Anchoring vs Docking in Dubrovnik

TxnAquarian

I've noticed that some Azamara itineraries anchor off the main town of Dubrovnik, while others dock far out. We docked on Celebrity last summer and found it a bit of a pain, so we are excited to see that our June 2016 AZ cruise will be anchoring. But I am wondering why AZ sometimes dock and sometimes anchors....also, how reliable is the anchoring/docking information on these itineraries?

Michael

I've noticed that some Azamara itineraries anchor off the main town of Dubrovnik, while others dock far out. We docked on Celebrity last summer and found it a bit of a pain, so we are excited to see that our June 2016 AZ cruise will be anchoring. But I am wondering why AZ sometimes dock and sometimes anchors....also, how reliable is the anchoring/docking information on these itineraries?

Michael

Docking in Dubrovnik is more inconvenient for the guests. We did that with the Quest last year and it seems we are docking also this year with Journey. Buses departed the dock every 30 minutes and it took us 20-30 minutes to drive into the town. Tendering must be the better option, but I have no idea why the dock is preferred. Maybe this has nothing to do with Azamara, but is the port authority's decision.

Tendering would mean non-stop operations and maximum 10 minutes into the center of the old town.

It depends on port loads. Larger ships always have to dock at Gruz. Smaller ships like Azamara can anchor off the Old Town and it looks like you lucked out because there isn't another small ship in on that day. If you wanted to check the arrangements prior to your cruise (in case another small ship slips in;)) this link takes you to the Port Authority page. Front page in Croatian, but should be self explanatory:

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

I have never anchored in Dubrovnik, even on Az. Always wanted to try it.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

We've done it both ways, definitely the Tender option is the best, however AZ lays on its own shuttle from the ship when it's docked. The worst bit is waiting for the return shuttle from the town.

I've also noticed that on this voyage, we are scheduled to be docked in Kotor. After tendering in on Celebrity last year, we are excited about this. However, it looks as if the Silver Spirit will be in Kotor on the same day and, from what I recall, the pier is only big enough to accommodate one ship. Does anyone know if there is space for both AZ and SS to be docked?

There is only space for one ship to dock in Kotor from what I remember. Can't see Silver Spirit will be there when you are.

Phil

I think your memory is very accurate.

When we were there, we were tendered in the morning since there was a ship already docked. The agreement was that that ship (can't remember what line) would vacate the dock in the p.m. and allow the Quest into that space.

Apparently the other ship requested that they remain where they were.

Captain Carl responded appropriately to that request and we docked :).

our Captains are the best at sea getting us prime dock space and i have moved from anchor to dock etc. we moved meters this winter in Osaka so the internet would work.. now that is why i sail on her.

our Captains are the best at sea getting us prime dock space and i have moved from anchor to dock etc. we moved meters this winter in Osaka so the internet would work.. now that is why i sail on her.

That has been my experience too. They all seem to take an active role and pride in it.

Phil

It depends on port loads. Larger ships always have to dock at Gruz. Smaller ships like Azamara can anchor off the Old Town and it looks like you lucked out because there isn't another small ship in on that day. If you wanted to check the arrangements prior to your cruise (in case another small ship slips in;)) this link takes you to the Port Authority page. Front page in Croatian, but should be self explanatory:

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

I have never anchored in Dubrovnik, even on Az. Always wanted to try it.

Phil

We arrive in Dubrovnik on the evening june 02 and are staying till the afternoon next day. On the day of arrival Silver Wind is there and the next day we are joined by Zuiderdam and Mein Schiff 3. Obviously I cannot see any reason for being docked. Last year we were alone, but still docked. I really don't let it bother me but, to answer the OP, yes it is better to have tenders into Dubrovnik. The bussing was not very efficient.