Upgrade Question

Please don't jump on me, I am new to cruising and will be new to Regent come January 2019, but I was wondering about upgrades within the suites.

My TA said to leave the eligible for upgrade box on, and I was wondering, if you were upgraded, did you then get all the benefits of the upgraded tier?

Not expecting an upgrade, but just curious of how it works and are up grades the norm on Regent.

Thanks Sans

Hi Sans,

I am no expert here with this topic. We have never had an upgrade, but like you said we didn't expect one.

I know if you have a gauranteed suite you can get an upgrade to the next level with no incurred cost. This would likely be quite late on so you would possibly not get the business flights if that was something included in that level of suite.

I think you would get the included pre cruise hotel the night before.

You would get the butler service if that's included in that category, and if it's concierge level all the things listed in that level.

Sorry that's all I understand re upgrade.

You will get more detailed info from other posters am sure.

Have a good cruise, Jean.

My TA said to leave the eligible for upgrade box on, and I was wondering, if you were upgraded, did you then get all the benefits of the upgraded tier?

Not expecting an upgrade, but just curious of how it works and are up grades the norm on Regent.

Thanks Sans

Just wondering where was the 'upgrade box' you mention? I have never seen one on our TA's website or Regent's?

As others have said I have never heard of a UK based Regent customer getting an upgrade (other than on a 'guarantee' booking) nor even an 'upsell' offer.

Edited by rarin2go
punctuation error

We have done upsells several times (as opposed to "upgrades" which, as described above is for passengers who booked a "guarantee" suite).

The way the upsells work (in the U.S.) is that Regent notifies your TA of upsell opportunities. The TA contacts you and you would need to make a quick decision because these usually sell out quickly. Sometimes the upsell offer is a suite that is in an undesirable area so it is a good idea to either know the deck plan or have it available. The first time we took advantage of an upsell we took a PH suite under the pool (never again).

In any case, you do not get the benefits of the suite you upgrade to (other than obvious things - you would get a butler if you were in a PH suite but would not get the pre-cruise hotel night).

Hope that this helps.

Since the OP is in the UK, the US system of upsells is irrelevant.

As previously stated, upsells are seldom, if ever, offered in the U.K.

It may be irrelevant based on your experience. However, even you used the term "seldom". Hopefully the information I posted will be helpful not only to the TS but to other reading this thread.

Yes, it is helpful to know how it all works. I have met people on the cruises we have sailed from the UK who have been upgraded....usually via their TA

We have received both upgrades and upsells. The upgrades we received are from guarantee cabins whereas upsells appear as mentioned above and you need to move very quickly on those.

Thank you for your replies, all were informative.

We have booked and have our cabin number, so not a guarantee cabin and the booking was done over the phone. and the upgrade/no upgrade box was just a question we were asked.

Yes we are in the UK and no grade of cabin offered business flights, but we have asked for a business class price, but have been told that they will contact us 11 months before the flight and tell us the prices. TBH, not overly fussed about upgrading on the outbound flight to LA, but coming home, they are a must.

As we still have twenty and a half months to wait, I'm sure I will be back with lots more 'odd' questions :)

Have twice been upgraded on guarantee bookings & once offered an upsell. We are in the UK.

Thank you for your answer, and now the dilemma, stick with what we have and say n upgrade, as our suite seems to be in a favourable position, or run the risk of getting upgraded to a less desirable position.

I don't believe that you posted what ship you will be sailing on. This matters for a couple of reasons: 1) The Navigator and Voyager have aft vibration issues and an upgrade to one of those suites would not be desirable for some people; 2) If you are booked on the Explorer, it will likely be a fully booked cruise with few upgrades/upsells available. Just wanted to give you more to think about:D

I was just getting ready to say what Travelcat did in her last post. If on Navigator or Voyager, an upgrade may not really be an upgrade if it puts you in the back of the ship where there is vibration. So getting a higher grade of cabin may not always be a good thing. I would not take an upgrade without knowing the cabin number I was being upgraded to, so I could look at the deckplan and determine if I really wanted it. Also would not take an upgrade on Mariner if it meant going from a shower to a tub/shower combo.