why so many bad reviews for MSC Divina?

E46M3

We're planning for a vacation and so far this 7 night Caribbean cruise in Nov is one of the vacation ideas. It's within our budget and the cheapest Caribbean cruise I could find. We only been on one cruise prior and it was on the Oasis of the seas and we went on the western route. My wife and I LOVED it! Service was great, entertainment was awesome, food was phenomenal, and we loved how big the ship was. Upon doing some research on this ship, the reviews were kinda mixed, most of the bad reviews were about bad food and bad service. What are your thoughts? We'll be traveling with a 3 year old as well. So we can't really afford going on the Oasis again as it's double the price compare to this one. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I think there is a bias against MSC cruise lines because it is not an American based cruise line and it is run differently. I think there is a certain segment that does not like change. They don't like the fact that many of the passenger are from Europe and the food has an Italian based slant. The food is not the Olive Garden version Italian and instead represents the type of food you would find in Italy. We love it.

I think if you are open minded and are willing to embrace diversity you will have a wonderful time. It is actually refreshing for my family because it is not a cookie cutter cruise line.

I think if you are open minded and are willing to embrace diversity you will have a wonderful time. It is actually refreshing for my family because it is not a cookie cutter cruise line.

Parrallax hit the proverbial nail on the head. If you take it for what it is and don't try to compare it to your experience on another line, you'll have a great time.

Bret

I think there is a bias against MSC cruise lines because it is not an American based cruise line and it is run differently. I think there is a certain segment that does not like change. They don't like the fact that many of the passenger are from Europe and the food has an Italian based slant. The food is not the Olive Garden version Italian and instead represents the type of food you would find in Italy. We love it.

I agree 100% with you Parallax!!! Just because MSC doesn't serve meals you can find at any chain restaurant in the USA like the other mass market cruise lines do,,all of a sudden the food is horrible,,didn't realize so many food critics sailed MSC. Personally,,I've never noticed because the food onboard MSC Divina is incredible!!! In regards to the service,,,the waiters,,servers,,,they are not walking the pool decks with trays of drinks,,,they will only approach you if they are called upon,,so I suppose this is where the bad service complaints comes from as well.

Idk about bias. MSC was the first cruise I've ever taken and I would agree with a lot of reviews. Our waiter was impossible to understand and there were a cpl instances when I ordered something and it never showed up. Sure I could have tried to track him down to make it right, but I didn't. Also, there was a cpl days when finding something I wanted to eat on the menu was a challenge.

I'll say that ppl judge things differently. Maybe some 1 star reviews had the same experience that I did but I am a pretty laid back and would hardly call my experience a 1 star review.

I enjoyed the cruise but then we went on Carnival and I did enjoy their trivia far more, their 24 hour ice cream option, and their massive amounts of dining options. (By comparison to MSC anyway)

MSC has them beat in the pizza category(The pizza was absolutely great), it was a prettier ship, and I'll say their shows are maybe a little bit better. I liked MSC shows but it was more a show of talent I think rather than a cohesive story....So that bothered me a bit.

I'm debating now if I want to book MSC for next year or not. I do think they're trying hard to improve the experience for the American market and it's possible some things have changed since I cruised last year.

Each person wants certain things from cruising so it's hard for me to judge if you'd like it OP. But I'll say it's a very nice ship and I didn't hate my experience there. I say ignore the star rating and read what ppl are saying about the ship. That'll give you a good idea with what to expect.

Check out what the ship has to offer and compare the prices with it's competitions offerings. Only you can decide what's important to you.

I did read a lot of negative reviews about the Divina before I set sail but I wasn't overly worried since as long as it was a floating ship and I didn't have to work for an entire week I would be content. But doesn't mean there are not better options for your personal situation for the same or a little more money. :)

I have been on the Divina three times and will be sailing again next February. (always caribbean, mostly Americans on board). I have been on the Poesia last week (80% Italians, the rest French and Germans, Spanish and Dutch, some Scandinavians and British, few Americans... and it was a totally different experience I must admit although the organization on the ship is the same, even the ship is similar although the Divina is bigger, ligther, has more elegance, glamor and covered pool, too. Italians on an Italian ship feels like being on a big Italian family reunion. La Dolce Vita at its best. Although there are many kids on board you never have the feeling you have to kill every second one (they are not half as spoiled though), and even or because ou do not understand them you never feel annoyed of their talking because they do not show off, are just among themselves... hard to explain. There is just one big noise (people) that you learn to ignore and you will be fine. So I can imagine that Americans - at least in Europe - might feel somewhat second classed. Usually it's them who are the loudest (because of their language not their temperament) but suddenly they are overwhelmed and sometimes even overseen. But that can be good, too. I am Germany, my husband Italian and I always sympathize with the Americans cause I feel a bit strange, too among all those Dolce Vita chitchat...

When being on the Divina among Americans, it's a total difference experience. They behave differently, are loud, too, are used to different behaviours, have a different humor, are bolder, very open minded easy to get in contact with. A lot happens inbetween meals... and the only reason I could imagine that some Americans do not like the MSC is that THEY feel strange on an European ship, it's not the ship, not the people, not the different (have become a lot better during the last couple of years) service or food. If you have never been o foreign countries or Europe at all it must be quite intimidating to be among different languages, served real and differnt food, probably more but smaller portions, stronger coffee etc. etc. If the food tastes good or bad is a very personal thing but the food is not bad on the MSC but it's rather real food and very Italian, too, not the sweet fast food thing, many people like.

When it comes to the ship itselv, I would say it's beautiful if you like that sort of elegance, it does not look cheap, for many people it's even motivating to dress up at night in order to match the surrounding and Italians love to dress up. so the cruises are different in the US, you can relax and have a very good time there. and if you are not narrowminded but interested in meeting, seeing, tasting different cultures without have to fly into Rome, that this is the place to be. Also for your kids it's a good experience, that the world does not end at the borders of the US and that it widens the horizon. Olive Garden does not serve Italian food, that's the prob ;) My husband always says no food is copied so badly than the Italian food, so very many grow up with what they think is Italian food you could never get to eat in Italy.

I think MSC offers a lot for less money. After all, they have very modern ships, I think the most modern on all oceans as they started late. They are trying hard to get into the US market and as long as they do (lower prices) I would make use of it, it will not be like that for good. In Europe they are not as cheap... as they together with Costa are the market leader in their field. The reputation is different though.

I know I will not be popular for saying this and I have read few reviews but for me the Divina is easily the poorest MSC ship I have sailed.

Biggest factor - dining room staff and non existent management. Food was easily the poorest of all the ships I have sailed. Separate pasta and risotto courses no more.

Tip if you want genuine Kellogs cereals, order them via room service. Cheap own label brands served in MDR.

On my cruise, whole tables were moved to accommodate family parties boarding at Barcelona. They had only be sitting together for over 2 weeks.

Also JMO MSC can't manage large ships especially the dining rooms.

It is very sad that possibly my past MSC cruise was on Divina. The staff on the Sinfonia have them beat hands down and the entertainment team on Lirica very visible. I nicknamed the CD the invisible man.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

which MSC ships did you prefer?

I found the service better on Poesia, but in Europe they have people from Mauritius in the MDR as they need more languages. On the Divina in the Caribbean I have only met people from Indonesia, and their English was not as good, but I did not have to communicate as our meals are set (it's a special cruise once a year with special food, own chefs, crowd of 2.000)

what do you consider poor food?

and by all respect and no one can argue about taste, but when it comes to quality Kellogg's is crap.

We found the food on MSC to be very good but of course it's subjective, the entertainment is the best at sea, the ship is beautiful the waiters on our 5 Divina cruises have been very good and never had a language problem so I guess people complain no matter what so just go and enjoy your cruise and judge for yourself.

which MSC ships did you prefer?

I found the service better on Poesia, but in Europe they have people from Mauritius in the MDR as they need more languages. On the Divina in the Caribbean I have only met people from Indonesia, and their English was not as good, but I did not have to communicate as our meals are set (it's a special cruise once a year with special food, own chefs, crowd of 2.000)

what do you consider poor food?

and by all respect and no one can argue about taste, but when it comes to quality Kellogg's is crap.

Well the cereals served in MDR made Kellogg's world class :)

On my previous MSC cruises, I could have risotto every day - not on Divina. Give me simple pasta and risotto and I am a happy bunny.

My previous cruise on HAL served better Italian food - true - except for the Pizza. That was only because the Head Pizza Chef from Lirica had been transferred to the Divina. Australians I met say P&O serve better food. The desserts were truly awful - I ate one the whole trip.

Certainly the language skills of the staff in MDR were limited. The MDR supervisors were all over the place - no-one in control.

I was chatting to an Austrian who says Americanised Divina is not the genuine MSC product.

The Italians should stick to what they are good at - JMO.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

I have been on the Divina three times and will be sailing again next February. (always caribbean, mostly Americans on board). I have been on the Poesia last week (80% Italians, the rest French and Germans, Spanish and Dutch, some Scandinavians and British, few Americans... and it was a totally different experience I must admit although the organization on the ship is the same, even the ship is similar although the Divina is bigger, ligther, has more elegance, glamor and covered pool, too. Italians on an Italian ship feels like being on a big Italian family reunion. La Dolce Vita at its best. Although there are many kids on board you never have the feeling you have to kill every second one (they are not half as spoiled though), and even or because ou do not understand them you never feel annoyed of their talking because they do not show off, are just among themselves... hard to explain. There is just one big noise (people) that you learn to ignore and you will be fine. So I can imagine that Americans - at least in Europe - might feel somewhat second classed. Usually it's them who are the loudest (because of their language not their temperament) but suddenly they are overwhelmed and sometimes even overseen. But that can be good, too. I am Germany, my husband Italian and I always sympathize with the Americans cause I feel a bit strange, too among all those Dolce Vita chitchat...

When being on the Divina among Americans, it's a total difference experience. They behave differently, are loud, too, are used to different behaviours, have a different humor, are bolder, very open minded easy to get in contact with. A lot happens inbetween meals... and the only reason I could imagine that some Americans do not like the MSC is that THEY feel strange on an European ship, it's not the ship, not the people, not the different (have become a lot better during the last couple of years) service or food. If you have never been o foreign countries or Europe at all it must be quite intimidating to be among different languages, served real and differnt food, probably more but smaller portions, stronger coffee etc. etc. If the food tastes good or bad is a very personal thing but the food is not bad on the MSC but it's rather real food and very Italian, too, not the sweet fast food thing, many people like.

When it comes to the ship itselv, I would say it's beautiful if you like that sort of elegance, it does not look cheap, for many people it's even motivating to dress up at night in order to match the surrounding and Italians love to dress up. so the cruises are different in the US, you can relax and have a very good time there. and if you are not narrowminded but interested in meeting, seeing, tasting different cultures without have to fly into Rome, that this is the place to be. Also for your kids it's a good experience, that the world does not end at the borders of the US and that it widens the horizon. Olive Garden does not serve Italian food, that's the prob ;) My husband always says no food is copied so badly than the Italian food, so very many grow up with what they think is Italian food you could never get to eat in Italy.

I think MSC offers a lot for less money. After all, they have very modern ships, I think the most modern on all oceans as they started late. They are trying hard to get into the US market and as long as they do (lower prices) I would make use of it, it will not be like that for good. In Europe they are not as cheap... as they together with Costa are the market leader in their field. The reputation is different though.

I agree with with this view and the way you have explained up it.

My experience I was very similar. I'd sailed MSC a few times in Europe and a repo to the Caribbean all on the at the time new Opera. I then booked an 11 night round trip out of Port Everglades. What a complete shock that was. It was the same ship, some of the crew the same, shows the same, food pretty much the same but it absolutely felt like night and day to the onboard feel I was used to and loved. Sure MSC had been a few adjustments (not as many as they do now) jugs of water on the table and dinner a lot earlier , steam room and sauna free but they were too small to account for now different it felt. I eventually worked out that it was not so much MSC or what they were doing but the completely different passenger demographic and cultural behaviour. There were far fewer younger people or families, far more Americans (naturally) fewer children, never seen so many mobility scooter in one space before and oh the constant complaints and whinging about manners (or lack thereof). It appeared to me and from speaking to both European and Us passengers that neither was particularly happy. The Europeans missed the usual onboard vibe that you described as the Dolce Vita and the Americans (predominantly Floridian retirees) hated the foreignness of it all. Some didn't even know it wasn't American, they'd just assumed it was. I was seated with 2 retirees, one of the retired Floridians and she was miserable, barely said a word and clearly wanted to be anywhere else. The other a slightly younger retiree from Phoenix who'd never travelled outside of the US was the opposite. It was all weird and strange to him too but he was game for giving it all a go and learning about how people from other countries lived. Dinner with him was very entertaining. He was not typical though.

Here's my 2 cents.

My first cruise was on the then new Preziosa, back in Nov 2013. I'd never cruised before and hadn't particularly wanted to either. I found the idea of visiting different countries/cities for such a short period of quite off putting and felt i wouldn't be happy leaving without seeing much.

How wrong was I! The ship was absolutely stunning (same class as the Divina). Our balcony room was way more than id expected, Pool areas were fantastic and didn't feel crowded. Entertainment on the whole was good. and the food was just superb. Annie is correct that the pizza is amazing. Italians know how to do Pizza.

Anyhow on our first visit to the buffet restaurant (embarkations day) we got speaking to a group of Canadians. They mentioned that they were not happy with the food. They were disgusted that they didn't find a burger in the MDR. God only knows why you would want a burger in MDR. But each to their own.

Anyhow to cut it short.... we enjoyed it so much that we booked to travel on the Lirica in Jan 2014. Yes, 3 months later! It was just as good, although perhaps the ship not quite so wow but then its a lot older. So to be expected.

Our last cruise in Jan of this year was with RCC. Aboard the Allure of the seas (same class as the oasis). I was so looking forward to this ship after reading and seeing videos of size and amenities. Yet i came away from that feeling slightly let down.

Yes you cannot argue with its size. Truely awesome. But some of the public spaces and decor looks like it was designed and furnished in the early 1990s. The pool area was bland. White was everywhere. This for me was a huge let down. Cruising to me is glitz and glamour. Allure didn't really have any of this. Park central excepted! This was a lovely place.

The shows that we got to see were good however. But everything had to be pre booked. The comedy night was booked the entire cruise and this was booked prior to embarkation. my personal view is that if things need booking then booking for the next night show should be in place. Not booking 6 months prior to the cruise. I don't wish to have my holiday so regimentally planned. (personal choice maybe )

Food in the MDR was excellent but no different from MSC. Buffet restaurant was awful though. And the queuing was ridiculous. I'm sure the Buffet restaurant on Allure was no bigger if not smaller than Preziosa. If not then it felt it.

Service, again.... no different from MSC, Excellent in the MDR (Allure), Even though we were often given a sales pitch on the Specialty restaurants. And even tried to be sold some wine gadget that allows the wine to breathe. Did not like this at all! But waiters were superb. MSC staff were just as good. Very knowledgeable. Pool i cant really comment. I tend to venture to the bar myself rather than wait for drinks. I always like a little walk to stretch my legs.

All in all though Allure and RCC left a bad taste in my mouth. Yes i would consider cruising them again, but only if all other avenues have been explored. Which is why my next cruise in March will be on Divina. So so so excited about that!

Hope that helps.

stu

Edited by stuart2468

I agree with with this view and the way you have explained up it.

My experience I was very similar. I'd sailed MSC a few times in Europe and a repo to the Caribbean all on the at the time new Opera. I then booked an 11 night round trip out of Port Everglades. What a complete shock that was. It was the same ship, some of the crew the same, shows the same, food pretty much the same but it absolutely felt like night and day to the onboard feel I was used to and loved. Sure MSC had been a few adjustments (not as many as they do now) jugs of water on the table and dinner a lot earlier , steam room and sauna free but they were too small to account for now different it felt. I eventually worked out that it was not so much MSC or what they were doing but the completely different passenger demographic and cultural behaviour. There were far fewer younger people or families, far more Americans (naturally) fewer children, never seen so many mobility scooter in one space before and oh the constant complaints and whinging about manners (or lack thereof). It appeared to me and from speaking to both European and Us passengers that neither was particularly happy. The Europeans missed the usual onboard vibe that you described as the Dolce Vita and the Americans (predominantly Floridian retirees) hated the foreignness of it all. Some didn't even know it wasn't American, they'd just assumed it was. I was seated with 2 retirees, one of the retired Floridians and she was miserable, barely said a word and clearly wanted to be anywhere else. The other a slightly younger retiree from Phoenix who'd never travelled outside of the US was the opposite. It was all weird and strange to him too but he was game for giving it all a go and learning about how people from other countries lived. Dinner with him was very entertaining. He was not typical though.

I have cruised with Americans on American lines before and enjoyed it.

I can't quite put my finger what was missing from my Divina cruise but I would agree that large groups of Americans and Europeans were not happy. Neither were the Aussies.

Maybe because the Divina has been hybridised. The amount of hard selling was also very unusual.

I accept I could have been unlucky on this cruise but I would not waste any more of precious vacation dollars on her again. It left a bad taste in the mouth.

It also felt like a training ship.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Annie

We sailed the Divina 2 years ago, and absolutely loved her...see review below...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1964582&highlight=steelcruisin

If you are someone who is a go with the flow type, you will not be disappointed , if you are looking for caviar on a Walmart budget....your gonna get Walmart caviar.... MSC puts out a great, if somewhat different, product that you need to have a "go with the flow" attitude to appreciate. We will be sailing on MSC again this Thanksgiving , and can't wait to enjoy the Divina again!

Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful. Although I have not decided yet, but I think I'm not bothered by the negative reviews anymore after reading your comments. I do not mind if the vibe or food is not American, and we like Italian food! Any experience with a smaller toddler(3yo)?

Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful. Although I have not decided yet, but I think I'm not bothered by the negative reviews anymore after reading your comments. I do not mind if the vibe or food is not American, and we like Italian food! Any experience with a smaller toddler(3yo)?

Here's one thread regarding the kids clubs onboard MSC ships,,,searching this board will definitely give you more results:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2200302&highlight=msc+divina+kids+clubs

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2234901

Edited by Mikesa1721

The Divina was our 5th cruise, all the others on American cruise lines. Was ii perfect? No. Was it fabulous? Yes. We loved the ship, the food, the entertainment, the people ,the fun! The small things that were not perfect were minor and did not spoil our trip. I have never had a perfect cruise on any cruise line and some were not nearly as good as the Divina. But we just accept it as the way things go and still enjoy ourselves . And we feel th MSC Divina cruise was our best ever especially considering the price we paid! Will definitely cruise MSC again. Go with the flow and enjoy the real Italian food and you will,have a great time.

... And we feel th MSC Divina cruise was our best ever especially considering the price we paid!

While it isn´t always true, when it comes to cruise ships price is a reliable guide. Low price gets you low quality so I would suggest you try to balance price against the measure of quality offered.

I have lived in So Am most of the last 15 years and travelled extensively. I have been on 2 horrible MSC cruises and about 80 cruises on almost all lines over the last 25 years. I think my 2 MSC cruises were the worst of all I have been on, but you should not rely on ny one person´s opinion. To get a good insight into how others have rated the Divina check out the member reviews links on this site. Explore the reviews and especially the mathematical grades each has received calculated by averaging out many (577) Divina reviews. Look at the all time cruisers choice poll results for Divina and MSC.

Do not buy just because price is low. You might get a much better value by paying a little more.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Overall&sort=Highest

Am considering Divina in early December. Along the way I have heard mostly negative things about MSC, but I guess curiosity to see for myself has me interested.

Thanks for all your posts, both great and not so great reviews.

The other contenders for my late Nov/early Dec time-frame are Carnival Breeze, Carnival Sunshine, Regal Princess, NCL Getaway and Allure of the Seas.

Any opinions on those ships/lines vs MSC Divina?

We're planning for a vacation and so far this 7 night Caribbean cruise in Nov is one of the vacation ideas. It's within our budget and the cheapest Caribbean cruise I could find. We only been on one cruise prior and it was on the Oasis of the seas and we went on the western route. My wife and I LOVED it! Service was great, entertainment was awesome, food was phenomenal, and we loved how big the ship was. Upon doing some research on this ship, the reviews were kinda mixed, most of the bad reviews were about bad food and bad service. What are your thoughts? We'll be traveling with a 3 year old as well. So we can't really afford going on the Oasis again as it's double the price compare to this one. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

We cruised back-to back on Divina and it was like 2 different ships on 2 different cruise lines ))) We had bad waiter on first part of our cruise and amazing one on second part of our cruise. Food never been bad and we are foodies :o . no cruise line can come even close to MSC with entertainment and shows (well maybe Costa). Just book your cruise and enjoy life, its too short to be worried if you can eat risotto or not every night and book your vacation based on how much food you can eat .

Am considering Divina in early December. Along the way I have heard mostly negative things about MSC, but I guess curiosity to see for myself has me interested.

Thanks for all your posts, both great and not so great reviews.

The other contenders for my late Nov/early Dec time-frame are Carnival Breeze, Carnival Sunshine, Regal Princess, NCL Getaway and Allure of the Seas.

Any opinions on those ships/lines vs MSC Divina?

I only cruised once on NCL and I will not do it again) Carnival was just Ok cruise, not too clean ship and too much drunk people for my taste .I would cruise Carnival again if they have good deal and good ports. I am not a big fan of huge ships so Divina is not my favorite ship but I booked Fantasia for my next cruise and I can't wait for it.:p I don't judge cruise by dish in DR or waiter, it's all atmosphere that important to me and MSc know how to deliver it.