Lido cabana on Alaska cruise- requesting opinions

ChristyS

We had a Lido cabana for the first time on our Caribbean Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. Best money I have ever spent on a cruise. It gave us someplace other than our cabin to call our own. The service was great as well, with complimentary sparkling wine and snacks in the afternoon. There was a fruit basket and bottled water at all times in the Cabana. Our Cabana steward also offered to bring our breakfast and lunch each day, as well as any cocktails. There was a menu on the table in the Cabana.

When I cruise to Alaska I want to be outdoors in the fresh air, either sitting on the promenade watching the sea, and activity nearer the waterline, or on an aft deck. Outdoors on an aft deck also provides a more expansive view than sitting in a Lido cabana does.

I would save my money for a fabulous shore excursion, such as flight seeing.

We were on the Eurodam a couple of years ago for a Baltic Sea cruise. The weather on that cruise was probably similar (or even better since it never rained) than what you will experience on an Alaska cruise. Based on our experience, I was glad we had not paid for a Lido cabana and this is why:

1. The retractable roof was never opened, so you can't expect to have any "fresh" air on the Lido deck. And, with the roof closed, the noise will reverberate, so you won't have a quiet sanctuary.

2. Also, the cabanas were right next to the walkway people used to get from one end of the Lido deck to the other. You will have people endlessly walking by your cabana and you won't have any privacy unless you close the curtains--and that would be a bit claustrophobic, I'd think.

When we wanted to get out for some fresh air and quiet, we found deck chairs on the Promenade. There were seldom any other people out there.

We enjoy the Lido Cabanas on both Eurodam and NA (although we feel they are better placed on NA than on Eurodam)

Once, on Eurodam, we were assigned the first cabana closest to the Spa Entrance. If you have a choice, I would not recommend this cabana. I don't know if they still do it or not, but they had the deck sales and a person was very loud on a microphone for a few hours in the open space right next to our cabana. I don't think you'd hear it as much if you were down the line further.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums