Domus Aurea - opinion?

dritan

Hi all

I'm a big Ancient Rome fan and after multiple visits, I notice that finally the Domus Aurea can be visited.

However, this trip in August ( I'm going for a few days before the cruise) I'm travelling solo with my two young kids ( 5 and 8).

My plan is to do outdoor stuff in the morning and indoor things in the afternoon. As the Palatine is my favourite place in Rome, I wondered if others thought it was worth doing the Domus Aurea in the afternoon ( there are guided English tours at 12 and 3.30pm).

The website makes it clear that the current works will be complete in 2018 so should I wait until that time to get a full experience ( I'm fortunate enough to be able to travel there on an annual basis). My children are interested in the Ancient Rome story ( they don't have much choice to be fair) so know who Nero is and don't like the fact that he had St Peter killed :-)

Has anyone experienced this tour and most importantly, is it likely to be child friendly?

Many thanks

I visited the Domus Aurea abouto 18 months ago, when they first opened it up again to "partial" visits. Before that, as you probably know, it was closed for quite a few years.

My advice: Go, go go!!

It was a fantastic tour. Our group had a very personable guide who is one of the archaeologists involved in the current project of restoration/stabilization. Your kids might get a kick out of the fact that you have to wear a hard hat and that it's a little like a construction project inside. The guide explains both the archaeology and the engineering involved in the current work. (Or at least mine did.)

The other reason I would say to go NOW is this: with these ancient Rome sites, anything can happen. They can do all this work and then something else might collapse or flood or get damaged, requiring more work and additional closure time.

I loved the tour and I was very happy I did it when I did. If/when they open more of it, I will go back, but there is a lot to see as it is.

Go!!!!!

Great to hear such positive feedback on the tour. I think I'll go ahead and book it.

On my first visit in 2003 they only had one ticket left when me and hubby walked up. I told him we could wait until next time! And finally 13 years later.....