Queen Mary & QM2

Wisewol

Is there anyone else on here that has sailed on both? I sailed on the QM's last voyage from New York to Southampton when I was just 2 years old and moving from the USA to the UK. Some 50 years later I am getting to sail the same journey just now on the QM2. I am somewhat excited, to say the least. I have visited the QM and stayed in the hotel on Long Beach. Just curious to see if anyone else has done the same

Yes, there are quite a few of us. I have attended the Queen Mary Passengers meet onboard QM2 and there is usually 20 or more at these gatherings. Not sure if they do them on all QM2 voyages but if they do, make sure you go. Many people brought passenger lists, menus, etc. that they had from their Queen Mary voyages. Most interesting group. :D

Is there anyone else on here that has sailed on both? I sailed on the QM's last voyage from New York to Southampton when I was just 2 years old and moving from the USA to the UK. Some 50 years later I am getting to sail the same journey just now on the QM2. I am somewhat excited, to say the least. I have visited the QM and stayed in the hotel on Long Beach. Just curious to see if anyone else has done the same

I have not sailed aboard the Queen Mary but in January of 2006 I did spend one night aboard the Queen Mary after sailing on the New York to Los Angeles segment of the 2006 World Cruise of the QE2. The highlight of that cruise was the QE2 going through the Panama Canal :) Anyway when I go back aboard the QM2 in October I'll bring photos of the Queen Mary I took when I was aboard the Queen Mary in January,2006. Regards,Jerry

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

I, too, have been fortunate enough to sail on both the QM and the QM2. As Jim said, look for the Reunion of the Passengers who sailed on the QM in the daily program. You can also ask the Social Hostess about the date for the reunion as it is easy to overlook in the program. I took a transatlantic on the QM2 in May and there was a reunion on that voyage. I am not sure they have reunions on voyages with lots of ports. It is fascinating to hear the stories. I have met WWII soldiers and war brides and former crew members as well as former passengers with very interesting memories of their voyages. Wisewol, have a fabulous crossing!!

I did not notice the QM reunions when I was on QM2 last time. Will definitely look for it on my upcoming sailing. Do they mind mere observers to attend and listen in?

I've never sailed on the QM, but I've been visiting all my life. It arrived in Long Beach around the time I was born and, for the last 15 years, I've lived in Long Beach across the small bay from it. I look at it every morning and evening and usually hear its horn blowing. It's the beautiful sight welcoming me home each evening at the end of a long and exhausting L.A. commute!

Yes anyone can attend the Queen Mary reunions, just to enjoy listening to those who will share their experience of their voyage and/or memorabilia.

These reunions in the past have usually been held in the Chart Room or in the former Winter Garden. Occasionally one meets guests who have sailed on all Six Queens.