Bicycle rentals at St. Maarten cruise port

NEMMRRC

Howdy.

We are cruising on Carnival Fascination and will be in St. Maarten on June 4.

Are there bicycle rentals at the cruise port and could we bicycle to a nearby beach?

Thanks for your assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've never seen bicycle rentals on St. Maarten, but I suppose there might be some. I would not suggest bicycling on the island - the roads are rough, lots of pot holes, hills and heavy traffic would make it a nightmare. You could easily walk to nearby Great Bay beach in 20 minutes (but the water quality is questionable).

Spring for a taxi to any of many beaches, and save your biking for a better environment.

I've never seen bicycle rentals on St. Maarten, but I suppose there might be some. I would not suggest bicycling on the island - the roads are rough, lots of pot holes, hills and heavy traffic would make it a nightmare. You could easily walk to nearby Great Bay beach in 20 minutes (but the water quality is questionable).

Spring for a taxi to any of many beaches, and save your biking for a better environment.

Thanks for the tip.

We'll likely walk then. It is our last port of call so we may be too tired anyway and might just take a taxi to a nice beach.

Thanks again.

I believe that you can get a bike rental at cruise port in Philipsburg from Trisport - you could call or email them about what is doable and safe. Personally, I would not ride a bike on the island - but then I do not ride a bike at home either.

http://trisportsxm.com/

Thank you. I'll look them up.

Have to agree with the recommendation not to ride a bike on this island. There are no bike paths and the roads can be a bit rough. Since drivers on the island are not used to dealing with lots of bikes, one might question how safe it is for the biker!

Hank

Have to agree with the recommendation not to ride a bike on this island. There are no bike paths and the roads can be a bit rough. Since drivers on the island are not used to dealing with lots of bikes, one might question how safe it is for the biker!

Hank

Thanks for the tip. I think we will just get a taxi to the beach.

we rented bikes in Nov 2014 from trisports at their simpson bay location. They will bring them to the cruise dock for you but it's a little more money. That being said, I really would do this with a guide if you have children going. It was difficult for us with our kids (20, 13, and 11) and although fun, just a little too risky with the cars and little to no sidewalks. We had five ships in that day and the traffic was horrendous going back. If it is just you and a partner, I think you'd be ok but make sure you get a map from them and ask them where are good spots to go to. We rode to Maho Bay which was a zoo and then continued on to Mullet Bay beach which was a lot of fun but a lot of work in the sun and it wasn't fun going back with sandy shoes, clothing and the heat in the middle of the day. It may be better to just take a cab or bus to a beach and relax for the day. If you need the workout, there's always the gym on the ship which is airconditioned.

There is good news for bike renters. Healthcare (and hospital) are pretty good on the island. Riding a bike is crazy, given the nature of drivers on the island. But if you have decent health insurance (that works in St Maarten) it might be fun to take a chance...NOT.

Hank

we rented bikes in Nov 2014 from trisports at their simpson bay location. They will bring them to the cruise dock for you but it's a little more money. That being said, I really would do this with a guide if you have children going. It was difficult for us with our kids (20, 13, and 11) and although fun, just a little too risky with the cars and little to no sidewalks. We had five ships in that day and the traffic was horrendous going back. If it is just you and a partner, I think you'd be ok but make sure you get a map from them and ask them where are good spots to go to. We rode to Maho Bay which was a zoo and then continued on to Mullet Bay beach which was a lot of fun but a lot of work in the sun and it wasn't fun going back with sandy shoes, clothing and the heat in the middle of the day. It may be better to just take a cab or bus to a beach and relax for the day. If you need the workout, there's always the gym on the ship which is airconditioned.

Was this on your first visit to the island? Also did Trisport know where you were planning to ride to on that day with your 11 and 13 year old? I am very happy that you all made it safely through the day and even happier that you do not recommend this to others. :)

Was this on your first visit to the island? Also did Trisport know where you were planning to ride to on that day with your 11 and 13 year old? I am very happy that you all made it safely through the day and even happier that you do not recommend this to others. :)

Yes it was. We had a map from trisports but who can read a map while riding a bike. A GPS would really have worked and in some other countries this is offered, but I don't remember if it was at the time at trisports. They did know we were riding to maho and mullet from simpson bay. Regardless of that, it was a foolish decision on our part. We are so used to bike riding in the US; we don't take into account the hot weather, sandy clothes, and unbelievable traffic and a lot of potholes on the side of the road. I do know their tours will take you around these areas and to some nice locations on the island which is why I strongly recommend a guide especially if it is your first time with kids. I do think 2 adults could do it with a GPS or mapmyride.

Yes it was. We had a map from trisports but who can read a map while riding a bike. A GPS would really have worked and in some other countries this is offered, but I don't remember if it was at the time at trisports. They did know we were riding to maho and mullet from simpson bay. Regardless of that, it was a foolish decision on our part. We are so used to bike riding in the US; we don't take into account the hot weather, sandy clothes, and unbelievable traffic and a lot of potholes on the side of the road. I do know their tours will take you around these areas and to some nice locations on the island which is why I strongly recommend a guide especially if it is your first time with kids. I do think 2 adults could do it with a GPS or mapmyride.

Even if you could avoid potholes and heavy traffic, you still would have the hot weather, the hills, and, if you stopped at a beach, the sandy clothes.

The simple fact is: St. Maarten is not really a bicyclist's dream - whether or not you have a guide and/or GPS.

Do you remember if they sent you straight up the main thoroughfare to Maho or did they have another route perhaps a bike path that cut through the Beacon Hill area? I still can't imagine sending a family out biking to Maho using the main roads that the cars do. The traffic is scarey enough but that traffic circle in Maho would be a nightmare on a bike.:eek:

There are often bike races on the island and I often see bikers decked out in racing gear riding especially on the French side of the island. I also know a family that participates in moto cross events and they even do night rides with full lights on their head gear. They do put the bikes in a truck and drive out to the location though.

Thanks so much for all the information.

i know we were on a main road around airport and bridge. and did that circle area around maho.

Wow that is definitely the main road to Maho and now I know for sure why you wouldn't recommend it. Glad it worked out alright though.:)