Celebrity Reflection January 14 to 21 2017

Bimmer09

Hi Norris! Reading along & just wanted to let you know that I'm also enjoying your wonderful review! I found my 1st Norris review a few months ago while researching Alaskan cruises for 2018 & now I'm hooked! This is just what I need in February in Buffalo (although it will be 45-50 here today)!

Hi Norris! Reading along & just wanted to let you know that I'm also enjoying your wonderful review! I found my 1st Norris review a few months ago while researching Alaskan cruises for 2018 & now I'm hooked! This is just what I need in February in Buffalo (although it will be 45-50 here today)!

Hi and thanks for the kind comments! Glad you are enjoying and especially glad you used one of my Alaska reviews for research. You read the Star Princess review from September I imagine. We'll go back to Alaska-same ports over and over but always something interesting to do on excursions.

Cheers!

Norris

Great review Norris, been on the Reflection before and like you think she is a wonderful ship, we have tried all the speciality resturants except Murano. We intend to try it when we again sail on Reflection in August in the Med, so looking forward to your opinion on that restaurant.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

I have known from your previous revious reviews that you were a drummer on the SON, but I had never heard your story about how you ended up working on her. Some things in life are meant to be, and that sure sounds like one of them. :D

We have not yet sailed out of Miami because it is a much longer drive for us than Port Canaveral for us, and the little bit farther that Miami is past Port Everglades has put us just a bit outside our comfort zone to drive down on the day we cruise. After watching your sailaway video I do think I would love that sailaway, so I may just have to re-think that comfort zone! :D

The LCG looks like one specialty restaurant we would really enjoy! When we finally book a cruise on Celebrity, I will have to make sure it is on a ship that has a LCG.

Hi Norris,

I am visiting from the Princess board as well...we, too, sail both lines, and I lurk on other boards as well, just to keep informed.

We are just back from the Crown P, Rio de Janeiro to Valpairiso, and YES...I drank my fair share of excellent Malbecs!!! Definitely a good trip for wines!!

Looking forward (although sad to hear it is winding down) to reading the rest of your review!

Cheers,

Tracy

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Forums mobile app

We are back opposite the shores of the Labadee complex.

32771022302_6cb53e3a1a_b.jpg

Lots of water toys and structures there.

32081547114_520598b6f8_b.jpg

Private cabanas

32081549474_a9793e43e2_b.jpg

The zipline which we'll see more of later

32924583035_dc5ec7eac7_b.jpg

[/quote

Did the zipline--tremendous fun!

Trip, I so much want to do that on my next visit to Labadee.The view from the launch tower must be amazing. I'll have bits of video and some photos a little later. Was it $95? I heard that number from a rider who had just got off.

I have been very busy at work this week and haven't had as much time to write as I would like but am off work on Monday and hope to do a chunk.

Thanks, as always, for reading this far.

Norris

Hi Norris, Amsterdam checking in here. :-)

Thanks so much for giving me another virtual vacation! The combination of your wit + pictures and Carol's notes makes for a wonderful read every time. It's so much fun to see the stuff you guys have been up to! Reading this review while listening to one of the 'ocean/beach sounds' video's you can find on youtube makes it even better, hahaha

Sorry that it's already coming to an end again. :-/

Trip, I so much want to do that on my next visit to Labadee.The view from the launch tower must be amazing. I'll have bits of video and some photos a little later. Was it $95? I heard that number from a rider who had just got off.

I have been very busy at work this week and haven't had as much time to write as I would like but am off work on Monday and hope to do a chunk.

Norris

Norris,

I think it was $99 pp. Well worth mounting the GoPro for. There's a mini warm up version they make you go through that's about a 15 second ride. The actual zip lines takes just over a minute. The views are tremendous and it's quite a thrill. This is a chair style version. Pam and I did a different type in P.R. where you lie on your stomach in a sleeping bag type of hook up . It was over a mile long and we were 850 ft in the air. These were our first attempts at zip lining and we loved them both. I'll try to send some video for your perusal. Have a good weekend.

Trip

Norris[/

Norris,

Made a quick one

Trip

https://quik.gopro.com/v/XEefbhBm8v/

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Norris[/

Norris,

Made a quick one

Trip

https://quik.gopro.com/v/XEefbhBm8v/

Great video clip! It's now a must do when next in Labadee.

Thanks for putting that up so fast!

Norris

We were making our way back to where we started just two hours ago so it was only 1 p.m

32924566415_896f15d0a4_b.jpg

We were dropped off at the tour boat pier

32544167260_b208052c1f_b.jpg

32800773321_e050f2c999_b.jpg

32771067602_d5325eb92e_b.jpg

I smell burgers! Over there!

32924585615_d03390a077_b.jpg

There were some seats by the pier with an umbrella for shade so we sat and considered our next move using a map of the complex.
The Suites beach-Barefoot was quite a ways away and I noticed on the map it said Grand Suites and above. Grand Suite? What's that. I figured it was an RCI cabin only and wondered if a lowly Sky Suite would be turned away?

We could take the tram over-a tractor engine pulling a couple of wagons with seats. But wait! What's that smell? Smells like lunch-what a great idea! Map reader Carol found 3 buffet stations and there was one just a short walk away at Dragon's Plaza!

With two heavy cameras around my neck and a camera bag over one shoulder I couldn't take pics in the buffet lines but got myself a burger and some toppings and some little mini steaks and a hotdog and a bit of salad and then joined a line for drinks which slowed me down a bit. My food's going to get cold I said inwardly. Carol was meantime ahead of me with her own selections as she didn't line up for beer. There was Stella so I had a cold one and paid with my room card and made my way over towards the water where I knew I would find Carol in the shade.

I have only eaten Private Island BBQ lunch once before on Princess Cays where the food was cold and nasty and ended up in a handy trash bin nearby where the flies were welcome to it. Expectations were not high.

Mmmmm.... this food is still warm! Tasty little burger here. We both did our nodding head dog in rear window of car impression and tucked in with gusto. It wasn't a prettily arranged plate of food- no tweezers were used in the salad placement- but it was just what the doctor ordered (the Ship's Doctor was sitting nearby and had the same thing). His head was nodding with each bite...

Very happy with our meal and I wish I had gone back for more goodness. But- I was in the shade, I had a cold beer and a view of sparkling blue water and some zipliners whizzing by. Life was good. I moved away to smoke down by the water and drink it (the Stella) all in.
While talking to Carol she said she thought Labadee her favorite "port" of the trip. We had just had a short but excellent boat trip, something to fill our stomachs and no one was trying to sell us anything or take us shopping for Diamonds. It was a place to relax in the sun or the shade with plenty of activities (some at a price). And-the ship is right there. There's the tram to save a lot of walking.
We could have taken the tram from end to end as Carol suggested but I was fine with just staying near the water for now.

Way back on page 10 Norris hoped I would remember what "Jamaican" food we ate at the buffet. I would rather forget it, but I unfortunately remember this disappointing meal well. I'm not sure if I've told you folks before, but I am half Jamaican myself. My mother's family goes back for several generations and they were in the shipping business, which is why we thought I might have some relatives buried in the Jewish cemetery in Falmouth. My mother lived in Kingston until she married my father, an American, at about age thirty, and every summer when I was young we would visit her mother and my uncle and his family. I have many happy memories of this beautiful island and its warm, loving, funny, and in those days peaceful and tolerant people. It's hard to believe today, but my cousin and I when we were teenagers used to go to block parties at night in Kingston where the music was live and the dancing was energetic and the vibe was mellow. I suppose we were the only white folks there but it was never a big deal. I used to take the public bus downtown to Kingston by myself to go shopping and again nobody thought anything of it. My uncle was a country doctor in one of those small towns such as the ones we drove through on the way to Ocho Rios. Again I would have felt quite comfortable stopping for a coke in any of them in those days. Ocho Rios was a tiny quaint village where Jamaicans from the south coast would go for a vacation and my family often rented a small beach house there for a couple of weeks in the summer. So I know Jamaican food and I was so homesick for some. But the slop at the buffet lacked the main ingredients of fresh local produce and a spicy, peppery flavor profile. There was some sad rice and peas devoid of flavor, a mushy tasteless chicken stew, some boiled cabbage (NOT calalou), some dry fish, and the best item was the jerk pork which had a slight kick to it but there was only one piece of it left. No patties. No breadfruit. No salt fish and ackee. Sad. This was my first time back in Jamaica in at least forty years as my family eventually either died or moved away when things became more dangerous. But it was still so nostalgic for me even without the food and I am grateful for Celebrity for taking me back home. I took a trip on a sailing ship, and when I reached Jamaica I made a stop.

Carol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Way back on page 10 Norris hoped I would remember what "Jamaican" food we ate at the buffet. I would rather forget it, but I unfortunately remember this disappointing meal well. I'm not sure if I've told you folks before, but I am half Jamaican myself. My mother's family goes back for several generations and they were in the shipping business, which is why we thought I might have some relatives buried in the Jewish cemetery in Falmouth. My mother lived in Kingston until she married my father, an American, at about age thirty, and every summer when I was young we would visit her mother and my uncle and his family. I have many happy memories of this beautiful island and its warm, loving, funny, and in those days peaceful and tolerant people. It's hard to believe today, but my cousin and I when we were teenagers used to go to block parties at night in Kingston where the music was live and the dancing was energetic and the vibe was mellow. I suppose we were the only white folks there but it was never a big deal. I used to take the public bus downtown to Kingston by myself to go shopping and again nobody thought anything of it. My uncle was a country doctor in one of those small towns such as the ones we drove through on the way to Ocho Rios. Again I would have felt quite comfortable stopping for a coke in any of them in those days. Ocho Rios was a tiny quaint village where Jamaicans from the south coast would go for a vacation and my family often rented a small beach house there for a couple of weeks in the summer. So I know Jamaican food and I was so homesick for some. But the slop at the buffet lacked the main ingredients of fresh local produce and a spicy, peppery flavor profile. There was some sad rice and peas devoid of flavor, a mushy tasteless chicken stew, some boiled cabbage (NOT calalou), some dry fish, and the best item was the jerk pork which had a slight kick to it but there was only one piece of it left. No patties. No breadfruit. No salt fish and ackee. Sad. This was my first time back in Jamaica in at least forty years as my family eventually either died or moved away when things became more dangerous. But it was still so nostalgic for me even without the food and I am grateful for Celebrity for taking me back home. I took a trip on a sailing ship, and when I reached Jamaica I made a stop.

Carol

Carol,

Sorry to hear your return to your ancestral land wasn't what you hoped it would be in terms of the native cuisine. However, it sounds like returning to your roots was a nice experience, cuisine not withstanding. Thanks for your report. We always like when you give your take on what happened to you and your husband during your adventures on the high seas (and sometimes on the autobahn too). The good news is that "your heart is not down, your head is not turning around and Norris didn't leave you in Kingston town!" :p:p Jimmy Buffett introduced us to Harry's song. It truly is a classic.

Trip and Pam

The best jerk chicken I had was at a roadside stand between the airport in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. I was visiting a friend who was working there. She sent a company driver who decided I needed to sample some really good local cuisine...it was wonderful, friendly people and a wonderful way to start.

Carol you would have loved it.

Carol was actually describing the attempt at a Jamaican buffet onboard Reflection, which unfortunately sounds like one of the weakest meals anybody has ever experienced on a Celebrity ship! That's a shame, truly. What a bummer, Carol.

I am so intrigued to hear there's a Jewish cemetery in Falmouth, and now I've read about the whole history of the Jewish community in Jamaica, plus the three cemeteries. Fascinating! We love visiting cemeteries. Now I can look forward to another stop in Falmouth, should the situation arise. I liked my tour the other time, but was clueless that I was missing something I might've preferred to do.

Thx for stopping back to visit with us, Carol!

The Jamaican Buffet which I had forgotten...

I won't quote Carol's excellent account of our long awaited Jamaican buffet experience for the sake of brevity and it's just a few inches back up the page.

I ate what was on my plate much as a python would a passing porcupine-a memorable meal but for the wrong reasons. I am a champion of the Oceanview Cafe although I really only eat lunch there and make a pig of myself at the Indian station and the pork chop/ minute steak and fries station but I was disappointed that the Jamaican dishes were not to Carol's liking and not memorable for me either, in a good way. There are certainly some Indian cooks in the buffet as I always compliment them but maybe there are no Jamaicans who could hit the right spice notes.

I was there hoping for Jamaican patties which Carol's mother used to make to perfection but I got bupkis and sobbed myself to sleep as any grown man would.

Next time in Jamaica -and I want there to be a next time-we go off the ship and eat somewhere that is recognized as a good restaurant with electricity and some glass in the windows. And patties!

Norris

After that satisfying burger which could only have been improved by some hot crispy fries* I decided to go exploring the environs.

* I imagine fries would be logistically awkward as the oil would take a long time to cool before disposal to a tank which would have to remain on the island. Then what to do when the tank is full? Oh yeah, pour it into the sea? Problem solved!

I knew there was some good lookout spot where I could get a photo of the ship so away I trudged to find it.

These are the anchor points for the zip line cables

32924592395_dbca585808_b.jpg

Some exhilarated folks enjoying their $99 ride!

32924587885_f18d3a64a2_b.jpg

32924588985_de4de918ae_b.jpg

32924590875_ce4e3738ac_b.jpg

Kudos to RCI for maximizing the potential of their investment in Labadee. There wasn't much to it back in 1986 beyond a beach and some toilets. The ship had to tender to a small pier which is still there at the extreme right of the beach where you would begin your walk to the village on the rocky path around a promontory .

There's some kind of viewpoint here but the closed gate was a bummer.

32924593995_f41372f9f6_b.jpg

Jagged rocks with a pumice feel

32924596145_da0dc4ae09_b.jpg

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

After that dead end I found a sign next to the onshore Spa and Public Toilets pointing to an Overlook and set off on a stone path to find it.

Aha!

32771064662_d5dae9137d_b.jpg

32924586875_287f9a354b_b.jpg

I return to Carol to report my findings-"There's a ship over there!" and agreeing that we don't want to linger here until it is time to join a horde of last minuters we head back towards the pier. Oddly there is a security shed to pass through so maybe there is "weed" to be sold in the village?

We head out towards the pier

32771068822_46a1cd3434_b.jpg

32771070482_5b5b61cc3d_b.jpg

We pass a band of Labadoosian drummers and dancers playing for tips on our way to the gangway but strangely I wasn't compelled to take out the video camera. I know I'll be back in Labadee at some point.