Safe Sizes

Thepominlaw

Yes, it will fit, but not loosely. We were in a suite on Dawn in August, our two Galaxy Tab S fit, but with our important paperwork and a little jewelry, the safe filled fast. The safe was on the smaller side...Dawn is an older ship, Emerald is newer, may have larger safes. Ours was not the size depicted in the picture. It was not as tall, for sure.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Simple one this will an iPad (Air 2) fit into the safe on the dawn princess?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When we were on the Sapphire Princess in 2012, we had an Owners Suite. That was our first experience with a smaller safe. It was very small and my iPad would not fit inside of the safe.

Then on the Caribbean Princess in D632 mini suite, the safe was again small. I took my iPad out of the case that I carry it in and was able to get it to fit inside the safe by holding it diagonally. I think that Princess has probably changed the sizes of the safes as they need to be replaced. On one cruise last year, our safe kept giving us a battery error message. The ship's technician came in on each occasion and changed the battery, but we were having problems with the safe.

If it doesn't happen to fit how do you secure your personal items on a cruise? I cannot imagine someone that brings a laptop with them carries it round all day only reason I went for the iPad was it was less bulky

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Thepominlaw

If it doesn't happen to fit how do you secure your personal items on a cruise? I cannot imagine someone that brings a laptop with them carries it round all day only reason I went for the iPad was it was less bulky

Don't know, never have brought a laptop on a cruise. When I have taken a laptop on trips, it has always been with a car, or rental car, and locked it in the car when not in room or using the laptop for business.

On a cruise, we typically lock our tablets, wallets, cell phones and prescription meds in the in room safe, along with important documents, passports, etc. That stuff can cause the safes to be pretty full. On Dawn, the safe was full.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We use the safe for cash, jewelry, and our passports, wallets. When I have taken my laptop, I've left it in the room in my laptop bag, and it's been safe. iPads and iPhones, have not been kept in the safe either. They are just lying around the room, I try to get the kids to at least plug them in to charge before they leave the room, but I never worried about them getting stolen by the room steward.

My laptop, ipad, camera etc sit on the desk or shelf near the TV/desk.

We use the safe for cash, jewelry, and our passports, wallets. When I have taken my laptop, I've left it in the room in my laptop bag, and it's been safe. iPads and iPhones, have not been kept in the safe either. They are just lying around the room, I try to get the kids to at least plug them in to charge before they leave the room, but I never worried about them getting stolen by the room steward.

We do the same thing, ie: passports, wallets, wife's jewelry, cash all in the safe. Laptop or tablet(s) stay in bag. Smartphone gets carried around (always nice to have a camera available when you don't have your "real" camera with you and to be able to check intranet or Internet if you want to).

We just don't leave most things laying around openly in the cabin. Not worried about ship's personnel, especially the cabin steward, but, have read about tech items possibly pilfered by someone walking by while the cabin door was open. Unlikely to happen, but, why take the chance?

Edited by ar1950

I'll either leave the laptop sitting on the desk, or in the bag. While I know the room isn't total secure when the steward is in cleaning, I feel fairly comfortable with that. I've also been known to leave tablets charging on the desk. Heck, I seem to have so many pieces of electronics that I'd never be able to fit everything in the safe anyways, so that's for important things like the wallets and passports.

(Typically, I travel with a roller bag that's designed for cameras/electronics. It's just simply not all going to fit in the safe. I am more careful with the stuff in hotel rooms.)

Ironically, I go on cruises to escape the day to day exposure to electronics :).