What's up with Windstar??

cherdon

We recently booked our 5th cruise on Windstar. We are having 2nd thoughts because of the communication with them. We sent an email asking about scuba shore excursions. We included date & departing port. Our answer was. Windstar doesn't require scuba on board due to safety reasons.?? What?? It continues in answer to our questions about scuba excursions We offer those on select sailings. We sent date? Wouldn't you think they'd say yes or no on our sailing? It is in the Caribbean so you'd think maybe they'd offer scuba.

We recently booked our 5th cruise on Windstar. We are having 2nd thoughts because of the communication with them. We sent an email asking about scuba shore excursions. We included date & departing port. Our answer was. Windstar doesn't require scuba on board due to safety reasons.?? What?? It continues in answer to our questions about scuba excursions We offer those on select sailings. We sent date? Wouldn't you think they'd say yes or no on our sailing? It is in the Caribbean so you'd think maybe they'd offer scuba.

Not excusing them, but if you go to the website and look at your cruise (you need to log in) you'll see a list of all the available excursions. Of course, the agent should have that same information at hand. :confused:

We did that. We have a St. Maarten stop and would like to go on the America cup yacht activity. We did it serveral yrs. ago and enjoyed it. It's not listed so we contacted the tour. They said that's odd we have to book through Windstar. It's not listed?? We've already had one port canceled with no explanation. :rolleyes: I called to ask why? The answer was I don't know. It seems they are lacking in customer service. Or the staff is not being trained well to answer questions.

Agree, you can find the offered excursions on your sailing on Windstar's webpage. If they don't have what you want, consider booking with an outside vendor.

I rarely book excursions through the cruise line.

Totally agree. We rarely book with the cruise line. In the case of diving. It's better to see if others are going because to book a dive by yourself isn't that easy. Our 1st Windstar cruise was back when Windstar encouraged scuba from the ship. We were not divers then. But, their were a lot of divers on board. Windstar's answer we don't require scuba because of safety was almost humorous. I think they meant offer.

For our last Wind Spirit cruise the excursions changed from the time we booked until we boarded. I think there were a few new ones added once we got on board (unless I didn't check them right before we left).

Yes. Usually some added and I've never actually cross checked but believe that some were removed - probably due to very low or zero prebookings.

Our rule is that if there is something we REALLY want that we suspect will sell out that seems a reasonable price we'll prebook. Otherwise we wait until we board and make decisions as we go. On some occasions we've meet people on board who we want to spend the day with so we all book the same tour. Or, with 4 you can often do better by just getting a cab for the day on dock (works best at smaller ports).

And the tours you see on the site when the cruises are first announced are wildly incomplete and/or just plain wrong. On our itin from Olso to Belgium then were offering tours to the Scottish Islands. Um, not. Later the real tours appeared.

Edited by milepig

The trouble is half the people in the customer service areas have limited detailed product knowledge and also the young these days do NOT read properly the question . They answer what they think is the issue, rather than directly answer your question .

Whilst WINDSTAR is a great cruise product I find their Customer relations people pretty hopeless . I had my sailing date changed and also the vessel and they upped my fare considerably in the process . E mailed them several times, to no avail . Then to add insult to injury they introduce a price guarantee after they have moved my booking .

I maintain it is good PR to past cruisers to honour a booking and price, if they move the sailing date and change the vessel that is not my fault . I am fitting in with Windstar and yet they treat me like smeg .

The trouble is half the people in the customer service areas have limited detailed product knowledge and also the young these days do NOT read properly the question . They answer what they think is the issue, rather than directly answer your question .

Whilst WINDSTAR is a great cruise product I find their Customer relations people pretty hopeless . I had my sailing date changed and also the vessel and they upped my fare considerably in the process . E mailed them several times, to no avail . Then to add insult to injury they introduce a price guarantee after they have moved my booking .

I maintain it is good PR to past cruisers to honour a booking and price, if they move the sailing date and change the vessel that is not my fault . I am fitting in with Windstar and yet they treat me like smeg .

Are you kidding? Have been considering Windstar cruise next year, then I read posts like this which are worrisome. Year ago on HAL our 10 day cruise got shortened to 8 days(as I recall) and lots of port changes so they could go into dry dock earlier than originally scheduled. HAL let us cancel that one and re-book another 11 day and they gave us same price and $200 PP credit for inconvenience and the promotions from original cruise. Can't remember what the credit would have been to keep original cruise with altered itinerary, but was substantial, and we were pleased with the credit HAL provided. Doesn't sound like Windstar has much customer care or service so that is concerning.

Jane

Jane

I have cruised 19 times with WS and obviously really like it. Throughout the years there has always been a disconnect between the quality of the cruise which in my mind are increcible in every way: majestic sails, great ports, unbelievable service, great food, elegant without being ostentatious, relaxing and fun etc. And the headquarters in Seattle. At times can be it can frustrating. However, I have seen great improvements since they brought in a new management team. I recommend you try WS, use a travel agent I think you will not be sorry. I have seen evidence that things are greatly improving. They need to train their reservations people like they traun their people on the ships.

Have a great sail. Enjoy.

Are you kidding? Have been considering Windstar cruise next year, then I read posts like this which are worrisome. Year ago on HAL our 10 day cruise got shortened to 8 days(as I recall) and lots of port changes so they could go into dry dock earlier than originally scheduled. HAL let us cancel that one and re-book another 11 day and they gave us same price and $200 PP credit for inconvenience and the promotions from original cruise. Can't remember what the credit would have been to keep original cruise with altered itinerary, but was substantial, and we were pleased with the credit HAL provided. Doesn't sound like Windstar has much customer care or service so that is concerning.

Jane

Jane

I have cruised 19 times with WS and obviously really like it. Throughout the years there has always been a disconnect between the quality of the cruise which in my mind are increcible in every way: majestic sails, great ports, unbelievable service, great food, elegant without being ostentatious, relaxing and fun etc. And the headquarters in Seattle. At times can be it can frustrating. However, I have seen great improvements since they brought in a new management team. I recommend you try WS, use a travel agent I think you will not be sorry. I have seen evidence that things are greatly improving. They need to train their reservations people like they traun their people on the ships.

Have a great sail. Enjoy.

This - use a TA and you'll never need to speak to anyone in Seattle, which is a good thing!