Pre Cruise in Napoli Italy

koalapanda

Our chosen cruise a round trip from Citavecchia in July an 18 day Western Med' delight.

We have decided that after a few days in Rome a pre cruise jaunt in Naples is a good opportunity.

May I ask for experienced suggestions re Hotels and tips for the train journey Rome to Naples return.

Seabourn Roll calls which I try to use are inactive mostly.

I now resort to requesting expertise from the forum. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

As a regular Napoli visitor I wouldn't recommend to stay in that city more than necessary. It's loud, it's dirty and there are much nicer places in the vicinity. IF you want to stay there I can recommend the Royal Continental Hotel because of the good location (opposite the castle) with sea views. The rooms are with balcony and the prizes are fair. If you want luxury go to the neighbouring Grand Hotel Vesuvio. However, why don't you take the ferry (approx. 1 hr) to Capri or Ischia and get a nice hotel there. They even offer porter service for those cruise ship bags. It's a bit more expensive there but beautiful, quiet, and really dolce vita. Enjoy!

Jenny, looks like you will be in Barcelona on the 16th when we board Odyssey - look out for the man with the big yellow suitcase containing his beloved bike :D:D

We'll be boarding Encore for the 20 day on the 16, I'll look out for you🚴🏼🚴🏿*♀️😀 I didn't realise that Odyssey was also going to be in Barcelona on that day

AND

KOALAPANDA. I assume that you will also be aboard Encore ? Whereabouts do you live in OZ?

NB: I also agree with M&PGERMANY

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Prior to looking at your responses I had been researching Napoli a little more. Reviews of dirty and don't go there comments were fairly prolific . Followed by comments despite the said shabbiness they enjoyed the City and it's friendly dwellers. Now we have a quandry if not Napoli , where? :confused:We will in total spend a week in Roma and tho' we love Roma seeing a little more of Italy for a couple of days would be nice. Capri,

Ischia or maybe Sorrento is an option. More advice ,please, especially about changing trains in Napoli?

We have visited Sorrento on previous Cruises. This is not the same as being amongst the locals for a few days.

DH is not such an adventurous traveller. Compromise is, train rides of a couple of hours are acceptable.

Hi Patti it will be great to meet up with threesome again.

SKP946 * Encore, yes. * " World's most liveable City" ;)

Edited by koalapanda

We'll be boarding Encore for the 20 day on the 16, I'll look out for you🚴🏼🚴🏿*♀️😀 I didn't realise that Odyssey was also going to be in Barcelona on that day

Yes it looks like both Odyssey and Encore are boarding in Barcelona on the same day. I wonder if they will be next to each other? It would be great if Seabourn let the Odyssey passengers have a little nosey onboard Encore - what do the more experienced Seabourn cruisers reckon - is this ever allowed?

Thanks ab21au. That's interesting - it has the Encore down as having 1170 passengers (thought this may include crew?) but the Odyssey as having 495 so it can't include crew. Is the Encore really a mega ship and they forgot to mention it ;)

Hi Galeforce9 I agree Amalfi is beautiful. DH was a bit stressed on the bus going to Positano last visit. He threw away our return bus tickets and we had return via the local ferry to Amalfi.

Techno123 - what do you think, we Cruisers on Encore saying hello to past cruising mates, favourite staff and crew? Fair exchange?? ;)

Originally posted by Techno123

"Thanks ab21au. That's interesting - it has the Encore down as having 1170 passengers (thought this may include crew?) but the Odyssey as having 495 so it can't include crew. Is the Encore really a mega ship and they forgot to mention it"

Hmmm, from reading the port notes it appears that Encore has 570 crew to 600 pax. but to save costs Seabourn is using Odssey's pax to crew the ship [emoji3][emoji6]

It's going to be a busy Sunday on July 16 in the port of Barcelona279550424eee15440c7bf7a45d2c31ff.jpg86c2a871684f1710bbc484999c2db38e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Quote fro SKP946

Hmmm, from reading the port notes it appears that Encore has 570 crew to 600 pax. but to save costs Seabourn is using Odssey's pax to crew the ship [emoji3][emoji6]

Well SKP946 I grew up in a holiday resort and my parents had a hotel so I can turn my hand to most elements of the hospitality trade - my OH says he draws the line at cleaning the toilets though ;);)

We arrive on Saturday so just planning on a walk down the Ramblas on Sunday morning to see where Odyssey has 'parked' and then we will go back for the cases

Originally posted by Techno123

"Thanks ab21au. That's interesting - it has the Encore down as having 1170 passengers (thought this may include crew?) but the Odyssey as having 495 so it can't include crew. Is the Encore really a mega ship and they forgot to mention it"

It's going to be a busy Sunday on July 16 in the port of Barcelona279550424eee15440c7bf7a45d2c31ff.jpg86c2a871684f1710bbc484999c2db38e.jpg

I believe Odyssey is in transit - not actually picking up or disembarking any passengers there so the 495 (max number) is shown in the transit column whereas the 1170 on Encore is shown as E/D - presumably embarking/disembarking as it is a turn-round port for Encore. The numbers, at this stage, will be estimates based on likely number advised by cruise line, also conceivable there may be some B2B amongst the 1170.

No we are definitely boarding the Odyssey on the 16th July in Barca the Riviera and Aegean Splendours cruise (13 nights) and Encore is also boarding 2 cruises Spanish Isles and Italy (10 nights) and Mediterranean Tapestry (20 night)

No we are definitely boarding the Odyssey on the 16th July in Barca the Riviera and Aegean Splendours cruise (13 nights) and Encore is also boarding 2 cruises Spanish Isles and Italy (10 nights) and Mediterranean Tapestry (20 night)

"I know nothing! I am from Barcelona!"

"I know nothing! I am from Barcelona!"

Manuel: I say to man in shop, "Is rat." He say, "No, no, no. Is a special kind of hamster. Is filigree Siberian hamster." Only one in shop. He make special price, only five pound.

Oh I did love Fawlty Towers and Andrew Sachs as Manuel

Great fun, so happy to see this dialogue on Seabourn message board.

Panda in lycra, well Patti that is not a pretty sight. We all miss Manuel, that was real humour eh!

In tropical Autumn in Melbourne we have decided Sorrento it is for us in July pre cruise. Any suggestions for hotels, please.

Hmmm bet Patti would like to be Chef Jez's Sous chef?

You know, working for Jez could be my alternative career choice.

I last went to Sorrento when I was 14 - wasted on a teenager - and would love to go back so please make sure you let us know what it was like and where you stayed - I'm sure there will be some cycling in the hills above ;):D

Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria is probably the best in Sorrento. Also, as it is on the west side of the main part of town, it is only a short walk to the Circumvesuviana railway station - which you will need to use several times to get to Pompeii, Herculaneum and into Naples for the museum. The last time I was in Sorrento, I stayed at the Bellevue Syrene, which is a lovely boutique hotel. The main (only) disadvantage is the much longer walk to the station.

You know, working for Jez could be my alternative career choice.

I last went to Sorrento when I was 14 - wasted on a teenager - and would love to go back so please make sure you let us know what it was like and where you stayed - I'm sure there will be some cycling in the hills above ;):D

Patti I guessed you were a " foodie" as am I please excuse venecular . Jez's Chef's dinners on our last Cruise were sensational and he was such fun during the Corfu Market visit.

Having decided on Sorrento we are happy and will definitely review for you.

Thank you to everyone for help and encouragement to skip Napoli and go further down the coast to Sorrento. Having decided on Sorrento we are happy and very much looking forward to our stay. Fate has led us to book Hotel Palazzo Marziale.

Edited by koalapanda