Churchill Cigar Lounge - QM2

Tothesunset

Could cigarette smokers simply take up cigars during the short time they are seated in Churchills? :D

(writes an ex-pipe smoker (stopped many years ago) and very, very occasional cigar smoker)

(ducks down... :eek: )

:)

I love that you used to smoke a pipe!! I'm a cigarette [and occasional cigar] smoker but of the three, pipes have the most pleasant smell. And there is something undoubtedly old-world and charming about pipe smokers.

An excellent question. We are Silversea regulars and one of its attractions is that the Humidor is for use by any smoker regardless of the way their vice of choice is packaged. Is it anything to do with the perception of cigars as an elegant indulgence whereas cigarettes are cheap and nasty? I dunno, but it's a very odd demarcation.

Princess also allows all smokers to smoke in their smoking lounges [strangely enough also called Churchill's!]. It was always a lively and happening place...very social.

Again, I wasn't particularly bothered by Cunard's stance UNTIL they eliminated just about all other smoking areas on board QM2 post-remastering. As you said, it may well be about "image", although I believe...albeit only from pictures and not from experience...that the smoking rooms of liners past allowed cigars, pipes AND cigarettes, however it didn't really matter because one could smoke in most lounges and restaurants in those days anyway. Also, in the US [and from what I've noticed on several trips to England], cigarettes are FAR from cheap...in fact, one can buy cigars at gasoline stations here that are far cheaper than most cigarettes [and they smell MUCH worse haha].

Edited by Bostonjetset

smokers tend to be very sociable....

I have seen this stated several times on smoking threads. Smokers are no more sociable than any other group of people. It is only that they are driven into small enclaves and that they have a common purpose and, dare I say it, a common grievance and thus appear more sociable than other groups. If smoking was still universally acceptable this 'sociability' would not be apparent.

B.T.W. as an ex smoker of everything from cigarettes, cigars, pipe and, in my youth tealeaves, I have known many morose smokers in my time. As for the occasional rule breakers in Churchills there will ALWAYS be those who don't actually break the rules because they simply believe that the rules do not apply to THEM. Exactly the same as the dress code.

MM

The space is quite small, and cigarette smokers are a penny a dozen - so the cigar smokers would never get a look-in if it was opened up to all comers. When you walk in there is that delightful smell of cigar smoke, brandy, and leather - it's a special place, and the conversations I had in there were not to be found anywhere else onboard.

I have no problem with a cigarettes only lounge, I would happily honor its rules and avoid it like the plague.

I have seen this stated several times on smoking threads. Smokers are no more sociable than any other group of people. It is only that they are driven into small enclaves and that they have a common purpose and, dare I say it, a common grievance and thus appear more sociable than other groups. If smoking was still universally acceptable this 'sociability' would not be apparent.

B.T.W. as an ex smoker of everything from cigarettes, cigars, pipe and, in my youth tealeaves, I have known many morose smokers in my time. As for the occasional rule breakers in Churchills there will ALWAYS be those who don't actually break the rules because they simply believe that the rules do not apply to THEM. Exactly the same as the dress code.

MM

With all due respect........I did mention that this was my personal experience..

On the linked menu there were 3 sets of number for each cigar.

First, I presume is length. Last obviously price.

Can someone please explain what the other number means?

Ring size. The higher the number the fatter the cigar.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife is very sensitive to cigar smoke. Since Churchill's is entered through the Commodore Club is there an issue with cigar smoke wafting into the bar?

No. The lounge has doors, its own ventilation system, and the bar is some distance from the lounge entrance. And there's always the Chart Room if that's not enough isolation.