Post cruise car rental Miami --> FLL for the day

mitsugirly

We will be coming in (on a Sunday) from our cruise and will have the entire day to find something to do before we catch our flight at FLL at 9:15pm.

We decided the best thing to do is to rent a car and drive there ourselves and find something to do for the day (especially since we will have our luggage).

We thought about going to The Discovery Museum for the day (which closes at 6pm). Then maybe grab a bite to eat and head to the airport. That should take up a majority of the day for us...I hope. :o

My question is, what car rental company to use once we get off the ship and how do we get there?

I seen that Alamo had a place right across the bridge, but of course not within walking distance. I tried calling their 1-800 number and (sorry) the guy was an idiot and couldn't answer any of my questions with certainty. He first said I would have to find one of the FREE cruise line shuttles to the airport :eek: that the ships offer. L-O-L!! Seriously? Then he said I would need a ride to Alamo across the bridge. Then he said that they "might" offer a shuttle with Alamo that picks up at the cruise port. Then said he'd check and then came back and said "I think so". I ask what do I do once I get off the ship...do I call them and let them know I have made it out of customs and he said "no, I believe the run every 1/2 hour". So there's that many people renting cars that they would just run their Alamo shuttles every 1/2 hour? Super confusing. I can't/won't book something on a "maybe" they have a shuttle. :rolleyes:

So I found a number online, which said they were closed. However, I called anyhow to see if the recording would give any information. It stated they are CLOSED on Sundays. :eek: Um ok. So....I can't rent a car on a Sunday with them?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences? Advice? :p

National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttles between POM and their MIA airport location; show the shuttle driver your printed reservation paperwork. If you get a good deal from someone else at MIA the cab fare from POM is a flat rate of $27+tip.

A taxi to downtown car rental agencies close to POM (Avis, Hertz, etc.) will run about $12+ There are many reports that these close by agencies - especially Hertz :( - are overwhelmed with cruise customers (some dropping off cars, some picking up). Wait times of 2+ hours are sometimes reported. :eek:

Good luck!

National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttles between POM and their MIA airport location; show the shuttle driver your printed reservation paperwork. If you get a good deal from someone else at MIA the cab fare from POM is a flat rate of $27+tip.

A taxi to downtown car rental agencies close to POM (Avis, Hertz, etc.) will run about $12+ There are many reports that these close by agencies - especially Hertz :( - are overwhelmed with cruise customers (some dropping off cars, some picking up). Wait times of 2+ hours are sometimes reported. :eek:

Good luck!

Ahh...very interesting. My plan was to pickup (Enterprise)at FLL return to their downtown location and hop on their shuttle to POM. But it sounds like returning to MIA may save some time if Enterprise is overwhelmed like the others. Thanks for the info!

Sixt downtown is less known by cruisers (or less used due to loyalty programs etc). Small branch, three counters. Short cab ride, young European cars like BMW, Mercedes. Been there three times throughout the last years, always very fast.

https://www.sixt.com/car-rental/usa/miami-fl/miami-downtown

edit: Sixt FLL offers a free 3 minute shuttle to the airport rental car center;

https://www.sixt.com/car-rental/usa/fort-lauderdale/fort-lauderdale-airport

"At the Rent a Car Center go to Bus Stop 7. Our orange and black courtesy shuttles run 24/7 and will pick you up at any time of the day. After a short 3 minute ride you will be enjoying our unique location and your brand new rental car! If you cannot find our shuttle bus or to order a pick up please call us at our toll free number: 1(888) 747-7498. You can also track the shuttle here: http://sixtfllpublic.etaspot.net/"

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Sixt downtown is less known by cruisers (or less used due to loyalty programs etc). Small branch, three counters. Short cab ride, young European cars like BMW, Mercedes. Been there three times throughout the last years, always very fast.

https://www.sixt.com/car-rental/usa/miami-fl/miami-downtown

edit: Sixt FLL offers a free 3 minute shuttle to the airport rental car center;

https://www.sixt.com/car-rental/usa/fort-lauderdale/fort-lauderdale-airport

"At the Rent a Car Center go to Bus Stop 7. Our orange and black courtesy shuttles run 24/7 and will pick you up at any time of the day. After a short 3 minute ride you will be enjoying our unique location and your brand new rental car! If you cannot find our shuttle bus or to order a pick up please call us at our toll free number: 1(888) 747-7498. You can also track the shuttle here: http://sixtfllpublic.etaspot.net/"

When I was on google earth, I did see this place listed. But, I had never heard of them before, so didn't bother to look them up. So, I did now. I do see the "nicer" cars, but yet they come with a "nicer" price. :eek: But they do have regular cars with a similar price as other rental places. However, when I tried to put in information to get a quote, there was nothing that told me that you could pick up there in Miami and drop off in FLL. :confused:

I'm confused a little about the instructions. lol You take a 3 minute ride to the AIRPORT? Then go to a bus stop for another 3 minute ride to the car rental place? Looking on the map, it's right there at the port. :confused:

Good luck!

Thanks for this information. A 2+ hour wait sometimes. :eek: Yikes!

If you are a Costco member, you can rent a car on their travel website at a very reasonable cost. We travelled from Miami Airport to Fort Lauderdale Airport in September and weren't charged a drop-off fee. The rental company also provided free shuttle service from FLL to the Fort Lauderdale Cruise Terminal. I believe the company we used was Alamo.

Regarding stuff to do around Miami, you might find this website useful:

http://miamiflorida.ca

When I was on google earth, I did see this place listed. But, I had never heard of them before, so didn't bother to look them up. So, I did now. I do see the "nicer" cars, but yet they come with a "nicer" price. :eek: But they do have regular cars with a similar price as other rental places. However, when I tried to put in information to get a quote, there was nothing that told me that you could pick up there in Miami and drop off in FLL. :confused:

Hm, putting in the Miami downtown as pickup and FLL as drop off in the planner should work, we have done one ways with them in FL (Downtown -> MIA airport).

I'm confused a little about the instructions. lol You take a 3 minute ride to the AIRPORT? Then go to a bus stop for another 3 minute ride to the car rental place? Looking on the map, it's right there at the port. :confused:

In FLL (never been there) Sixt is located off the airport rental center, I assume they set up a free shuttle between the airport rental center and their "remote" branch. That's the short hop. :) It would the other way around for you when dropping the car: drive to Sixt FLL branch somewhere near the airport, drop off, take the shuttle to the airport rental center, proceed to terminal. ;)

Sixt might have a discount code in their newsletter for first time customers maybe?

If you are a Costco member, you can rent a car on their travel website at a very reasonable cost. We travelled from Miami Airport to Fort Lauderdale Airport in September and weren't charged a drop-off fee. The rental company also provided free shuttle service from FLL to the Fort Lauderdale Cruise Terminal. I believe the company we used was Alamo.

Regarding stuff to do around Miami, you might find this website useful:

http://miamiflorida.ca

No, not a member of Costco. I've heard of them, but never seen one around here before.

We will be going to Ft Lauderdale for the day (not Miami). :)

Hm, putting in the Miami downtown as pickup and FLL as drop off in the planner should work, we have done one ways with them in FL (Downtown -> MIA airport).

In FLL (never been there) Sixt is located off the airport rental center, I assume they set up a free shuttle between the airport rental center and their "remote" branch. That's the short hop. :) It would the other way around for you when dropping the car: drive to Sixt FLL branch somewhere near the airport, drop off, take the shuttle to the airport rental center, proceed to terminal. ;)

Sixt might have a discount code in their newsletter for first time customers maybe?

I might have to just call them to get pricing and info. On their site, it only has what location to put in but no area to put in a drop off location. I'll see if I can find the newsletter sign up. Thanks for the info.

Silly me, I just found that they automatically have a box check marked (to return to same location) and that was the problem.

After unchecking the box, it allowed me to put in FLL.

:eek: For the cheapest car they have, which is a Chevy ?Spark?:rolleyes: It's $120.03 :eek: Seriously? Are they joking?

Ugh. I'm having so many problems with this car rental thing. I now wish I would have just booked a hotel in FLL and stayed the night and flew out the following day. :(

I have tried for about a week now to get in touch with Alamo there at the port and no one ever answers the phone, even though it's during their open hours. I see this is a common complaint from others online (never answering the phone).

I tried, once again, putting in my information for a car (pick up and return) and then it said that the hours I'm requesting, they are not open. So, on to the next plan....

I figured I would just book one from Miami airport, since they are open 24/7. Struck out again when they told me that they do not have any shuttle service from the cruise port to the airport.

However, they DID mention that Enterprise does do the shuttle from the cruise port to the airport. Ok...I have a lead, let's try this again.

Checked their site and they are open during the hours needed and they have some cheap $20 something cars for rent. I call the Miami airport location to confirm about the shuttle. Yes, they do offer a free shuttle from the cruise port to the airport to pick up the car FROM 7A-3PM. GREAT! That will work! They said there was no need to call them, they would be running the shuttles off and on during those times.

However...before getting off the phone with them, I thought to ask them "How often do the shuttles run back and forth?" Her reply was usually every 1 hour and 45 minutes. :eek: Or...unless they fill up quicker than that and then factor in the driving time. :eek: O M G! So I might seriously be waiting for almost 2 hours just for the shuttle to take us to the airport, then the waiting at the airport to rent the car. Geesh. It may be an all day event just trying to get a car before we ever make it to the FLL area. :(

I'm getting a little stressed right now to say the least. :o

Does the rentalcars.com website check the opening hours when planning/searching?

Got some better prices on the known US companies, al MIA pickup though. Not sure why Sixt is so expensive on the 3rd, too much demand I guess. November (our next cruise) seems to be some 4 times cheaper with them.

Does the rentalcars.com website check the opening hours when planning/searching?

Got some better prices on the known US companies, al MIA pickup though. Not sure why Sixt is so expensive on the 3rd, too much demand I guess. November (our next cruise) seems to be some 4 times cheaper with them.

I wasn't aware of that site. Thanks. There's places on there I have never heard of. There's a check box you can mark that says "Shuttle" on it. I checked it and it gave me the listings of the companies. However, it doesn't say shuttle from WHERE. LOL I might have to call all of them and see.

Ugh. I'm having so many problems with this car rental thing. I now wish I would have just booked a hotel in FLL and stayed the night and flew out the following day. :(

I have tried for about a week now to get in touch with Alamo there at the port and no one ever answers the phone, even though it's during their open hours. I see this is a common complaint from others online (never answering the phone).

I tried, once again, putting in my information for a car (pick up and return) and then it said that the hours I'm requesting, they are not open. So, on to the next plan....

I figured I would just book one from Miami airport, since they are open 24/7. Struck out again when they told me that they do not have any shuttle service from the cruise port to the airport.

However, they DID mention that Enterprise does do the shuttle from the cruise port to the airport. Ok...I have a lead, let's try this again.

Checked their site and they are open during the hours needed and they have some cheap $20 something cars for rent. I call the Miami airport location to confirm about the shuttle. Yes, they do offer a free shuttle from the cruise port to the airport to pick up the car FROM 7A-3PM. GREAT! That will work! They said there was no need to call them, they would be running the shuttles off and on during those times.

However...before getting off the phone with them, I thought to ask them "How often do the shuttles run back and forth?" Her reply was usually every 1 hour and 45 minutes. :eek: Or...unless they fill up quicker than that and then factor in the driving time. :eek: O M G! So I might seriously be waiting for almost 2 hours just for the shuttle to take us to the airport, then the waiting at the airport to rent the car. Geesh. It may be an all day event just trying to get a car before we ever make it to the FLL area. :(

I'm getting a little stressed right now to say the least. :o

The Alamo is a small desk at the Intercontinental Hotel and it is indeed closed on Sunday. The Budget, Avis and Sixt offices downtown are open.

We will be coming in (on a Sunday) from our cruise and will have the entire day to find something to do before we catch our flight at FLL at 9:15pm.

We decided the best thing to do is to rent a car and drive there ourselves and find something to do for the day (especially since we will have our luggage).

We thought about going to The Discovery Museum for the day (which closes at 6pm). Then maybe grab a bite to eat and head to the airport. That should take up a majority of the day for us...I hope. :o

My question is, what car rental company to use once we get off the ship and how do we get there?

I seen that Alamo had a place right across the bridge, but of course not within walking distance. I tried calling their 1-800 number and (sorry) the guy was an idiot and couldn't answer any of my questions with certainty. He first said I would have to find one of the FREE cruise line shuttles to the airport :eek: that the ships offer. L-O-L!! Seriously? Then he said I would need a ride to Alamo across the bridge. Then he said that they "might" offer a shuttle with Alamo that picks up at the cruise port. Then said he'd check and then came back and said "I think so". I ask what do I do once I get off the ship...do I call them and let them know I have made it out of customs and he said "no, I believe the run every 1/2 hour". So there's that many people renting cars that they would just run their Alamo shuttles every 1/2 hour? Super confusing. I can't/won't book something on a "maybe" they have a shuttle. :rolleyes:

So I found a number online, which said they were closed. However, I called anyhow to see if the recording would give any information. It stated they are CLOSED on Sundays. :eek: Um ok. So....I can't rent a car on a Sunday with them?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences? Advice? :p

We used Avis car rental in Miami in September. We disembarked around 8:00am (self embark), the van was already outside waiting for us. He asked my husband if he wanted to go ahead and go, or should he wait for more passengers, my husband told him if we could go, that'd be great, and off we went! First in line at the Avis car rental counter! We will be using them again this month, in hopes of great service again. Hope this helps! Can't wait to read your review after your cruise, your reviews are my fave!!

Edited to add - we used the Avis location at 99 Southeast 2nd Street (Cruise Ship Passengers Only) Miami, FL, 33131 , US phone: 305-379-1317

We dropped off at a different location, and there was no $100 fee like Enterprise charges.

Edited by wrcjr98
adding Avis address & phone number

We are renting from Alamo at Miami and returning to FLL. I got cheap rates through Costco. My friend just got off a cruise 3 weeks ago and used the shuttle to Alamo. Said they have a sign by pick up spot. They waited 20 min or so for it to arrive and fill. There are 5 of us, so I plan to just grab a cab. I believe it is a flat $27 rate then adding tip still isn't bad.

The Alamo is a small desk at the Intercontinental Hotel and it is indeed closed on Sunday. The Budget, Avis and Sixt offices downtown are open.

Thanks for the info. Do any of these other places have a shuttle from the cruise port to their place? (Well, other than Sixt, since they have ridiculous prices for that day). :confused:

We used Avis car rental in Miami in September. We disembarked around 8:00am (self embark), the van was already outside waiting for us. He asked my husband if he wanted to go ahead and go, or should he wait for more passengers, my husband told him if we could go, that'd be great, and off we went! First in line at the Avis car rental counter! We will be using them again this month, in hopes of great service again. Hope this helps! Can't wait to read your review after your cruise, your reviews are my fave!!

Edited to add - we used the Avis location at 99 Southeast 2nd Street (Cruise Ship Passengers Only) Miami, FL, 33131 , US phone: 305-379-1317

We dropped off at a different location, and there was no $100 fee like Enterprise charges.

Thanks. I'll give them a call.

Wait, Enterprise charges a $100 fee to return at a different location? They didn't tell me anything about this and the online reservation didn't mention it or add $100 to the price.

We are renting from Alamo at Miami and returning to FLL. I got cheap rates through Costco. My friend just got off a cruise 3 weeks ago and used the shuttle to Alamo. Said they have a sign by pick up spot. They waited 20 min or so for it to arrive and fill. There are 5 of us, so I plan to just grab a cab. I believe it is a flat $27 rate then adding tip still isn't bad.

Which Alamo? The one right by the cruise port or did you have to go to the airport to pick up? (Since you only mentioned "Miami"). Because the airport said they don't have a shuttle and the one by the cruise port is closed on Sundays, so we wouldn't be able to use them. :(

Look down the posts for the thread titled car rental shuttle from Port of Miami. It is a recent thread talking about the shuttle bus for National, Alamo, and Enterprise. I haven't talked to my friend but it sounds like it's still there. I'm on my phone so I can't link the thread. On my phone it's maybe 20 threads down

Mitsugirly,

WE are kinda in the same "boat" We are doing a girls cruise in april. Flying into FLL the day before. Return flights after the cruise are at all different times, as we live all across the states (and Canada)

Are you staying somewhere pre cruise??

We talked about a car rental post cruise. With 4 women splitting the cost, we figured it wouldn't be bad. However, I ran into the same problems as you, (except you tried even harder than I did) Expensive, time consuming, and a all around hassle.

So what we have decided to do is to return to our pre cruise hotel. We are staying at the Courtyard FLL airport/cruiseport. ANd I called and talked to them. We can come back to the hotel and use the pool and grounds, and of course we will patron the restaurant and bars. We will not get a rooms, just lounge around and chill out. And since we all 4 have flights home at different times, we can each shuttle (free) to the airport when we need to.

We still haven't decided if we are going to do the jiffyjeff shuttle from port of miami to the hotel, or if we are going to taxi or uber. When splitting the cost 4 ways, the price really isn't that bad.

Just thought I would throw out another option!!

If it was me, rather than worry about a shuttle I'd just do what someone else suggested and catch a cab to the rental car center at MIA. Like someone mentioned, it's only around $27 or so. I know you said you don't have Costco but do you have AAA? I check rates between both of them whenever we need to rent a car and both are usually pretty good on prices. Also, since they have toll roads in FL you may find yourself on a toll road. I've found Alamo is usually less expensive with the daily toll usage charge. JMHO

Thanks for the info. Do any of these other places have a shuttle from the cruise port to their place? (Well, other than Sixt, since they have ridiculous prices for that day). :confused:

Thanks. I'll give them a call.

Wait, Enterprise charges a $100 fee to return at a different location? They didn't tell me anything about this and the online reservation didn't mention it or add $100 to the price.

When we called Enterprise to rent a car from Key West to Miami, we were quoted a $100 drop fee, and when my mother in law called Enterprise in to rent a car in central Florida to be dropped in Miami, they quoted her a $100 additional fee. Perhaps there is no fee when picking up in Miami and dropping at Fort Lauderdale, since they are so close?

Just got off the Reflection in Miami on Feb 6th. Had prebooked a car with Budget. Used location "Port of Miami, SE 2nd St". Waited about 10 minutes for shuttle. He did not wait to fill up, as no one else was waiting. So it was just my sister and me on the shuttle. 10 minutes to rental location. 20 minute wait for car. Not too bad IMO. Drove to FLL and returned car there. Return process takes about 5 minutes, if that.

Rental cost was $70-ish once taxes were included. I'm still waiting for my toll road charges to hit my credit card.

Edited by irishgal1970

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone know if Thrifty has a location on SE 2nd Street? Their website lists a CruisePort location but that's it. I can't seem to find out any more info. When I tried to call the main 1-800 number for Thrifty they told me the location has no phone??

Thanks so much!