Bergen Funicular Queues

Hello,

We will be in Bergen in 3 weeks time along with one other cruise ship (from what I can ascertain). We'd like to go on the funicular but really don't want to queue for ages (especially after a particularly bad experience queuing for the cable car in Gibraltar).

Any advice our thoughts on the chances of getting up and down without much more than 30 mins queuing each way or are we better doing something else?

Thanks

We went straight off to the Tourist Office in the town as soon as we disembarked and bought the tickets from there. Then went to the Furnicular and went in through the 'ticket holders only' entrance, bypassing the queue for tickets which was getting longer as the morning progressed.

• 2 weeks later...
Scriv, you mentioned you walked back down from the Funicular. What was the advantage of walking and was it difficult?

Your query was not addressed to me but I usually ride up and walk down. Visually the journey down on the train does not have two much to commend -- you get your main view of Bergen and surroundings from the top.

The journey down is a pleasant stroll through the woods on fairly wide paths. You certainly do not need to be an experienced hiker or particularly fit. My wife did it last time within a few weeks of having her knee replaced.

Edited by Eboracum_d

Yes I would agree with Eboracum d. A pleasant stroll down hill.

You ask about the advantages? For us it was the chance of a bit of much needed exercise and avoiding the queues for the return journey in a crowded carriage (which as E says, doesn't give you much visually) and a different aspect of Bergen...

As an aside, we had a funny experience on the way down. We heard gun fire and saw smoke and it seemed to be coming from our ship, which we could see down in the dock. Of course we knew we weren't under attack, but we did wonder what it was. Two Norwegian ladies pushing prams up the hill told us it was the cannons near the docks firing for Liberation Day celebrations!!

Edited by Scriv

To walk down, is there only one road, or is there a particular route? Please share the "how to" and the chances of getting lost. One more question . . . how long does it take to walk down at a pace that is slow enough to enjoy all the sights around us?

Thanks,

Shelley

It's not difficult at all. It's a 45 minutes walk downhill.

Scriv, you mentioned you walked back down from the Funicular. What was the advantage of walking and was it difficult?

There are two routes down. When you're facing the city and the funicular with your back, you can walk to the left or right. Personally I prefer the left. I usually walk up the left one and down the right. I'd be surprised if anyone managed to get lost. You'll see the view of the city on your way down and know where to go.

To walk down, is there only one road, or is there a particular route? Please share the "how to" and the chances of getting lost. One more question . . . how long does it take to walk down at a pace that is slow enough to enjoy all the sights around us?

Thanks,

Shelley