Bermuda Triangle

Mitch2785

Has anyone taken the Triangle excursion?

We did the bermuda triangle glassbottom boat nighttime excursion last week (through royal caribbean, though i think the tickets said it was booked through fantasea cruises). we thought it was excellent. honestly, i was pleasantly surprised - DH and i had done a glassbottom boat tour many years ago in the bahamas and it was horrible so we weren't expecting much, and only signed up for this because my mom was with us and wanted to do it. well, now i'm totally glad she made us go - it was a blast.

our tour was 1.5 hours. it took about half an hour to get to the reef and wrecks where they turn the lights on under the boat. during that ride out to the reef, they had a guide tell us a little about bermuda and the triangle, and then answer any bermuda-related questions we had. the guide on this trip was a 5th-generation bermudan and very knowledgeable, as well as funny. we were on the top deck for that portion so we could watch the island as we sailed away and then we could see the stars - it was dark enough after about 15 min that we could see the milky way, and some early perseid meteors.

once we got to the reef we went below to look through the glass bottom, and then stayed below as we travelled for 2 minutes to a wreck. another guide talked all about the sea life on the reef and then about the wreck we were seeing. that portion took about half an hour, and then another half hour back to port. on the half hour back there was no guide narration, but you could still ask questions, and they also gave out free rum swizzles and sodas.

a couple of random points -

there are bathrooms on the boat. :)

my mom has mobility issues and walks with a cane, and they were very, very accommodating and helpful.

both my mom and i have been known to get seasick on smaller boats like that, but did not on this trip. the ride was very smooth.

we did tip the guides at the end, but they certainly did not have their hands out or anything.

because the sea temperature in bermuda gets much colder than in the caribbean, the reefs and fish are not as colorful as further south. still very cool to see, though.

if you have any specific questions, just let me know. i'd highly recommend this tour, if you couldn't tell. :D

Fantasea doesn't seem to list this excursion on their website, so I'm not sure who offers it nowadays. I'm actually planning to do this again if the weather cooperates when I go back to Bermuda in October. My plan is to see what the weather looks like for our arrival day, and then to book it once I'm onboard the NCL Dawn. I just don't want to get stuck doing it in the rain.

In any case, the review karmacats posted is accurate to what my experience was back in October 2012. They kept us amused with stories on our way out to the triangle, parked over some reefs and shipwrecks for viewing, and plied us with rum swizzles all the way back. The rum swizzles were free back when I took it before, but the excursion description now specifically says they offer a cash bar on the return trip, so I'm not sure how that works. Either way I thought it was worth the $50.

I can't seem to find any way to book this excursion online other than the RCL website (and pay a $10 markup). Does anybody know if they have an online presence?

Island Tour Centre aggregates tours from the Dockyard from many tour operators. I don't know if they have a mark up as I don't know what RCL charges.

https://www.islandtourcentre.com

If you drill down Tours and Activities on the top bar, under Sunset and Evening Tours, the Twilight Triangle tour is there.

Edited by Charles4515

Island Tour Centre aggregates tours from the Dockyard from many tour operators. I don't know if they have a mark up as I don't know what RCL charges.

https://www.islandtourcentre.com

If you drill down Tours and Activities on the top bar, under Sunset and Evening Tours, the Twilight Triangle tour is there.

Thanks! I found it.

RCL seems to have a $9.95 markup, and the website you referred me to charges a "$5 Non-Refundable Admin Fee". So I guess six of one, half-dozen of the other, right? ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Two questions:

Is it easy to see things at night, or would the view be better during daylight?

Also, is there plenty of room for all passengers to get a good view? I don't want to be jockeying for position.

thanks.