Labadee to the Citadelle Laferrière

tinytastyturtle

Hi, I will be in Labadee next month on RC's Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean sailing. I'm just wondering whether anyone has made it out of the resort and to the Citadelle Laferrière? If you have, I would be very grateful for any tips, and in particular for any recommendations of a reliable tour operator or driver. Many thanks in advance.

Hi, I will be in Labadee next month on RC's Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean sailing. I'm just wondering whether anyone has made it out of the resort and to the Citadelle Laferrière? If you have, I would be very grateful for any tips, and in particular for any recommendations of a reliable tour operator or driver. Many thanks in advance.

I read this on Trip Advisor......(my other favorite website..lol).

I have been to Labadee 3 times. LOVE IT....but I have no experience in leaving the port. Read Trip Advisor. I am sure they can help you.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answers-g147308-d262467-t1307490-My_husband_and_I_are_porting_at_Labadee_in_a_few.html

You won't be able to go there unless Royal Caribbean offers an excursion. You can't leave Labadee on your own or be picked up. They have talked about an excursion there but as far as I know they don't have one. Check your excursion offerings. I am going to be there in December on Celebrity and don't see it offered by Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are no excursions outside of the Labadee parameter...you will be staying on the private beach area or on the ship....no other options.

Royal Caribbean has offered excursions outside the Labadee parameter. Last time I was on a Royal cruise that stopped at Labadee they offered an excursion to a local village. Heck, on the wave runners we went about 20 miles down the coast and we got to see a view of the Citadel from offshore. The problem with having an excursion there is the poor infrastructure.

Edited by Charles4515

The only excursion that leaves the enclosed area is when the zip liners leave on all retain vehicles to the starting area way up on the hill. Other than that nothing available at this time.

We have this one available on my Silhouette sailing this December. They do take you there by boat. The roads are terrible. Even the workers we see at Labadee get there from their local villages I have been told by boat.

"Haitian Cultural Tour At Paradise Cove And Beach Break"

"Visit Le Village at Paradise Cove for a day of relaxation and education. Go straight to the private beach and lush tropical grotto. Or, better yet, follow your guide for a rare glimpse of Haitian life. Meet a local fisherman who'll teach you the tricks of the trade. Stop at a traditional village. Maybe even hear a few tales of voodoo magic. You'll still have plenty of time to hit the beach and Caribbean waters."

Edited by Charles4515

We have this one available on my Silhouette sailing this December. They do take you there by boat. The roads are terrible. Even the workers we see at Labadee get there from their local villages I have been told by boat.

"Haitian Cultural Tour At Paradise Cove And Beach Break"

"Visit Le Village at Paradise Cove for a day of relaxation and education. Go straight to the private beach and lush tropical grotto. Or, better yet, follow your guide for a rare glimpse of Haitian life. Meet a local fisherman who'll teach you the tricks of the trade. Stop at a traditional village. Maybe even hear a few tales of voodoo magic. You'll still have plenty of time to hit the beach and Caribbean waters."

NIce. Times are changing. Do not know if I would be interested in this.

Also, we did the jet skis 3x and the locals do come out at one of the stops to sell their wares, we were probably 20 yards off shore.

Sea Ya

NIce. Times are changing. Do not know if I would be interested in this.

Also, we did the jet skis 3x and the locals do come out at one of the stops to sell their wares, we were probably 20 yards off shore.

Sea Ya

I would not be interested in that one either. I would be interested in the Citadel. I believe it is a World Heritage Site. If a Citadel excursion were offered I would take it.

I recalled reading an article on Royal Caribbean and the Citadel. This discussion spurred me to google it. This was from 2010 and still not happened. Link below.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/visiting-labadee-for-a-number-of-reasons-including-a-site-visit-of-the-citadelle/

Edited by Charles4515

I've actually done the drive from near the Lab' site to near the Cit' site

in a four wheel drive averaging 20 mph and not particularly comfortable any part of the way!!!!!

It took a couple of hours one way . . . . we did it MUCH faster by boat on the return.

actually since it has been SO long since Cap Haitien has been a cruise ship port call I wonder what the 'tourist scene' is up at the Cit' .... altho Haiti IS still a popular destination from EU .. or so I'm told.

Back in the 80's a cruise ship visiting Cap H' usually had an excursion to the C' and you got on a donkey at the bottom of the mountain and rode up to see the fort .....

Thinking back .... I'm not sure there were many OTHER excursions from Cap H

• 2 weeks later...
The only excursion that leaves the enclosed area is when the zip liners leave on all retain vehicles to the starting area way up on the hill. Other than that nothing available at this time.

Hmm not entirely correct, I did a Discover Haiti Coastal Cruise, where a small boat takes you along the coast. They sail into a bay and when weather is nice (as it is most of the time there) you can see the Citadel from the bay.

I believe on this excursion you get to see most of Haiti. You see the locals from villages nearby fishing in their self made boats. DSCN0788_zpsbnomkfiz.jpgDSCN0789_zpsbbrrgxer.jpgDSCN0800_zpsmdosdewk.jpg

But even this tour is limited. You cannot go on land since this requires visa. I spoke to the locals who ran the boat (they live in the town of Labadee next to the resort) and they always go west.

You don't even get to see the large city of Cap-Haitien which is just 3 miles east from Labadee.

If you'd like to see the Citadel, I'd recommend going there on a land trip. I believe there are flights from Florida to Cap-Haitien :)

Edited by FrostieFingerz

I wonder what the 'tourist scene' is up at the Cit' .... altho Haiti IS still a popular destination from EU .. or so I'm told.

H

I wouldn't call Haiti popular among Europeans :p,

You can expect the citadel to be much much less crowded than other tourist destinations like Tulum or Machu Picchu, for instance :D