Impressions of First Time Azamara Cruiser

surfcitygirl

I have read a lot of forum posts comparing Azamara and Oceania, and now that I have been on both lines, I know what the Azamara fans are talking about. The interaction with the crew on the Journey was something I had never experienced before, and I have been cruising for many years on many lines (except what are considered the "luxury" lines). I really enjoyed getting to know the officers and crew and fist bumping with Captain Sindre and others. It really made you feel like part of the family. That spirit exhibited by the officers was also seen in much of the crew. Every day getting on the tender, there was Tony, the Cruise Director, to see you off. If you ever are blessed to have Tony, give him a hug for me. Some days the Captain was there too, or even on the dock to greet you when you stepped off the tender. Have never had a Captain of a ship wish me a Happy Birthday. Silly for me to mention, maybe, but memorable none the less. So Azamara really wins on this aspect. We also had a wonderful cabin upgrade, so kudos to Azamara on that also. The only part of the experience that fell short of Oceania was the food. Oceania is truly the foodie cruise line for us and there wasn't a lunch or dinner we didn't enjoy immensely. We did have some lovely meals on Azamara, particularly in Aqualina. Azamara's entertainment was also very good and we did not miss an evening show.

Another feature on Azamara that really stands out is the longer stays in ports. It was wonderful not to have to rush back to the ship. We choose this cruise also for the wonderful collection of ports: Istanbul, Mykonos, Santorini, Catania (for Taormina), Amalfi, and two days in Sorrento, where we also enjoyed Capri and Pompei. Both were very easy to get to. Also loved the Azamazing evening under the orange and lemon trees and the White Night Party. Both events added special memories to this cruise.

We choose our cruises based on value and itinerary and do not always stick to one line.

We will certainly choose Azamara again when the itinerary tickles our fancy.

I'm so happy to read such a positive post and so glad you liked Azamara. It was the first cruise we had ever gone on and I do believe we were spoiled.

I remember someone commenting that we were going on the best when I started asking questions about our cruise.

Thank you for taking the time to post. :)

Would be interested to know if you did any interesting excursions in Santorini?

We usually do our own thing. We took the first tender to shore and hopped on the Boatmen's "speedboat" to Oia, which includes a bus transfer back to Fira. Wandered around the town, which is beautiful, great views of the buildings cascading down the hill. There were only two ships in port most of the day, so it wasn't crowded.

We usually do our own thing. We took the first tender to shore and hopped on the Boatmen's "speedboat" to Oia, which includes a bus transfer back to Fira. Wandered around the town, which is beautiful, great views of the buildings cascading down the hill. There were only two ships in port most of the day, so it wasn't crowded.

Thanks for this info as I will be there next year.. very helpful.