1A to 4B for $50 bucks.... yes or no?

Vitamin_Sea

Portholes don't matter much to me one way or the other, but I'm much better up front with noise and motion than in back with vibration. I also like how the 1a porthole cabins are laid out. The 4b might seem smaller since there's two beds in the cabin vs. a twin and sofa. But the motion/vibration choice is probably the real issue.

:eek: you sure thats not deadliest catch! good grief:eek:

remember what goes up must come down! Seesaw?

midship is always recommended for a reason:) I am glad that I am not motion/nor sound sensitive when it comes to cruise ship rooms. Or may the LIT nightcaps take care of that for me:D

1A is forward on deck 2 with a sofa bed and a twin. 2 portholes

maybe noisy from the waves/anchor

4B is AFT on deck 2 with 2 twins... no window

Cabin would be fairly quiet

VIFP offer would be $50 more total to move to the 4B

Good idea?

I don't know about your ship specifically, but I have stayed aft on deck 2 before, and the noise was HORRIBLE!!! Some ships could be worse than others. That was on Triumph. My next time on Triumph, I was in a 1A porthole, and it was so wonderful! Yes, I did hear noises from the waves hitting the bow, but it wasn't that bad at all. Bigger waves will produce more noise, but the noise is consistent. The aft had very inconsistent noises & movements. Random crashing sounds, all at different intervals & volumes. Some sounded like we were hitting icebergs. For noise, I think forward is so much better than aft. Maybe other ships are better in the aft, but I have noticed vibrations and odd movements in the aft dining room on other ships as well. I have also had 1A porthole rooms on the Holiday, Dream, & a porthole room on Splendor. All were great. Consistent sounds of the waves hitting the bow, never sounding like bombs. In the rare calm waters, no noise at all.

To move from a lovely 1A porthole room to a 4B aft room, they had better be paying me plenty of money to do that. I certainly wouldn't pay to do it. The only exception would be if you were traveling with your spouse, so that you could put the 2 beds together in the 4B. Otherwise, I see no benefit to the 4B over the 1A porthole. Oh, the 1A porthole room is also significantly larger, about 3-4 feet in length larger.

We have loved our porthole rooms. The room is bigger and the ability to see is wonderful. The only time we found it noisy was when we were docking, but we were up and around, not sleeping so it was no big deal. Before I would move, I would look closely where the new room was. If it is near the valley where they start to cook breakfast at 4am, or under a club that would party till 3 am, that would be so much worse than waves.

From our experience on the Fantasy twice with the same porthole cabin (I think one or two from the very front) - definitely wouldn't give that up for an interior. We had some rollercoaster rides going in and out of Charleston, but noise was never an issue. And the expected "rumble" in the morning was also not as bad as we were anticipating. I loved being able to see out the porthole and sit up there/use it to store extra stuff. Would have loved a sofa too if you all make it up during the day.

Although I must admit the aft location might have been nice as we spent most of our time on Serenity. Course the extra walking helped work off the cruise food LOL.

Anyway, my two cents to further confuse your decision!

Edited by Bobblefrog

Stay with the porthole cabin, I would pay the $50 for the porthole cabin if I had to. We almost always book the porthole cabins. You are in the front of the ship and have much less hallway noise although you will hear the anchor drop at tender ports and the thrusters at pier ports, we are up anyway and the noise does not bother us...

Well... Rough water surely changes everything.

We have sailed Splendor twice before with AFT cabins and loved it.

I may just keep the 1A and bring ear plugs

As a side note, room service will actually bring you ear plugs. I found this out when I woke up at about 4 AM to my friend and the room service guy laughing at my snoring.

Keep the 1A. I love them. Many times the sofa bed side is more comfortable than the bed side. The wave sound is music to my ears reminding me that I am on a fabulous cruise. I hate it most of the cruises though when we don't hear any wave noise and the ship doesn't even rock me to sleep.

The noise and vibrations in the rear are much worse and not being able to look out a window is awful.

They would have to give me much more than $100 a person to trade my 1A for a 4B.

1A is forward on deck 2 with a sofa bed and a twin. 2 portholes

maybe noisy from the waves/anchor

4B is AFT on deck 2 with 2 twins... no window

Cabin would be fairly quiet

VIFP offer would be $50 more total to move to the 4B

Good idea?

I do not like forward cabins. In my experience, you feel more movement being forward. And the noise would bother me. So it would be worth it to me to pay a little more for the aft cabin. Aft is usually my first choice of locations.

I do not know the fwd porthole, (only had fwd OV and it was great), but I experienced the worst noise (ceiling to floor constantly shaking and squeezing) in an aft inside. I would avoid any low deck aft cabins.

We have loved our porthole rooms. The room is bigger and the ability to see is wonderful. The only time we found it noisy was when we were docking, but we were up and around, not sleeping so it was no big deal. Before I would move, I would look closely where the new room was. If it is near the valley where they start to cook breakfast at 4am, or under a club that would party till 3 am, that would be so much worse than waves.

We Still have the 1A

But The other cabins available are AFT under dining room/ some under galley

like at least 7 cabins open

If just you and a kid would keep the 1A. Havent found it that noisy except when they drop the anchor at tender ports and oh well want to get up and get out anyway:)

Yes I think we will keep it unless I get a cheap upsell call.

There is one Tender at HMC.

• 1 month later...
Just off Splendor today! Kept the 1A port holes cabin. (2211)

Was very roomy and not much noise.

I would imdeed take a 1A again. low price plus 2 port holes

Glad you did like it...I really think this will be my next choice, unless a great balcony deal...thanks for your feedback after the cruise!!..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

The only noise or vibration I noticed when I was forward in a porthole was when docking and leaving. I guess it was the anchor going down and up.

If there was other noise I didn't notice because I'm barely in my room when I cruise.

Glad you did like it...I really think this will be my next choice, unless a great balcony deal...thanks for your feedback after the cruise!!..Sarah

I thought the cabin was gonna be small but it wasnt. We moved the table to the side and that created even more space. For the price its very worth it.

The most noise really was when pulling into Grand Turk.

1/2 moon cay and Nassau was pretty quiet.

Sometimes during sailing you hear waves hit the hull but its not crazy loud.