Huge decline . . . .?

This is a scatter-shot reply addressing some of the points raised in this interesting and useful discussion.

As for posters with an agenda -- yes, there are some, including those with a pronounced positive bias

As for the notion that no cruise can be perfect, of course I agree. Little in life approaches perfection. Yet my Regent Navigator experience touched on a number of areas from food to service, from wine to coffee (yes, the dreaded coffee issue), from discordant music (country twang in the elevators, electric guitar at afternoon tea) to the the heavy clumsy furniture and lack of shady seating on the pool deck. More than a few areas onboard let us down.

We loved our master suite and its butler and stewards. The ice cream bar was fab, best calories onboard!

on the Navigator, she is a beautiful ship and is perfect for most cruisers.

We noticed the vibration in a few aft areas but weren't much bothered by it; our (true) suite was as forward as its possible to get on deck 9.

I recall my own distress when I first was posting on the Regent CC board ahead of my first-ever cruise and TravelCat2 doused my high by writing she would not again sail Navigator. So, that's a dicey issue -- how honest to be in reflecting one's own experience? In this case the original poster seemed to seek a modicum of reality which I sought to provide.

I am sorry that my comments regarding the Navigator were so upsetting to you. I was being honest as I am being now. The reasons that I do not sail on the Navigator has more to do with their PH suites and public areas (public areas being changed next year). The food, service and even "elevator music" has been just fine (you are probably the first person that ever noticed the music in the elevator but I did pay attention last time and it wasn't country -- think that they play a variety of music in order to appeal to all tastes).

It is also sad that your first Regent experience did not meet your expectations. As you know, very few people are able to sail in a Master Suite so I wonder if even the Explorer would be acceptable since the service, music, food in CR .in La Veranda will be the same since the menus are dictated by corporate. Not everyone is meant to sail on Regent -- you certainly are not the first person to not find it to your liking. Based on your comments over the months, it sounds like your expectation of "luxury" is a bit different than your experience on Regent. I truly hope that you find Silversea and Seabourn meet your high requirements. Having sailed on Silversea more than once, I think you will find it mostly the same as Regent (with an Italian flair and a more formal environment. )

To get back on point, the OP was seeking information regarding whether or not there has been a decline on Regent since he last sailed. Based on 20 cruises (and counting:-), there has not really been a decline. Changes? Absolutely! Price increases - definitely! The food and service are no worse or better than it has ever been. IMO, Regent is a quite consistent (except when some Oceania officers are transferred to Regent but that is a discussion for another time).

Again, hope that your second and subsequent cruises are exactly what you are seeking!

Edited by Travelcat2

The food, service and even "elevator music" has been just fine (you are probably the first person that ever noticed the music in the elevator but I did pay attention last time and it wasn't country -- think that they play a variety of music in order to appeal to all tastes). [. . .] As you know, very few people are able to sail in a Master Suite so I wonder if even the Explorer would be right.

Yet I noted we loved our master suite. As for the music, I get the impression my experience didn't exist because it was not your experience. The other couple in the elevator rolled their eyes in tandem with us.

This is the sort of disingenuous response that distresses. Pretty soon there will be a post here about cat fights, sigh. How to clear the, er, decks without counterpoint? I suppose it doesn't matter much but it surely grates in my craw.

I was being honest as I am being now. The reasons that I do not sail on the Navigator has more to do with their PH suites and public areas (public areas being changed next year).

PH suites? Why? We are currently booked in a PH suite.

There is music in the elevators???? We have been cruising on Regent for 13 years now, all three ships numerous times, and have never once noticed or been aware of music in the elevators. How long are you in them anyway? The only thing I have ever noticed is on Voyager, when they lady says "you are on deck xx".

In any case, Navigator is not our favorite ship, but we always have a great time on her, have had wonderful service, food, drink and found frinedly passengers and staff. Our main issue is the lack of an observation lounge, and the sometimes crowded Navigator lounge. We only get a standard suite and find them spacious and comfortable.

luv2cook - I think the comment about the PH suites is referring to the fact that on Navigator, PH suites are exactly the same as the standard ones, but they are on the very aft, and have a larger balcony, whereas on the other two ships PH suites are larger and a different layout than standard cabins.

There is music in the elevators???? We have been cruising on Regent for 13 years now, all three ships numerous times, and have never once noticed or been aware of music in the elevators. How long are you in them anyway? The only thing I have ever noticed is on Voyager, when they lady says "you are on deck xx".

LOL, That was the same question I had!

luv2cook: ridolphi explained perfectly we do not care for PH suites -- we pay more money and there is no additional space. The one suite we love on the Navigator is 1125 (a Navigator suite in a unique position that is set up more like an apartment than a cruise ship suite). There is also one unique PH suite - 601 - odd layout but larger balcony. We did an upsell to a Master Suite once and did not care for the suite or location (the suite is under the "bridge" so you hear officers walking back and forth above your head 24/7 and suites that are forward hear the anchor very early in the morning).

ridolphi and cruiseluv - a quickie comment about the elevators. On Oceania, the "elevator person" says "You are on floor xx". I did notice this since it took me a long time to remember that ships have decks - not floors. Anyway, Regent's elevator person is now speaking in "floors" as well. Now that I've explain it, it wasn't as funny as it was when I was on the ship:p

Edited by Travelcat2

Well, all of our cruises so far have been on Regent except for one. And although we haven't really experienced a 'CFH' to speak of, the closest one was on our non-Regent cruise. Mediocre food, less-than-engaging dinner table mates, too damn many people, and a booming case of norovirus...let's just say we were both pining for Regent on THAT cruise.

But even after it was all said and done, we STILL enjoyed that cruise, just not up to the level of enjoyment we've experienced on Regent. Would I sail that line again? Highly doubtful. Would I try another premium or luxury line? Perhaps. But until Regent flies us home with both of us saying "What a waste of time and money" I'm sure we'll continue to be RSSC cheerleaders.

Just my two shiny pennies.

The music in the elevators is new and can be quite annoying. I noticed that individuals who were wearing the new high frequency, computer controlled hearing aids found the music to be quite a nuisance, yet others who do not hear as well as they did in their younger years did not really mind. My complaint is that is can be difficult to hold a conversation, albeit short, in the elevator with the loud background music. I know many of us made note on our comment card to turn down the music - I will see next week if they have.

gnomie :)

Btw Jackie there is one cruise I will always pan and in spades. Naples to Palermo courtesy of National Geographic. It was on a 34 person boat and everything on the trip that they contracted for went wrong. The chef was drunker than the chef on Fawlty Towers and it went downhill from there. We and the others finally mutinied. It turned out that the operator had gone bankrupt just prior to the trip. Truly, truly a cfh.

This thread & pingpong’s comments have stirred up several for-what-it’s-worth thoughts.

On the issue of differences between daily reports and final reviews:

For me, I do not want to participate in a vacation with the mindset of evaluating/critiquing every part of the experience. If I did, it would seriously detract from my enjoyment & the enjoyment of those around me. I think I owe it to myself & my travel companions to do my best to enjoy the experience without looking for & discussing faults. I enjoy reading well written travel blogs. They are entertaining & informative. I also benefit from reading after-the-fact reviews because they help me form judgments about how I might enjoy (or not) the same experience. I have written negative reviews on open table & TripAdvisor and said some negative things about Regent, but always after-the-fact & not while experiencing the restaurant or hotel or ship. I hope nobody with me experienced any negativity or heard complaints from me. Why spoil a fun time with complaints? (Perhaps if I were a paid inspector for Michelin, I would enjoy my work.) I know there are people who enjoy writing daily evaluations/critiques of every aspect of the cruise experience & people who enjoy reading them. I am not one of them.

On the issue of value:

For me, value is some function of benefits minus costs. We all have different expectations of benefits & each of us values some benefits more than others. For me, food, wine, service, & the hardware are important. I don’t use or associate any benefits with large group tours. I understand why others might. So the Regent included tours offer me no benefits & add to the cost; therefore, they reduce the value to me. In addition, for what Regent charges, most of us expect a high level of benefits. For some of us, a dollar, (or pound or Euro) is more precious than others. I don’t mind paying the outrageous price for a meal at a Michelin 3 star restaurant if I get 3 star quality. I have good friends who would not see the benefit of spending that kind of money for a meal no matter how good it is. I also have friends that would see value in an owner’s suite or a private jet. I would not.

On the assumption that people are more likely to post a negative review than a positive review, I often discount a large amount of negativity as atypical. I’m not sure that holds true on CC because of the hostility posters experience when they make negative comments. So, I think, at least on this board, there is a disincentive to post negative comments unless you are an “insider.” So, things could be worse than as represented on CC.

On the OP’s original post:

I haven’t been on Regent in several years. Based on my reading of CC I would not say there has been a huge decline in benefits. I do think the food reviews are, on average, getting somewhat worse. (I don’t see how the steak described by TC can be dry aged, USDA Prime as advertised by Regent, and steaks are easily transported anywhere as frozen without harm.) Service seems the same. It does seem that prices & fees are much higher. I have formed my perception of higher costs by reading CC, not by actually checking fares & fees. If so, by my formula, a significant increase in price coupled even with a small reduction in benefits would have a big negative impact on my perceived value.

This thread & pingpong’s comments have stirred up several for-what-it’s-worth thoughts.

On the issue of differences between daily reports and final reviews:

For me, I do not want to participate in a vacation with the mindset of evaluating/critiquing every part of the experience. If I did, it would seriously detract from my enjoyment & the enjoyment of those around me. I think I owe it to myself & my travel companions to do my best to enjoy the experience without looking for & discussing faults. I enjoy reading well written travel blogs. They are entertaining & informative. I also benefit from reading after-the-fact reviews because they help me form judgments about how I might enjoy (or not) the same experience. I have written negative reviews on open table & TripAdvisor and said some negative things about Regent, but always after-the-fact & not while experiencing the restaurant or hotel or ship. I hope nobody with me experienced any negativity or heard complaints from me. Why spoil a fun time with complaints? (Perhaps if I were a paid inspector for Michelin, I would enjoy my work.) I know there are people who enjoy writing daily evaluations/critiques of every aspect of the cruise experience & people who enjoy reading them. I am not one of them.

On the issue of value:

For me, value is some function of benefits minus costs. We all have different expectations of benefits & each of us values some benefits more than others. For me, food, wine, service, & the hardware are important. I don’t use or associate any benefits with large group tours. I understand why others might. So the Regent included tours offer me no benefits & add to the cost; therefore, they reduce the value to me. In addition, for what Regent charges, most of us expect a high level of benefits. For some of us, a dollar, (or pound or Euro) is more precious than others. I don’t mind paying the outrageous price for a meal at a Michelin 3 star restaurant if I get 3 star quality. I have good friends who would not see the benefit of spending that kind of money for a meal no matter how good it is. I also have friends that would see value in an owner’s suite or a private jet. I would not.

On the assumption that people are more likely to post a negative review than a positive review, I often discount a large amount of negativity as atypical. I’m not sure that holds true on CC because of the hostility posters experience when they make negative comments. So, I think, at least on this board, there is a disincentive to post negative comments unless you are an “insider.” So, things could be worse than as represented on CC.

On the OP’s original post:

I haven’t been on Regent in several years. Based on my reading of CC I would not say there has been a huge decline in benefits. I do think the food reviews are, on average, getting somewhat worse. (I don’t see how the steak described by TC can be dry aged, USDA Prime as advertised by Regent, and steaks are easily transported anywhere as frozen without harm.) Service seems the same. It does seem that prices & fees are much higher. I have formed my perception of higher costs by reading CC, not by actually checking fares & fees. If so, by my formula, a significant increase in price coupled even with a small reduction in benefits would have a big negative impact on my perceived value.

A really sensible post which provides some thoughtful analysis in the last two sections. Our first cruise on Regent was in 2006. Since that time, fares have easily tripled...yes tripled and there have been accompanying cutbacks. I would easily cruise 1-2 times a year but feel that Regent has priced me out. The biggest issue was to discover the slashed pricing for cruisers from the UK and elsewhere. They were paying half or less than what we were even after you adjusted for airfares and also receiving upgrades even though we were Gold...so I still read CC and wish I was cruising but I need to get my head around the value proposition

Tallship, interesting point on pricing in UK vs. US. The subject has come up on this board and others but I haven't studied the issue. Are some fares in UK really half the US level after adjusting for air? I understand there will be some differentials as exchange rates move around, but half? I sort of understand dynamic pricing in the airline industry (to the extent anybody understands it), but I don't think the airlines have moved to differential pricing based on one's address, at least in the US.

flukey: Yes - some itineraries in some categories were half the price during a promotion that, according to the G.M. onboard the Mariner ended 2 months ago. I actually saw a brochure that was sent to me by someone in the U.K. ...... so, this is a fact!

gnomie1: FYI - the volume control in the elevators is inside of the elevator. We had someone turn it off while we were in the elevator. Obviously, someone on your cruise turned it up. I cannot recall when Regent did not have music in elevators but, as has been said, you are only there for seconds or a minute -- I cannot imagine anyone getting upset by something for that short of a period of time (and if they are, then can turn it down). If people with hearing aids find the elevators too loud, I cannot imagine what they think of the theater that can be truly "blasting" loud.

Although this thread is not about value vs. cost (that was done on another recent thread), if you look for specials - they do exist. The cruise we booked an hour ago already had included Business Class fare for all categories but now offers category upgrades. We booked one category and upgraded 3 categories. So, we are now taking a cruise that wasn't even on our radar -- all because of the right pricing and the right itinerary for us.

In terms of the actual topic, feel free to look at reviews from years ago to now. The same comments were made about food. as well as other items. Please do not take my word for it -- look for yourselves. I posted a review several years ago about a piece of grouper that I could not cut with a knife......... another about a crab claw that looked like something crawled into it and died. I could focus on that (or the one steak that I didn't like on an 18 night cruise) or look at the overall picture which, for us, has remained the same. On Oceania I could focus on a couple of very negative experiences (the same with Silversea). Some folks are simply going to look only at the negative while others move beyond it.

Edited by Travelcat2

diebroke, A very thoughtful analysis and depending on your point of view my thought exactly. I am referring to the simile of the Michelin 3* restaurant. I have been to the French Laundry with my wife and son. With wine and tip included the evening cost over $1500. Imo and my companions it was worth every penny and the quality lived up to if not exceeded its reputation. I would have given it a rave review and in fact did so on Tripadvisor. It was not perfect. Some of the courses were too esoteric. In our opinion the highlight was the first course which meant that subsequent delicacies did not measure up. But a great evening. Importantly, I knew going in what I would pay and so there was no shock or awe.

Someone else may be put off by the price even though the performance is as advertised. Either they haven't done their research or they shouldn't be there, BUT in the context of my proposition they should not give a negative review. The restaurant delivered what they were asked too--a superb evening.

Btw, You can have a great evening at the French Laundry for a lot less money, just don't say "you pick the wines, and here is the budget". They charged exactly what I told them even though the wine value was way over that number. Needless to say I raised the gratuity.

Thank you for this forum. Reviews have trended so negatively, I almost didn't go through with my July 19 Mariner cruise. I enjoyed my previous aboard the Voayager some years back I will let you know how this one goes.