Royal Princess: self-guided art tour?

tennisobo

I remember someone posting that there is info available on the ship for a self-guided tour of the art around the Royal Princess. Am I recalling that correctly? If so, have you done it? Where do I pick up the info?

Thanks!

This is what the Princess web site says:

Art and Architecture Tour Takes Passengers Behind the Scenes of Royal Princess Art Collection

New Self-Guided Mobile Tour Highlights Key Works with Artist Bios and Videos

To help Royal Princess passengers appreciate just some of the more than 4,000 works of art installed throughout the ship, Princess Cruises created a new self-guided Art and Architecture Tour that passengers can use with their own smart phones or tablets.

This comprehensive resource lets passengers explore the ship’s extensive art collection with a 32-stop tour that they can follow throughout the ship or explore at their leisure as they encounter each piece. Each work on the tour is identified with a QR code that passengers can scan to access information about the artist and the artwork, plus a short video explaining more about the artist and the creation process.

In addition to the ship’s many dramatic art pieces, the tour also highlights special architectural elements around the vessel, including the SeaWalk, Princess Theater and Movies Under the Stars.

Just a few of the select art works featured on the tour include:

Chef’s Table Lumiere – A 54-petal illuminated sculpture of Murano glass forms the centerpiece of the dramatic Chef’s Table Lumiere, created by noted Murano glass master Simone Cenedese.

Sculpture Made from Shipyard Scrap Metal – A peacock sculpture outside the Allegro Dining Room was created by Croatian artist Andrija Milovan in the Fincantieri shipyard entirely from scrap metal left over from Royal Princess’ construction.

Crooners Piano Painted by Michael Godard – Best-selling artist Michael Godard has added musical incarnations of his trademark olives and martini glasses to a unique piano in Crooners martini bar.

Memories at Sea Winner – The winning photo from Princess’ Royal Princess Memories at Sea photo contest is displayed in the Piazza. The other 999 finalist photos are also installed throughout the ship.

Ocean Waves at SeaView Bar – A pair of original glass works sculpted by artist David Wight are displayed on specially designed pedestals. Inspired by the rolling ocean, they feature vibrant cobalt blue and rich turquoise to represent the different aspects of the sea.

Wyland Mural – Famed marine artist Wyland created a dramatic, custom piece of sea-inspired art especially for Royal Princess. Featuring sea life from the ship’s destinations in the Mediterranean and Caribbean, the piece is featured in an outdoor installation at the Retreat Pool with another variation displayed indoors in deck’s stairwell.

In addition to accessing the Royal Princess Art and Architecture Tour via QR code, passengers can find links to the tour stops by using the ship’s Princess@Sea mobile intranet. The ship’s art director will also guide a live tour at least once per cruise, and passengers can pick up a printed copy of the self-guided tour route in the art gallery.

The ship’s art gallery also features interactive touch-screens that offer additional artist information for art-loving passengers.

I picked up the guide in the Art Gallery and started on Deck 5. By going deck-by-deck, I found all of the art -- pictures, paintings, sculptures, etc., and photographed them all. Some of the most spectacular are on Deck 17 in the Sanctuary and elevator area. It took me a couple of days. I can only urge you to do this by yourself. I think you will appreciate it more that way. Do not be afraid to go into the "closed" dining rooms.

Have fun and enjoy!!

• 1 year later...
I picked up the guide in the Art Gallery and started on Deck 5. By going deck-by-deck, I found all of the art -- pictures, paintings, sculptures, etc., and photographed them all. Some of the most spectacular are on Deck 17 in the Sanctuary and elevator area. It took me a couple of days. I can only urge you to do this by yourself. I think you will appreciate it more that way. Do not be afraid to go into the "closed" dining rooms.

Have fun and enjoy!!

silverbird, you said you photographed all the art/pictures. Does that mean you took photos of all 1,000 photo contest pictures? That's a pretty big collection of photos you must have!

silverbird, you said you photographed all the art/pictures. Does that mean you took photos of all 1,000 photo contest pictures? That's a pretty big collection of photos you must have!

Yeah, and I didn't give you permission to take photos of my images either! Just kidding. Actually I do have two of my images on the Royal and considering there were 67,000 images entered by folks, I was very fortunate to have two chosen. When the Regal came out, they went back to the original pool and chose one more of my images to be on that ship. There are some really good images throughout the passenger areas and if you have a minute or many, take a stroll and bee amazed.

Yeah, and I didn't give you permission to take photos of my images either! Just kidding. Actually I do have two of my images on the Royal and considering there were 67,000 images entered by folks, I was very fortunate to have two chosen. When the Regal came out, they went back to the original pool and chose one more of my images to be on that ship. There are some really good images throughout the passenger areas and if you have a minute or many, take a stroll and bee amazed.

Wow! That's impressive. I'm always amazed at the beautiful photos from that contest. As probably the world's worst photographer, I salute you!

Congrats!! I have three picutures on board the Royal as well from that contest. I fulling plan on spending some time finding them when we cruise in January. I'll have to remember to do the art tour as well!

Wow. Someone is responding to my original post from over a year and a half ago!

And now I can't remember if I took time to do the tour or not. I do remember enjoying all the lovely photos on the passenger decks.

I really like the Royal and hope to cruise on her again when I will definitely make time for the art tour.

Wow. Someone is responding to my original post from over a year and a half ago!

And now I can't remember if I took time to do the tour or not. I do remember enjoying all the lovely photos on the passenger decks.

I really like the Royal and hope to cruise on her again when I will definitely make time for the art tour.

Time flies when we are having fun, eh?

I remember someone posting that there is info available on the ship for a self-guided tour of the art around the Royal Princess. Am I recalling that correctly? If so, have you done it? Where do I pick up the info?

The art tour was set up when Princess Fine Arts still ran the art auctions.

The current company that runs the art auctions really knows very little about it, but did manage to find a list of the ship's art when I asked at the art gallery.