Peritineal Dialysis on cruises

Godskidisme

Has any had or traveled with someone (relative, friend, etc.) that has required peritineal dialysis? If so, was it a smooth transition having the medical supplies delivered to your cabin, or did you or someone you know encounter any problems with having the medical supplies delivered properly? Thank you.

We have had several people here in the past who did peritoneal dialysis on cruises. You don't need to do a dialysis cruise to do this...you do it on your own in your cabin. Getting the supplies delivered and disposed of are the biggest challenges. I would probably recommend a cruise where you leave from an American port though, as foreign ports might be a little iffy for delivery.

Will come back and share. This is the first long cruise trip for us since my husband started dialysis. We took a three day cruise over a weekend when he was on hemodialysis. But the peritoneal allows us to have more flexibility with our lives so he switched over to it. So far, so good. I have set everything up with the hotel in Baltimore and our cruise ship. I am trusting it will all be fine. Thanks for the sharing.

Godskidisme

• 7 months later...

My wife is on peritoneal dialysis and we took our first cruise last summer to Alaska.

She gets her supplies from Baxter and they are very use to delivering supplies to ships, hotels etc. They need to be informed at least one month before you cruise. They have a dept. or person that handles the travel deliveries and they will take all the information on ship, location, room # etc. They will then comfirm delivery close to the cruise date.

We were in a suite on the Oosterdam. When we boarded the ship I went immediately to the Neptune Lounge and asked the staff to please check to make sure that the supplies had arrived. They called somewhere and the supplies were delivered within 15 minutes.

We gave an extra suitcase to carry the supplies we need to take from home and we bought a portable IV stand to take with us.

Good luck on your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We traveled and cruised many times with my husband on PD and I think you learn something each time. Cruising makes it so easy. I'll watch for future PD posts in case anyone has a question. My husband passed away recently so I don't view this area on the board too often any more. Be sure and put PD or Peritoneal Dialysis in the header. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Lynn crusier,

So sorry about the loss of your husband.

We are getting ready for an August cruise on the Grand Princess to the Mediterranean. We are excited but taking precautions such as taking antibiotics with us. Has anyone or a family member used a cycler on a cruise. My husband is going to be trained on it soon. He does manual exchanges now. If anyone can recommend which is best I would appreciate the feedback.

Godskidisme

I posted a while back that my wife is on PD and how great it was. We had done it last year and had no problem.

We were to sail on the Amsterdam from Seattle last Saturday (5/22).

It was a nightmare come true.

When we boarded the ship I went immediately to the Neptune Lounge and told them that my wife was on Peritoneal dialysis and that cases of solution should have been delivered to the ship by Baxter and could they call down and have it delivered to the room as soon as possible.

To make a long story short they could not find the cases of solution. After many phone calls to Baxter and much searching of the ship, we had to disembark just before sailing at 5:00.

It turns out that the stuff was delivered and ended up in the ships stores but we didn't find this out until two days after the ship sailed. HAL offered to fly us to Juneau on Wed. but it would have just been too much trouble for us as we had already recovered our dogs and it just would not have been convenient.

We had purchased the top of the line Holland America insurance. Too make matters worse people have begun pointing fingers at each other, blaming the other for the foul up and the insurance company is claiming that this is not covered.

We are very upset but will have to see how this plays out. What really upsets us is that we are very loyal HAL cruisers.

I guess the moral of this story is that you can't really trust the system.

• 11 years later...

:rolleyes:

Hello,

I'm going to be a first time cruiser in December of next year. The Big Guy (my hubby) is on pd dialysis. So lets start with my question:

Packing:

I have to take the machine, cassettes, and any gauze with me. Does this count as a carry on or is it "medical?" Should I have a note from his doctor stating that he has to have this stuff?

Fluids:

We do 2 rounds of treatment (1 manual, and 12 hours overnight). So when the fluid gets there will it all be in my stateroom or will they hold it and I get it daily as I need it?

Mobility:

And if we bring a wheel chair or rent a scooter...that has to stay in the room too. Will there be room for all of that? What about plugs? Can I bring a power strip to plug in all of the machine needs plus have room for charging? Can I get that from my steward? So many questions, but I have time and want to be "in the know!"

Thank you!

The Big Guy and Mrs Knitty Cajun :cool:

I think there are more dialysis threads on this forum than the 12 year old one you pulled up. You need to find them and read them. You need to talk with the Special Needs dept. of the cruise line you are sailing. Experience varies by cruiseline. EM

Typically cabins are small. Scooters and wheelchairs will take up room. They need to be stored in your cabin. Make sure they will fit thru the 20" or so that is the width of the regular cabin doorway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

:rolleyes:

Hello,

I'm going to be a first time cruiser in December of next year. The Big Guy (my hubby) is on pd dialysis. So lets start with my question:

Packing:

I have to take the machine, cassettes, and any gauze with me. Does this count as a carry on or is it "medical?" Should I have a note from his doctor stating that he has to have this stuff?

Fluids:

We do 2 rounds of treatment (1 manual, and 12 hours overnight). So when the fluid gets there will it all be in my stateroom or will they hold it and I get it daily as I need it?

Mobility:

And if we bring a wheel chair or rent a scooter...that has to stay in the room too. Will there be room for all of that? What about plugs? Can I bring a power strip to plug in all of the machine needs plus have room for charging? Can I get that from my steward? So many questions, but I have time and want to be "in the know!"

Thank you!

The Big Guy and Mrs Knitty Cajun :cool:

I would highly recommend a suite if possible. I too use a scooter and it would never work in a regular cabin with all the pd stuff too. My brother was on pd and there is a lot of stuff involved. You need some extra room, especially for the warmer and extra boxes.

• 6 months later...

My hubby and I will be cruising with Peritoneal Dialysis equipment in early March. I hope you had a pleasant trip. I am dreading this whole thing, because he is, also, diabetic and uses a sleep machine with mask. :( Our travel by car last summer was difficult, but manageable, because we were on land. I upgraded us to a mini-suite for more space because he uses a small scooter to get around. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to manage this situation........peritoneal dialysis, diabetic, sleep apnea machine, scooter???

My hubby and I will be cruising with Peritoneal Dialysis equipment in early March. I hope you had a pleasant trip. I am dreading this whole thing, because he is, also, diabetic and uses a sleep machine with mask. :( Our travel by car last summer was difficult, but manageable, because we were on land. I upgraded us to a mini-suite for more space because he uses a small scooter to get around. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to manage this situation........peritoneal dialysis, diabetic, sleep apnea machine, scooter???

You didn't say which ship you are sailing. A mini-suites size will vary on different ships. We sail on Carnival since I got a scooter and we get a suite. I think having enough room is your biggest challenge. There is room under beds to store empty luggage etc. If you have a sofa the are drawers under them a lot of the time. BTW they do not look like storage drawers.

You need to contact the cruise line and discuss your needs. They are quite co-operative. You'll also have to contact a company to supply the PD fluids. Ships have containers for sharps. Your cabin steward will be able to remove things like the coffee table etc. if thats in the way. On Carnival a gallon of distilled water is available for about $3 for the sleep apnea machine. Ask your cabin steward.

If you have not already contacted the cruise line I would do so immediately. There may be some medical forms to fill out and return. May I suggest you go to your cabin, get him situated then unpack and relax a bit. The first day will be your most hectic. Oh yeah.....have some well deserved fun.

Edited by Boozebabe

• 4 weeks later...

I also have questions regarding PD on ship. We are scheduled for European cruise in August. It has been booked for over a year even though I just began dialysis in 2017. Trying to determine what I CAN do.

We have a verandah cabin, but no suite. Since we will be in our European cruise departure city for 4 night pre-cruise...then need enough dialysis solution for an additional 2 weeks. Thinking it might be easiest to have fluid/splutions bags in boxes delivered to our hotel room. Then we would have some to use for the first four days....and to verify all supplies we did actually arrived. Thinking of wrapping sets of boxes with strong packing tape and sticking a luggage tag and a cruise tag on each for delivery to our cabin. Would then hand over to our dockside porters with our luggage. Opinions on this ideas???

Since our cabin in not huge...and we have all that DP fluid to store....wondered about keeping it out on our deck/balcony and wrapping in plastic (something like painter drops cloths and more sturdy tape) Our destinations and time of year are not a concern of fluid freezing.

Do we need "permission" from the cruise line to travel while doing PD on board...or just complete the "Special Needs Forms"? (Cruise is on Celebrity.) I know they can supply containers for sharps disposal and dressing and tubing "red bags" for disposal. I am a RN so understand the processes and safety guideline for land in the USA. But don't know about difference @ sea and international waters (ships disposal systems etc)

Also, how does one best transport the "cycler" machine on an international flight? On a US flight it could be considered "medical equipment" and not "count" toward our luggage limits. We fortunately have direct flights on KLM to AMS. I really want to take the "cycler" in some sort of a case ON the plane with us so I know that it is handled gently and safely. Has anyone done this?

That's the first round of questions that are swimming around in my head and waking me at night.:eek: This trip is very important to us...and having to go on dialysis is bad enough. But it will break my heart if we can't do this cruise.

TIA for ANY answers you may have. BTW, my cruise is NOT one that Dialysis @ Sea offers support for...so that is not an option.

I also have questions regarding PD on ship. We are scheduled for European cruise in August. It has been booked for over a year even though I just began dialysis in 2017. Trying to determine what I CAN do.We have a verandah cabin, but no suite. Since we will be in our European cruise departure city for 4 night pre-cruise...then need enough dialysis solution for an additional 2 weeks. Thinking it might be easiest to have fluid/splutions bags in boxes delivered to our hotel room. Then we would have some to use for the first four days....and to verify all supplies we did actually arrived. Thinking of wrapping sets of boxes with strong packing tape and sticking a luggage tag and a cruise tag on each for delivery to our cabin. Would then hand over to our dockside porters with our luggage. Opinions on this ideas???

Having the supplies delivered directly to the ship has more checks and balances in place and the liability for the proper handling of supplies falls to both the provider as well as the cruise line. Turning over the supplies to the dockside porters provides no paper trail and or proof that the supplies ever made it onto the ship. The boxes are just thrown into the luggage bins. No special handling is done. Just as luggage can be left dockside so can your PD supplies.

The cruise lines approved vendor for the supplies has been property vetted and is provided direct entry to the ship's supplies loading area and bypasses the dockside porters. There is than someone from Celebrity checking in the delivery and making certain that the supplies get loaded onto the ship. The driver does not just drop the boxes off with a dockside porter. The receipt of the delivery is than entered into the ship's computer so when you go to Guest Services after Boarding they will know if the cartons had been delivered as well as where on the ship they're being stored until your arrival.

Since our cabin in not huge...and we have all that DP fluid to store....wondered about keeping it out on our deck/balcony and wrapping in plastic (something like painter drops cloths and more sturdy tape) Our destinations and time of year are not a concern of fluid freezing.

Being that the solution is to be kept in a dry clean place away from direct sunlight storing on the balcony even with a tarp cover may not be advisable. Reason being is the exterior of the ship including balconies do get hosed down on a regular basis during the cruise to remove the sea salt residue.

Do we need "permission" from the cruise line to travel while doing PD on board...or just complete the "Special Needs Forms"? (Cruise is on Celebrity.) I know they can supply containers for sharps disposal and dressing and tubing "red bags" for disposal. I am a RN so understand the processes and safety guideline for land in the USA. But don't know about difference @ sea and international waters (ships disposal systems etc)

It's not that you need permission but you are required to fully understand Celebrity's Policy regarding PD. Celebrity's Website specifically states that you " Please contact us for more information on policies and procedures." Therefore this statement implies that just completing the "Special Needs Form" is not sufficient." Here's the link http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-special-needs?cS=Footer&ICID=Cel_10Q4_web_hp_ftr_accessibility#onboard_medical_needs_tab/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-medical-needs?subtab=true

Also, how does one best transport the "cycler" machine on an international flight? On a US flight it could be considered "medical equipment" and not "count" toward our luggage limits. We fortunately have direct flights on KLM to AMS. I really want to take the "cycler" in some sort of a case ON the plane with us so I know that it is handled gently and safely. Has anyone done this?

Suggest you contact Call KLM CARES: +800 556 22737 regarding the transport of medical equipment.

Regarding balcony storage, in addition to the possibility of getting wet, from pressure wash, sea spray, or rain, the possibility of any plastic packaging or your tarp or tape going over the side makes this a prohibited idea (plastic going over the side is a $5000 fine).

Regarding disposal, the sharps containers will be kept in the "special" locker of the recycling center, for disposal ashore. The red bags will be incinerated. Is the waste fluid removed from the bag into the toilet, or is the bag disposed of full? This may change the handling, I've never dealt with this onboard before.

Travelnana, you didn't mention whether you have an accessible cabin or not. If not, I urge you to switch to one, and if none are available, consider switching cruises. Accessible cabins are larger and with all that stuff, you will need every inch of room you can get.

Lobster129 - same advice. Plus you need to be talking to the airline about taking the cycler on the plane with you. Even if someone here has taken a cycler on an international flight on the same airline, rules are changing so fast these days that their experience won't necessarily be the same as yours. KLM flies to so many countries I'm betting they have an accessible desk that can give you correct information and help you work out a plan.

Lobster129 -. KLM flies to so many countries I'm betting they have an accessible desk that can give you correct information and help you work out a plan [/quote]

Refer to post #19 of this thread regarding KLM's accessible desk.

"Suggest you contact Call KLM CARES: +800 556 22737 regarding the transport of medical equipment."

I want to thank EACH of you that responded to my questions. Your thoughts and suggestions are very helpful.

I FOR SURE am NOT placing the dialysis boxes of fluids on the balcony!

My Dialysis RN Educator assured me that airlines must allow me to have my cycler inside the cabin of the plane and not handled with checked luggage. While it is LARGER than normally permitted carry-on luggage, it is much too fragile to check. It is essential LIFE SAVING Equipment and therefore the rules are waived with proper communication with the airline according to their guidelines and documentation by physician Completed form...and I will also copies of that plus carry a letter for TSA etc.

IF patients are working with Baxter equipment....you can now get a harder shelled ROLLING container to further protect the cycler. Certainly much more mobile friendly, It will not fit in the overhead bin nor under the seat on floor....but she assured me that the flight attendents do have a closet to store such items on the plane. You can also have (in the case) 24 hours worth of fluids, tubing, antibacterial wipes, mask, tape etc that you would need on short notice.

We don't currently have an accessible cabin. And there are no suites available. (My acute renal failure was recent...and PD Cath placement VERY recent). But WILL be working with Celebrity & my TA to be waitlisted for accessible cabins. I just want to make sure the PD all "works" before I stir things up. SO I am in the serious "information gathering phase" as I heal and hope. It gives me feeling of progress. Thank you for your help and kindness!

Lobster, you keep right on gathering information. The more you know, the more smoothly things are likely to go, because you will be able to anticipate (and prevent) potential problems. The old saying that "knowledge is power" is never more true than when dealing with health issues!

My Dialysis RN Educator assured me that airlines must allow me to have my cycler inside the cabin of the plane and not handled with checked luggage. While it is LARGER than normally permitted carry-on luggage, it is much too fragile to check. It is essential LIFE SAVING Equipment and therefore the rules are waived with proper communication with the airline according to their guidelines and documentation by physician Completed form...and I will also copies of that plus carry a letter for TSA etc.

Though ADA was not mentioned it's a common mistake that people assume that ADA applies to inflight operations. ADA in fact does not apply. Rather what defines a passenger's air rights is defined by the USA Department of Transportation's Air Carrier Access Act. The Act specifically applies to all flights of U.S. airlines, and to flights to or from the United States by foreign airlines. The following is a summary of some of the main points of the DOT rule (Title 14 CFR Part 382) which I have flagged the area in bold red that apply .

Other Services and Accommodations

• Airlines are required to provide assis­tance with boarding, deplaning and making connections. Assistance within the cabin is also required, but not extensive personal services. Where level-entry boarding is not available, there must be ramps or mechanical lifts to service most aircraft with 19 or more seats at U.S. airports with over 10,000 annual enplanements.
  • Disabled passengers’ items stored in the cabin must conform to FAA rules on the stowage of carry-on baggage. Assistive devices do not count against any limit on the number of pieces of carry-on baggage. Collapsible wheelchairs and other assistive devices have priority for in-cabin storage space (including in closets) over other passengers’ items brought on board at the same airport, if the passenger with a disability chooses to pre-board.
  • Wheelchairs and other assistive devices have priority over other items for storage in the baggage compartment.
  • Airlines must accept battery-powered wheelchairs, including the batteries, packaging the batteries in hazardous materials packages when necessary. The airline provides the packaging.
  • Airlines must permit a passenger to use his/her Portable Oxygen Concentrator during the flight if it is labeled as FAA-approved.
  • Airlines may not charge for providing accommodations required by the rule, such as hazardous materials packaging for batteries. However, they may charge for optional services such as providing oxygen.
  • Other provisions concerning services and accommodations address treatment of mobility aids and assistive devices, passenger information, accommodations for persons with vision and hearing impairments, security screening, communicable diseases and medical certificates, and service animals.

If you receive any resistance at the gate than request to speak to the Airline's Resolution Supervisor on Duty.

We don't currently have an accessible cabin. And there are no suites available. (My acute renal failure was recent...and PD Cath placement VERY recent). But WILL be working with Celebrity & my TA to be waitlisted for accessible cabins.

Though being place on the waitlist its important . Don't rely solely on your TA or Celebrity . Reason being that rooms come as go quickly your TA and or Celebrity may not even be aware of any becoming available. Additionally if your cruise is embarking from a USA Port than per the USA DOT Law that went into effect on 01/01/2017 regarding the booking of accessible cabins, if an accessible cabin becomes available after the final payment date the cruise lines can and do release those cabin into general inventory . Meaning an able body person is allow to book any available cabin and don't count on the cruise line bumping someone for you as it generally does not happen. Therefore you need to be proactive and do regular mock bookings on Celebrity's website to check for unsold accessible cabins.

Edited by xxoocruiser