Huge decline . . . .?

TC and ladymadeline, Some observations about ladymadeline's review. I was stunned to read on this thread that ladym had written a negative review so I read it. I then read again her ongoing blog written live. I found it difficult to believe that she was referring to the same experience. The food went from very good/terrific to ok. The wine appeared to be enjoyable in the blog, but the review complains about the sommelier service. I guess I don't get it.:confused:

Just another comment to follow my previous post. As I stated I followed ladym carefully as we were supposed to be on this cruise. I frequently commented to DW how frustrated I was as ladym was having such a good time. I agree that value is a criteria in evaluating an experience, but if you know it will be expensive and have a good time; where is the disconnect?

I just read LadyM's review . . . so different from her blog that it's as if they were writing by two different people. . . she is of course, entitled to her opinions (notice that I used the plural) but it still seems odd to me.

I'm looking forward to being on the Voyager in August.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Let's set the record straight. We had a wonderful vacation, fabulous weather, calm seas, some amazing scenery...but I was being objective when I returned and let the aura of being on a nice trip wear off a little. The food was okay, not bad at all...just not fantastic. Wines were fine, service to pour them...not so much. Excursions..mixed reviews.

As I stated...I struggled with the "star" rating. Couldn't decide between a two or three, but went down due to OUR perceived value. If anyone read my post yesterday, I said it's all relative.

Don't beat me up. I was trying to be objective.

If I can't be honest with my opinions, I'm probably not welcome here anymore.:confused:

A "Lady" is nobility in Britain and Ireland.

I understand you shouldn't have to rub elbows with lowly Luddites and serfs on REGENT.

THERE ARE MANY CRUISE LINES . GOOD LUCK!

BON VOYAGE!!

Let's set the record straight. We had a wonderful vacation, fabulous weather, calm seas, some amazing scenery...but I was being objective when I returned and let the aura of being on a nice trip wear off a little. The food was okay, not bad at all...just not fantastic. Wines were fine, service to pour them...not so much. Excursions..mixed reviews.

As I stated...I struggled with the "star" rating. Couldn't decide between a two or three, but went down due to OUR perceived value. If anyone read my post yesterday, I said it's all relative.

If I can't be honest with my opinions, I'm probably not welcome here anymore.:confused:

As mentioned earlier, I felt that your review was sincere and honest!

I also enjoyed your blog and now appreciate your review. Thanks for taking the time to do so, it is refreshing to read live reports from different posters. Sorry that the cheerleaders couldn't handle it, but be assured there are lots of lurkers like me who are looking for honest reviews.

I also enjoyed your blog and now appreciate your review. Thanks for taking the time to do so, it is refreshing to read live reports from different posters. Sorry that the cheerleaders couldn't handle it, but be assured there are lots of lurkers like me who are looking for honest reviews.

I am one of Regent's top cheerleaders and had no problem with the review. It was honest and had no underlying agenda. Unfortunately, this can not be said for some reviewers.

Have not posted for about two years.

After dealing with several family health situations (Time "Marches On")--feel the need to comment on recent postings re: Voyager and Regent in general.

My wife and I have been cruising for 20 years on the various Lines, from monster ships (you know the drill--Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, Cunard) to the "boutique" Seaborne, Silversea, Regent, and Crystal vessels. At this point in our personal life voyage, feel most-comfortable on those smaller, all-inclusive ships.

During 2013 and 2014, completed two extended multi-segment Far East cruises on Voyager, to include either pre or post-cruise 3-day land add-ons at Hong Kong, Singapore, or Malaysia.

Basic post-cruise assessment: Uniform top service both on and off the ship. No slippage in service or amenities since we first-sailed w/the Regent brand in 2003.

We are signed-up for the Mariner 12/09/2015 Cape Town to Rio trip. Leaving from our Redmond, WA home several days early to arrive at Cape Town with sufficient time to experience that city; then join the Regent group at an assigned hotel (not sure which, at this point) for a three-day safari experience via Port Elizabeth.

I will be sure to post comments following our 12/23 return home. Stay tuned.

Regards,

GOARMY!

LadyM- i think your opinion is your opinion and I enjoyed your blog posts and like TC felt that your review was fair and honest. Some the posts above are personal attacks and at least one should be deleted.

Thanks and continue to post

Edited by tallship

We've only been cruising for about 6 years now, so I'm probably not the best person to chime in on this - but that's never stopped me before!

All of our cruises save one have been on Regent. We did our due diligence before we booked, we found a TA who knew the Regent brand and could help us get the best bang for our buck, and although there have been a few minor speed bumps, our experiences have been positive enough that we feel comfortable giving Regent $20K to $30K+ every year or so to pamper us and show us new places, people, and experiences. So far, we haven't been disappointed (too badly).

We're sailing on Mariner again in about a month, so we'll be looking forward to seeing if the level of service is up to previous standards. I'm guessing it will be - but if it's not, I'm not afraid to be somewhat vocal about it.

As always, I just sit back and thank (my lucky stars) (diety of choice) that I'm in a position to be able to travel, and travel in comfort. I'm also thankful that we have the choices we have in our luxury travel options. So far Regent has more than satisfied our relatively simple needs, and until that changes, we'll continue to sail with them.

Will post my thoughts upon my return.

Sail on.

I have to agree with other posters who are confused by the disconnect between the "live" version of Voyager and the subsequent review. Following ladymadeleine's blog posts I got a very different impression of her experience on board than I did from reading the review. Maybe that's what it came down to for her - the experience was good to great but the value was not good in her estimation? I may enjoy something, ie. designer clothing, fine wine but not see the value in it.

And seriously computerworks "luddite attributes"?? Rather harsh stereotyping of passengers, based on only one Regent experience.

And seriously computerworks "luddite attributes"?? Rather harsh stereotyping of passengers, based on only one Regent experience.

Absolutely apt...based on quite a few years of observation.

..and not meant to be derogatory....a term of art in my profession. :p

... One who fears technology (or new technology), as they seem pleased with how things currently are..
Edited by computerworks

ladym, As far as I'm concerned you are welcome here and I certainly was not trying to beat you up. I just felt that your member review contained none of the joy of your blog. As I said in my post value is important, but imo if one knows the equation ahead of time it should not change the rating. My problem is only that if there was sincerity in your blog why do you feel the totally different review was sincere as well?

A question to the last few posters..... Have you ever been on vacation - relaxing - going with the flow -- happy to be where you are? Then, when you get back to reality (home) and reflect on the experience things that may not have bothered you very much at the time remain with you and your feelings about the vacation change somewhat? Speaking for myself, when we were on my often mentioned "cruise from hell", it wasn't until I got home that I realized just how miserable the cruise was. I don't even recall if I posted from the cruise but, if I did, I'm sure my comments did not reflect the feelings that I had after the cruise.

TC, You certainly did post from your cfh. In addition, although you praised Regent for trying to get your luggage, you commented frequently on how unhappy you were with several different aspects of the cruise, ranging from food to excursions to your frustration with being stuck in the same clothes (you included BA and LHT).

I understand where you're coming from, but DW and I try to look at the overall experience. If we can say as we fly home "that was great" looking for negatives does not change our satisfaction.

We took the family to a rental in the Dordogne last summer. The overall experience was fantastic. Were there problems, of course, a rental car not available, a heat wave in a non ac house, two closed highly anticipated sites. Our reaction when we got home was not to focus on that but rather the great time we had anyway. Even the 16 year old princess still raves about the time in France with Grandpa and Nana, not about the heat or an occasional cold shower.:D

TC, You certainly did post from your cfh. In addition, although you praised Regent for trying to get your luggage, you commented frequently on how unhappy you were with several different aspects of the cruise, ranging from food to excursions to your frustration with being stuck in the same clothes (you included BA and LHT).

\

Good memory but wrong cruise. We loved the cruise when we lost our luggage - despite the inconvenience. That cruise was 28 nights - Stockholm to Copenhagen with the majority of ports being in Norway. It may be the best cruise we have taken in terms of the part of the world that we sailed in. The cruise I was referring to was Singapore to Sydney.

In any event, when I post from the ship, I am giving my opinions of what is going on at the moment. So, when I left Prime 7 on our last cruise after we both had a very disappointing meal, I posted details (computerworks posted photos of the dishes). By the time we got home, it did not seem like a big deal - we almost had forgotten about it. In terms of the "cfh", it is upsetting to even remember it - even a year and a half later.

Anyway, my point was that sometimes things are viewed differently in hindsight than when going through the experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience in Dordogne - it actually sounds like a great vacation (even with cold showers):)

Edited by Travelcat2

Interesting TC, Our cfh was Sydney to Singapore. But even with a cyclone, a heat wave, death of an entertainer, missed ports, mediocre food and one less day in Bali we still would call the overall experience wonderful. Despite missing the GBR we saw so much of Aus. and Indonesia (high point Komodo) that we will always look back at it as one of the high points of our travel history. The next leg Singapore to HK, overall was not as much fun but still with Viet Nam and Halong Bay was interesting enough to get a B+.

My point, when asked about the overall cruise, our response always is "wonderful".

When we reviewed it we did comment about the food but still gave high marks because of the totality not the individual parts.

Full disclosure, Regent rebated 1/2 the first leg fare as a credit not cash. We felt that was more than fair although there were those who were outraged they didn't receive cash.

HanaleiSailor, our first cruise was aboard Regent Navigator in January. We loved being at sea but did not love Navigator. Our Regent experience was not luxe. We are booked next on Silversea and Seabourn. Hoping those cruises will be more copacetic.

Edited by OctoberKat