Magnifica missing passenger; murder charge

TravelerThom

I am not a frequenter of the MSC boards, but I am amazed to find no posts about Li Yinglei who did not disembark the Magnifica at the end of a cruise 19 Feb (8 days ago) and who was last seen 10 Feb. Her husband Daniel Belling is being arraigned on murder charges in Italy.

There was already a post about it (I started it last week):

Italian media reports suspected murder on board MSC ship

The suspect's line of defense is the obvious one: that his wife left the ship on her own (without telling him or their kids, and without anyone from the ship noticing) and that she is still alive somewhere (maybe back in Dublin, maybe in China, maybe anywhere else on the planet), and the police should be looking for her instead of charging him with murder.

There was already a post about it (I started it last week):

Italian media reports suspected murder on board MSC ship

I searched for any posts containing "Magnifica" and found nothing relating to this. I had also scanned the entire first page of MSC thread. I apologize for not finding that it had been previously reported. If the mods wish to remove this (my) thread they certainly have my concurrence.

I searched for any posts containing "Magnifica" and found nothing relating to this. I had also scanned the entire first page of MSC thread. I apologize for not finding that it had been previously reported. If the mods wish to remove this (my) thread they certainly have my concurrence.

Next time try keyword 'murder'.

But hopefully there won't be need for a next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not a frequenter of the MSC boards, but I am amazed to find no posts about Li Yinglei who did not disembark the Magnifica at the end of a cruise 19 Feb (8 days ago) and who was last seen 10 Feb. Her husband Daniel Belling is being arraigned on murder charges in Italy.

there was post about it but I don't see what to discuss here ?

I searched for any posts containing "Magnifica" and found nothing relating to this. I had also scanned the entire first page of MSC thread.
The first reports didn't name the ship (at first I thought it might have been the same Splendida sailing we had just returned from :eek:).
there was post about it but I don't see what to discuss here ?
There doesn't have to be anything to discuss. The threads on this forum can also simply inform others about MSC-related news, even if doesn't help them in any practical way with their upcoming Divina cruise or answer their questions about Status Match.

And on the off chance that anyone was on that cruise and saw anything suspicious, again that shouldn't necessarily be discussed here, but it could turn out to be important. Unless they find the body or other material evidence or witnesses (or unless he confesses), it's unlikely that this man will be convicted of murder.

No images of the woman have turned up in any of the ship's video after she had dinner on February 10 (Day 2 of the cruise), according to this article. It also suggests that she left her cell phone, clothes, suitcase, credit card, and ID on the ship, but I'm not sure where they got that information. Since the husband claims that her suitcase was gone, and he tried calling her the day after she sneaked off the ship, according to him (on Day 5 of the cruise).

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like that poor woman's body has been found.

Italian police are investigating if a body discovered in a suitcase in an Italian port is that of missing woman Li Yinglei.

A passer-by raised the alarm on Saturday after they noticed a blue, locked suitcase in the water in the port of Rimini, a town located on the north-east coast of Italy on the Adriatic Sea.

The man initially attempted to take the suitcase out of the water but it was too heavy.

Police discovered the remains of a female wrapped up in a bin-bag in the suitcase.

Independent.ie understands the remains were dismembered.

Authorities are now due to carry out a post-mortem on the body tomorrow.

Looks like that poor woman's body has been found.

How on earth has he managed to dismember it on a ship with 2 young children in tow and cleaned up the blood etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Daniel Belling's solicitor, Luigi Conti, said he has heard the body that has been recovered does not match the description of Belling's wife.

"The body in the suitcase is 170cm in height, but Daniel Belling's wife is smaller than that," he said.

"I am also told it is a different type of body than that of Mr Belling's wife," he added.

It was not clear whether this meant the body found was of a different nationality or of a different description to the missing Chinese woman.

It's looking like some other unfortunate soul has come to a tragic end.

So strange - surreal even - that a find is discovered in such a way as poor Li Yinglei is presumed to have ended up.

The latest on this is that the body in the suitcase was not dismembered

According to local reports, the young "Asian woman" that was found is believed to be aged 35 to 40-years-old and has been dead for more than 10 days.

She is described as being 1.7 metres tall, which some investigators say is too tall to be missing Li Yinglei, who is described as being 1.5 metres..

Local reports say that the woman who was found in the suitcase does not show signs of violence and that the possible cause of death was strangulation.

Earlier reports suggested the woman was dismembered but Remini Today news says this is untrue.

Police say a post-mortem that is due to take place today will give answers to the mystery.

So have I got this straight? He dismembered her body whilst the children were in the play club. Then he put the body back together again, but whatever way he assembled it he added 0.2 metres to the height. He then put the body in a red suitcase that he had earlier painted blue, and whilst in Rome waited until the wind was blowing in the direction of Rimini, before throwing it overboard.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/740030/mother-in-law-of-daniel-belling-who-is-suspected-of-killing-his-wife-xing-lei-li-on-a-cruise-has-visited-him-in-jail/

Apparently his MIL does not believe he murdered her daughter so that is why she gave him money for jail:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mum-of-woman-missing-from-cruise-ship-says-her-daughter-fought-frequently-with-her-husband-35551335.html

But weirdly she is aware that he may have battered her daughter:

http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/wife-who-vanished-on-cruise-yinglei-li

Very curious reaction to her daughter's disappearance knowing the past history.

Edited by SuiteTraveler