Help Please!!! Questions Transpacific LA To Sydney

We're thinking about a transpacific cruise (LA, Honolulu, Kauai,Tahiti, Moorea, Pago Pago, Auckland, Tauranga, Akaroa, Dunedin, cruising Fiordland Natl Pk, Sydney) departing late September. Usually I research first, then book, but I need to reverse the process this time to get a choice cabin, thus apologies for questions in advance as I am clueless about traveling this part of the world.!

Would it be better to be starboard or port side?

Is weather better sailing east to west in October rather than west to east in April?

Any comments on the New Zealand itinerary?

Many thanks.

Les

I've not done this as a cruise, but I have visited a number of the places on your itinerary (US born now living in Australia) so I might be able to offer a little bit of help!

Starboard/Port - if you're looking at a large ship that doesn't fit under the harbour bridge, you'd be based at the OPT in Sydney. Port side gives you a lovely view of the Opera House. Unsure of other ports, though if you're visiting Dunedin prior Fiordland Nat'l park then Starboard may give you better views from your cabin through that area.

The south Island is beautiful - Dunedin was my favourite place when I visited NZ. I've not spent much time in Aukland but that is on my list of places I'd love to visit properly! Fiordland national park is stunning. It can be quite chilly there, even in the summer, so be prepared for that.

re: April vs October, I wouldn't expect a huge difference. If you enjoy getting into the ocean on shore days, October seas in Australia/New Zealand are significantly colder than April. Nov-April is Cyclone season, so while it's never especially likely that you'd be disrupted due to weather, it's more likely in April than it is in October.

Good luck, sounds like an AMAZING cruise!

The NZ port itinerary would be considered only average; as you are sailing Tauranga - Akaroa.

This is understandable however as this is a positioning trip and so not doing a fuller NZ itinerary.

Some dedicated NZ cruises would include Napier / Wellington / Picton between those two ports.

Oct / Apr; being at either extreme of the season you will be in for cooler / cold / changeable / sea swell weather either way.

Port / Stbd. As the general course is either SW or NE, personally I choose depending on wether I want morning sun or afternoon sun.

I don't think it would make any difference whether you were on the port or starboard side. In some areas, one side might be better, than in another area, the other side could be better.

On the east to west itinerary, presumably you would be in NZ in November, while on the west-east, you would be in NZ in April. Both will be cool to cold. In the Oct-Nov itinerary there would be snow on the slopes around Milford Sound, but in the April one (end of summer) there wouldn't.

Maybe some Kiwis will add their ideas on whether spring or autumn will likely have better weather.

I did a similar san francisco to sydney cruise 2 years ago. I deliberately chose the port side so as to avoid the direct afternoon sun (with the assumption a lot of my trip was heading south, or south-west.) We like sitting out on the balcony in the late afternoon.

You do get some nice coastal views around NZ, especially around East Cape, so for that itinerary starboard is best. If going Fiordland to Auckland then port is best.

Autumn is usually better around NZ than spring (unless a cyclone decides to head that way like it did this year).

We were in Milford Sound at the end of February and there was still snow on the mountains.