Amsterdam Alaska from Seattle

Calgirl45

I don't have copies, but I was on the Amsterdam 2 weeks ago.

We went to the main dining room 4 times. The menu changed a bit each night but I had:

-New York strip steak

-Salmon

-Beef Tenderloin

-filet mignon and lobster

-sides were always some sort of veggies

-also had salads and the French onion soup. Which I thought was great.

-for deserts we had various chocolate cakes each night, which were great and something called the baked Alaska, which was amazing.

Buffett is your typical buffet food. No always found something to eat.

Entertainment was good. In the Queens lounger there was:

-Amsterdam singers and dancers have 3 different shows they will do. I thought the shows were good.

-there was a lady singer. But we didn't go to any of her shows.

-Thomas John, a comedian juggler who placed 4th on America's got talent.

While it is a smaller ship and it was at capacity, it never felt crowded.

We don't have kids, but I'd say spend time outside on the deck, esp in the passages. I found I could hang out on the deck and saw plenty of whales during my cruise.

I'd also say, if you haven't booked any excursions in Sitka, do the Sea Ottrt and wild life quest. It's a good wildlife excursion for families. There were plenty of families with children on this when we took it.

It's a two story boat with inside and outside viewing areas.

We saw tons of sea otters, eagles, deer and humpback whales. Highly recommended!

Our cruise on the Amsterdam is probably after yours. We'll be embarking on August 21. I hope you'll post a review here if you return before we leave. There isn't much specific to this ship and this summer in Alaska that I have seen.

We just got back this morning from the Amsterdam! It was great. I have 4 kiddos, aged 7,7,11, and 14. My younger kids had a great trip, but my oldest was super bored, and super seasick. The trip to Juneau was really rough. I'll dig through and see what I have as far as programs, but the kids club was amazing. Seriously, a lifesaver for me. The food was ok, always something to eat. Lots of ice cream! We had a magic show, a comedian, and the ships dancers. Bingo, which the kids could play. Mainly my kids were in the pool, the kids club, the movies, eating or sleeping. The oldest loved the library, games, books and puzzles.. But he mainly just hung out with his old mom. :D The weather was fantastic, my kids got tans from swimming. The only thing that really took me by surprise was how deep the pools are. The outside pool was 6ft 9in deep and the lido pool was 5ft 9. My 7yo daughter snugged up to me and said, momma.. Can we come back for more days, just with dadda next time?? Mind you, this child cried the whole first day from missing her dad, so I say this was a successful trip.

My kids (11, 10, 8, 7) loved Club HAL, and the pool, and the food (MDR, buffet, afternoon tea)! We went to trivia together. I actually just have a question for Mamascott, here. Did you travel with another adult, or just the 4 kids? I'm wondering how you were able to stay together. Thanks!

I'm wondering the same thing.... How did Mamascott arrange cabin(s) for 4 children and herself? We took 3 grandkids and had to take two cabins, so it was grandpa + 1 boy and grandma + 2 girls, which worked out fine enough.

The kids had a wonderful time. Swimming and eating were tops, watching for wildlife came in second and the rest of the time they enjoyed a variety of fun with the kids activities, shows, late night movies - extra special treat to stay up late! The girls and i had room service breakfast which was such a treat for them and the older girl like tea with grandma, very sophisticated! m--

Yep. My mom came with us. The girls slept with me, and the boys with my mom. That was how it was supposed to go anyways. The reality was they all fought over sleeping with me, and I almost ended up sleeping in the tub. :D