Sreeens/Screen Doors on Balcony Rooms

Chunder Worthy

[ATTACH]354067[/ATTACH]This is an old message but something similar is usually on every balcony door.

Yes, there's kvetching but so many of us have been affected by someone oblivious, rude or inconsiderate leaving their balcony door open. People do it. You see it all the time. But you'll also see many others come here on CC and complain about the lack of A/C and blame Princess when it's avoidable. Some go so far as withholding tips from their cabin steward. :(

I've had passengers in adjacent cabins who because of the noise from their open balcony door had to crank up their TV's volume so loud that I could hear it through the wall. Or when I'm enjoying the tranquility on my balcony & nextdoor they're also on their balcony with the door open & to hear the TV crank up the volume full blast.

Thus open balcony doors not only affect passenger comfort but can also result in noise pollution from passengers who are "oblivious, rude or inconsiderate" to other passengers. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Another thing to think about is that after your first sea day out of FLL, it's too hot to sleep with the door open. We have been offenders of sleeping with the door open but after the first day it's too darn hot and humid to do so.

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser

Maybe sometime in the far distant future, engineers will be able to put a switch on the air conditioning/ heating units in each cabin for " off".:cool:

If you've ever tried to balance a multi-zone high pressure HVAC system with a few thousand thermostats, you'll know that its not as simple as putting and on/off switch in. Besides, there are far more issues involved in air movement on a ship than just keeping your room cool. The system is actually designed to keep your room at a slight positive pressure with regards to the passageway, so that any smoke will not enter your room. Opening the balcony door upsets this pressure balance, and the only way to "turn off" the A/C completely would be to stop the flow of incoming fresh air, which would further complicate the air balance, since the bathroom exhaust fan also provides the required 20% air change-over and runs all the time.

I noticed however, the sign you posted suggested one keep their balcony doors closed to "maintain a comfortable climate in [my] stateroom." If this is such a widespread problem --- and many here obviously echo the same sentiments -- is there some reason Princess doesn't amend the sign to point out that it could affect (air conditioners in cabins of) other passengers?
It's the old KISS principle... keep it simple. Not only is there a notice but I believe there's a mention during Muster.

It's surprising how many people receive all kinds of information, not just about balcony doors and the A/C, and totally ignore it or think it doesn't apply to them, even with detailed, specific and repeated instructions/warnings. Case in point: don't sit on your balcony railing. Oy! People sit on railings, put their toddlers on railings and hold them with one hand while turned and talking to people behind them (yes, I've seen this with my own horrified eyes), try to climb from one balcony to another over the railing, etc.

People ignore what they don't understand and if you get into the reasons why it's not a good idea to keep the balcony door open, their brains don't process it so it's ignored.

Edited by Pam in CA

If the water reaches your cabin that's a whole other can of worms.

On a trans-Atlantic on the Ocean Princess in cabin 7006 (forward balcony on deck 7 immediately under the bridge), we had so much water hitting our balcony from the ocean that it was leaking into the cabin under the door. If the door had been open, the room would have been flooded.

However, there was no way it was going to be open. It was a forward-opening door (not a sliding door), and it was not really possible to open it with that much headwind.

It's surprising how many people receive all kinds of information, not just about balcony doors and the A/C, and totally ignore it or think it doesn't apply to them, even with detailed, specific and repeated instructions/warnings....

People ignore what they don't understand and if you get into the reasons why it's not a good idea to keep the balcony door open, their brains don't process it so it's ignored.

The very point I tried to make earlier...

On a trans-Atlantic on the Ocean Princess in cabin 7006 (forward balcony on deck 7 immediately under the bridge), we had so much water hitting our balcony from the ocean that it was leaking into the cabin under the door. If the door had been open, the room would have been flooded.

However, there was no way it was going to be open. It was a forward-opening door (not a sliding door), and it was not really possible to open it with that much headwind.

The power of the ocean is amazing & this photo of the USS Reagan shows what I experienced of the USS Midway...water splashing onto the forward end of the flight deck which is 20 stories above the water.

image.jpg.09368e83f13515bb33a6eac65cc610ca.jpg

While we are on the topic of cabin doors, I wish people would keep their "porch light" off at night on their balcony and their drapes closed in the evening when their cabins lights are on. I enjoy waking to the natural morning light but sometimes people leave their porch light on all throughout the night so we have to close our drapes and awaken in the dark. I think people who have lived in apartments at some time in their life are more aware how their own activities affect others. I know it's never intentional.:rolleyes:

While we are on the topic of cabin doors, I wish people would keep their "porch light" off at night on their balcony and their drapes closed in the evening when their cabins lights are on. I enjoy waking to the natural morning light but sometimes people leave their porch light on all throughout the night so we have to close our drapes and awaken in the dark. I think people who have lived in apartments at some time in their life are more aware how their own activities affect others. I know it's never intentional.:rolleyes:

I forgot about that. I like to sit out in the dark and the light is annoying.

Many don't have any idea that there is a switch near the balcony door balcony door or that the light is even on. I usually ask Stewart to turn off the light in the AM when he/she is cleaning. :)

I was on the cat crew & there were no launches from those cats when it's that bad & the Midway didn't have angle deck cats. ;)

Of course the fact that NavSea screwed the Midway up beyond belief didn't help. All the modifications and upgrades without inclining tests led to an inherently unstable ship, and then led to the hull blisters, which created even more problems. That was the worst ship ever built (or modified) to launch aircraft from (in her later years).

Of course the fact that NavSea screwed the Midway up beyond belief didn't help. All the modifications and upgrades without inclining tests led to an inherently unstable ship, and then led to the hull blisters, which created even more problems. That was the worst ship ever built (or modified) to launch aircraft from (in her later years).

Definitely not a good 4 year overhaul at Hunters Point & the first post-dry dock crossing to Hawaii calm seas created in a hole in the sponson deck at the forward elevator. :eek:

Although that resulted in an extended 5 day stay in Pearl Harbor while it was repaired. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer