MSC Cruises Reveals More Details of Meraviglia Class Cruise Ships

LauraS

Call me crazy, but not sure I would like sailing on something that has more people than the Harmony....one of the reasons I'm not attracted to RC Oasis class is that I feel they are too big. I would like to try RC, but their Freedom class instead.

I'm not one of those who buys into the theory of bigger ships are better ships.

Love2Cruz : you haven't tried the Yacht Club on MSC ... A totally different and relaxed cruise with fantastic service in a separate part of the ship without any crowds or lines. Once you've been there, you do not want to do another type of cruise anymore believe me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love2Cruz : you haven't tried the Yacht Club on MSC ... A totally different and relaxed cruise with fantastic service in a separate part of the ship without any crowds or lines. Once you've been there, you do not want to do another type of cruise anymore believe me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So I hear, but it may be a bit too stuffy for me...I like to unwind and relax and not have to "keep up with appearances". I also travel with my young child. I like no pretension, and no frills. Not to say I won't try it some time...but it's not on my "to do" list right now..I think I saw a Gambee review where he tried it (or maybe I'm confusing it with the Haven) and people were in suits and ties and evening wear..and...that's just not my thing when I'm on vacation. The only reasons lately I even go to the dining room on elegant night is to get my lobster tail.:D

There's absolutely nothing "stuffy" about YC. It's laid back and even more relaxing than the rest of the ship. You don't have to dress up for Gala nights, either, if you don't want to and wouldn't be out of place if you didn't. Anything goes - though men aren't allowed shorts at lunch or dinner in the restaurant (can't remember if it applies to breakfast). It depends on the m'D - some are more relaxed than others.

Call me crazy, but not sure I would like sailing on something that has more people than the Harmony....one of the reasons I'm not attracted to RC Oasis class is that I feel they are too big. I would like to try RC, but their Freedom class instead.

I'm not one of those who buys into the theory of bigger ships are better ships.

Actually, unless I'm missing something here, this ship holds MORE people than Oasis but is the same size of Freedom class. YIKES!!! Something to consider for sure.

Actually, unless I'm missing something here, this ship holds MORE people than Oasis but is the same size of Freedom class. YIKES!!! Something to consider for sure.

And yet I'm still tempted to book because of my experience on the Orchestra..lol :o

I just looked at Spring Break 18 for a European cruise-Western and they have a nice Fantastica cabin with an extended balcony for only 2300 for two...I'm so tempted...of course I have to budget at least another 2K for airfare and a 1 night stay in Barcelona...but again...so tempted. It's only a deck below the pool deck....decisions decisions.

I'm also planning on taking a summer cruise on the Seaside the same year...sigh....

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

Oasis holds 5400 pax(over 6100 onboard once),,MSC Meraviglia will accomodate 4500 pax,,,:)

Edited by Mikesa1721

And yet I'm still tempted to book because of my experience on the Orchestra..lol :o

I just looked at Spring Break 18 for a European cruise-Western and they have a nice Fantastica cabin with an extended balcony for only 2300 for two...I'm so tempted...of course I have to budget at least another 2K for airfare and a 1 night stay in Barcelona...but again...so tempted. It's only a deck below the pool deck....decisions decisions.

I'm also planning on taking a summer cruise on the Seaside the same year...sigh....

We're looking to book MSC Meraviglia as well Love2, but we're not to crazy about the Western itinerary. Hoping MSC Meraviglia II will be sent to North America in 2019,,,preferably NYC!!:D

Probably is. Here's a link to the technical sheet on the Ireland website (cue joke...)

http://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/Cruise-Ships/MSC-Meraviglia.aspx

It even states less cabins than the US site

Haaaaaa!!!! Even the engine configuration is different,,,I'll have to talk with my peeps in Italy to see if I can get the exact specifications!!:)

Oasis holds 5400 pax(over 6100 onboard once),,MSC Meraviglia will accomodate 4500 pax,,,:)

Oh boy... yet another MSC information issue :(. Here is a copy from the article Laura linked:

"The 5,700-passenger ship will become the largest cruise ship afloat in terms of passenger capacity when it launches in June 2017. MSC Meraviglia is currently being built in the same shipyard as Royal Caribbean's Oasis class ships (which currently hold the title for the most passengers at 5,479) and will be the biggest ship ever built by a European-based cruise line."

For me, the number of people isn't anything to concern over, it is space ratio. Since the Meraviglia is only 167,000 gt/ if it holds more people than Oasis that should be a huge red flag. Hopefully it's just recent articles about Meraviglia that are incorrect, I suppose time will tell :)

Oh boy... yet another MSC information issue :(. Here is a copy from the article Laura linked:

"The 5,700-passenger ship will become the largest cruise ship afloat in terms of passenger capacity when it launches in June 2017. MSC Meraviglia is currently being built in the same shipyard as Royal Caribbean's Oasis class ships (which currently hold the title for the most passengers at 5,479) and will be the biggest ship ever built by a European-based cruise line."

For me, the number of people isn't anything to concern over, it is space ratio. Since the Meraviglia is only 167,000 gt/ if it holds more people than Oasis that should be a huge red flag. Hopefully it's just recent articles about Meraviglia that are incorrect, I suppose time will tell :)

Max capacity on Oasis is over 6100 passengers Bermuda,,,max capacity on Meraviglia is 5700,,,

We're looking to book MSC Meraviglia as well Love2, but we're not to crazy about the Western itinerary. Hoping MSC Meraviglia II will be sent to North America in 2019,,,preferably NYC!!:D

I haven't done a Western MED itinerary so I'm fine with the route. I'm doing some price comparisons right now with other cruise lines and so far the Meraviglia is coming out on top with the Oasis a close second....of course, it will still be more expensive due to airfare, but I'd rather go to Europe then doing another Carib....as I do those ALL THE TIME.

Still not ready to pull the plug though...though the good part of booking early is taking advantage of the better cabin locations.