Just off Eclipse

Freckles49

• 2 weeks later...

Great reviews, thanks for posting, picked up some tips from reading them. We're on the Eclipse on 14th August to Scandinavia & St Petersburg. We're doing the 2 day tour with SPB for St Petersburg & have also booked them for Berlin. One of our Roll Call members is organising taxis at Stockholm to take us to the Vasa Museum @ costing $15 per couple sharing. I must look up the website for the museum, but if anyone visited did you have to pre book a time slot.

Thanks

Mary

Hi. We visited the Vasa Museum last year and didn't book in advance. We simply turned up and had to queue but it didn't take too long. The museum itself was incredibly busy but it was school holiday time so really to be expected. It is a wonderful museum. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

We got the local bus to Vasa from the end of the quay. Was really easy. You just get off when the buss turns right into the seafront then cross the road. However note that we heard the busses had long queues later in the morning but we were first off the ship. We queued for half an hour at the Museum as we were early. A superb place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Freckles 49

We are at the moment deciding between Oceania Riviera and Eclipse. Balcony cabins. If you would be so good could you tell me about the stability on Riviera as it is a much smaller ship and the entertainment we like some but what I have seen in reviews seems very highbrow. Also! fellow passengers, don't want to feel out of my depth but are they very posh. dress code concerns me:eek:

Thank you so much.

Azamara is a much smaller ship, almost a quarter the size and so the ship can get very close into ports. Shuttles, if needed have always been free. Not so on Celebrity.

Hi Freckles

We were on the Eclipse immediately after you doing the same itinerary.

What I would say is that the shuttles on Azamara are included in the cost of the cruise rather than 'free'. :)

Azamara are more costly than Celebrity so should include more. Nothing is ever free on a cruise. :)

Hi Freckles 49

We are at the moment deciding between Oceania Riviera and Eclipse. Balcony cabins. If you would be so good could you tell me about the stability on Riviera as it is a much smaller ship and the entertainment we like some but what I have seen in reviews seems very highbrow. Also! fellow passengers, don't want to feel out of my depth but are they very posh. dress code concerns me:eek:

Thank you so much.

We love the Eclipse but my posh brother loves Oceania!

IMHO smaller ships do feel the ocean more, but I am sure there will be those on here who disagree.;)

No matter who you are, you will not feel uncomfortable on the Eclipse. However, again my opinion is that the entertainment is on the conservative side.

We love the balconies on the 'hump' on the slanted sides - they are 1A. Very large balconies although the cabins are standard size. The bathrooms are very nice also, though storage has suffered a bit.

The old R class ships used by Azamara and the original Oceania ships do have quite small cabins compared with Eclipse, as well as a rather limited range of bars and entertainment venues, and although they have been tarted up by their new owners they are certainly not worth the premium they charge IMO.

But I now consider the ship to be the main component of my holiday and therefore look for it to have the newer facilities that even major face-lifts cannot bestow on an older vessel.

Hi Freckles 49

Thank you so much.

Our Oceania sailings were on Insignia, around 600 passengers and Marina, around 1200 passengers. I think Riviera is of a similar size to Marina.

Neither my husband or I suffer from motion sickness but rough seas can happen on any sailing. We had very rough seas one December in the Carribean on Azamara another rough sea in Cinque Terra on Insignia.

We book a balcony cabin, often last minute, sometimes guaranteed but thankfully the position of the cabin has never been a problem for us.

The advice Ive read from others is to book mid ship and lower down if youre a bit queasy.

Re shows. Definitely not highbrow. Just your usual run of the mill cruise shows.

My husband doesnt like them so our evening meal tends to be our entertainment!

The restaurants on Oceania Marina were all really lovely, no extra charge for the speciality.

Dress code was not formal. We wore exactly what we would wear to a nice restaurant.

Hope that helps.

Jen

Thanks Jen

Still undecided between the larger Eclipse and Riviera. Not much difference in price Eclipse just slightly cheaper but a longer cruise. Riviera does look lovely and this cruise docks in St Barts where I really would like to see.

Thanks again for your help.

Margaret

Thanks Jen

Still undecided between the larger Eclipse and Riviera. Not much difference in price Eclipse just slightly cheaper but a longer cruise. Riviera does look lovely and this cruise docks in St Barts where I really would like to see.

Margaret

Im sure youll have a lovely time!

Enjoy your cruise!

Jen

Thanks Jen

Margaret

We all look for different things when we cruise but faced with your choices I would definitely plump for Riviera.

Eclipse is a very nice ship, Riviera is beautiful. The speciality retaurants on Eclipse are starting to charge silly prices whereas they are free on Riviera and you get to visit exquisite St Barts. Just my opinion :)

We sailed on the Riveria,but it was in the Caribbean, it is a beautiful ship and we loved it. As we are from small towns in Michigan we would not qualify as "hi brow" more on the Jack Pine Savage rating. The Riveria did NOT seem too fancy for us,but very nice and enjoyable.