Restaurants in Juneau for dinner

gxchan

The Hangar or Twisted Fish. Tracy’s gets good reviews (because it is good) but they serve the same King crab you can get in your local grocery store. It’s all frozen and it’s pricey. They do have fresh Dungeness.

There’s a new place opening downtown called McGivney’s Sports Bar that may be worth a look. Tracy from the crab shack is part owner.

Hangar on the Wharf is good, but I don't recall that they serve wine, only beer. Tracy's is not such a tourist trap; it's owned/managed by locals and the food, service, and atmosphere are very good. It's nice to have some excellent local options.

Ginnie - It's unusual to hear that other cruisers have been to Forks! :) Most people have only heard of it because of the "Twilight" craze!

We also love the "Red Dog Saloon" in Juneau. It's a fun place for tourists! And we will definitely be going back to Tracy's Crab Shack when we are in Juneau in June.

The Hangar or Twisted Fish. Tracy’s gets good reviews (because it is good) but they serve the same King crab you can get in your local grocery store. It’s all frozen and it’s pricey. They do have fresh Dungeness.

There’s a new place opening downtown called McGivney’s Sports Bar that may be worth a look. Tracy from the crab shack is part owner.

We go to where the locals go and skip the tourist traps. Go to the Hanger on the Wharf. http://www.hangaronthewharf.com/home Great food, good beer and you can watch the float planes come and go. Tracy's is overpriced and a real tourist trap, I don't of any locals that go there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have read reviews of both the Hangar and Twisted Fish and they are definitely on my list. I'm leaning toward the Hangar for dinner and maybe Twisted Fish for lunch. How far are they from where the ships dock? On past AK cruises I've seen cabs at/near the dock, so if it is a cab ride away that works.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have read reviews of both the Hangar and Twisted Fish and they are definitely on my list. I'm leaning toward the Hangar for dinner and maybe Twisted Fish for lunch. How far are they from where the ships dock? On past AK cruises I've seen cabs at/near the dock, so if it is a cab ride away that works.

They’re both in town and easily walkable. From the tram Twisted Fish is a couple blocks south and The Hangar is about 3 blocks or so north. Not sure where you will be docked but the tram is a central location to where the ships dock, for the most part.

Hangar on the Wharf is good, but I don't recall that they serve wine, only beer. Tracy's is not such a tourist trap; it's owned/managed by locals and the food, service, and atmosphere are very good. It's nice to have some excellent local options.

Tracys is FOR SURE a tourist trap, you pay 2 to 3 times the cost for the exact same cooked and flash frozen King crab as you do at any Costco in the lower 48.....that is the definition of a tourist trap...

Are Hangar or Twisted Fish good for seafood offerings other than crab? Or if not, are there other really good fish-focused (or at least lots of fish options available) restaurants in Juneau that anyone recommends?

(I'm not a fan of crab, but looove fish.)

Tracys is FOR SURE a tourist trap, you pay 2 to 3 times the cost for the exact same cooked and flash frozen King crab as you do at any Costco in the lower 48.....that is the definition of a tourist trap...

The Hangar, Twisted Fish, and Tracy's all provide their menus with prices online. Folks can read them, and decide where they'd like to eat. I don't find the seafood prices vary all that much between them, frankly. They all three cater to tourists (that's us). But to each his/her own, and aren't we lucky to have so many tasty choices prepared and served to us in gorgeous surroundings by nice folks. I have eaten at all three restaurants I mentioned above, I like all three, and I hope to eat again at all three some day:D

• 1 year later...
Ginnie - It's unusual to hear that other cruisers have been to Forks! :) Most people have only heard of it because of the "Twilight" craze!

We also love the "Red Dog Saloon" in Juneau. It's a fun place for tourists! And we will definitely be going back to Tracy's Crab Shack when we are in Juneau in June.

Hi Mary, I too have been to Forks. Once to check it out after I moved to WA from TX, then most recently we went hiking on the beaches out there. Shi Shi is my fave so far! It's just a little north of Forks.

The Hangar, Twisted Fish, and Tracy's all provide their menus with prices online. Folks can read them, and decide where they'd like to eat. I don't find the seafood prices vary all that much between them, frankly. They all three cater to tourists (that's us). But to each his/her own, and aren't we lucky to have so many tasty choices prepared and served to us in gorgeous surroundings by nice folks. I have eaten at all three restaurants I mentioned above, I like all three, and I hope to eat again at all three some day:D

Do you know which if any take reservations?

• 1 month later...
Do you know which if any take reservations?

Hi Kristy,

Twisted Fish and The Hangar both recommend Reservations. I am not sure about Tracy's. The first two also have nice websites, you can go there and check out their menus as well.

Randi