Trouble in Tunis - March 18 2015

BlueEyesMI

I was really looking forward to visiting the Bardo... but can't see myself doing it now. We're scheduled to be there in July on the Emerald Princess, I'm wondering if Princess will schedule another port now?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/03/18/393786290/gunmen-storm-tunisian-museum-in-deadly-attack

The attack on the famed National Bardo Museum in Tunis was the first on a tourist site in years in Tunisia.

Our Tunisia porting, from the NCL Jade, was cancelled last April because of the troubles. It was changed to Palma Majorca, Spain.

Some of the Italians at the museum were believed to have been passengers aboard the Costa Fascinosa,

making a seven-day trip of the western Mediterranean that had docked in Tunis.

Edited by $hip$hape

The attack on the famed National Bardo Museum in Tunis was the first on a tourist site in years in Tunisia.

Our Tunisia porting, from the NCL Jade, was cancelled a few years ago because of the troubles.

Some of the Italians at the museum were believed to have been passengers aboard the Costa Fascinosa, making a seven-day trip of the western Mediterranean that had docked in Tunis.

We were scheduled to visit Tunisia on our NCL Jade Cruise in March of 2014......a couple of weeks before the cruise there was incident in which the Government would now allow passengers off the ship who were carrying Israeli passports. NCL to their credit cancelled our stop there and all other future NCL Cruises to Tunisia.

We were scheduled to visit Tunisia on our NCL Jade Cruise in March of 2014...

...a couple of weeks before the cruise there was incident

in which the Government would not allow passengers off the ship who were carrying Israeli passports.

NCL to their credit cancelled our stop there and all other future NCL Cruises to Tunisia.

Well done NCL!

No doubt the entire Med. cruise industry

has already reconsidered stopping at Tunis for the next few yrs.

I was really looking forward to visiting the Bardo... but can't see myself doing it now. We're scheduled to be there in July on the Emerald Princess, I'm wondering if Princess will schedule another port now?

We were on the Ruby Princess in October 2013 and scheduled to visit Tunis. At the time I wasn't sure that I'd go ashore in Tunis. I said I'd probably make a final decision the day we arrived in port. About a month or so before the cruise we received notice from Princess that they were dropping Tunis and adding Malta. We really loved our stop in Malta.

I was on the Splendida when this tragedy occurred. While I understand the cruise companies position, this will devastate the Tunisian economy. Our guide, who was excellent, is now likely out of work along with thousands other folks that support the cruise industry. One of our stops, the market at Sid Bou Sade will also likely collapse without tourism. Tunisia is the only country that emerged with a working democracy after the Arab Spring. If some sanity will ever be achieved in Northern Africa and the Middle East it will be because the free world supported countries like Tunisia in its time of crisis. The terrorist knew exactly the impact this would have at the start of the tourism season to destabilize the Tunisian economy and its fledgling democracy. With increased security at tourist sites and on tourist transportation, tourism can again succeed in Tunisia. This will take a leap of faith by all parties, but it is worth the message it will send to terrorist. You cannot achieve your goals through random acts of savagery, and those that choose freedom over tyranny ultimately prevail.

I was on the Splendida when this tragedy occurred. While I understand the cruise companies position, this will devastate the Tunisian economy. Our guide, who was excellent, is now likely out of work along with thousands other folks that support the cruise industry. One of our stops, the market at Sid Bou Sade will also likely collapse without tourism. Tunisia is the only country that emerged with a working democracy after the Arab Spring. If some sanity will ever be achieved in Northern Africa and the Middle East it will be because the free world supported countries like Tunisia in its time of crisis. The terrorist knew exactly the impact this would have at the start of the tourism season to destabilize the Tunisian economy and its fledgling democracy. With increased security at tourist sites and on tourist transportation, tourism can again succeed in Tunisia. This will take a leap of faith by all parties, but it is worth the message it will send to terrorist. You cannot achieve your goals through random acts of savagery, and those that choose freedom over tyranny ultimately prevail.

I agree with your sentiments. Difficult times and difficult decisions. I hope in time the Tunisian people will get the support they need to overcome the challenges they face. My thoughts go out to the grieving friends and families as well as the local people who want a better life.