Population of my cruise

Solitarycruiser

My May 2 on the Spirit is waitlist.

Our March 18 Wind cruise was wait listed across the board but we sailed at about 80% capacity so I'm not sure how reliable "wait listing" is in terms of actual or final passengers. Of course that's against the max passenger capacity of 296 passengers which means passengers sleeping on couches, etc. versus actual unsold cabins. I'm actually only sure of one vacant cabin as a couple was moved into one of the Silver Suites about midway through the cruise because of plumbing issues in their initial cabin.

Edited by Randyk47

There are ways to see what cabin numbers are still available, but this does not necessarily reflect how many passengers are booked for the same cruise being that those who have reserved a guaranty cabin are not accounted for. I was surprised at how many cabins were available for my upcoming cruise as recently as 10 days ago and now that the assignments have been made, they have almost all disappeared.

Our March 18 Wind cruise was wait listed across the board but we sailed at about 80% capacity so I'm not sure how reliable "wait listing" is in terms of actual or final passengers. Of course that's against the max passenger capacity of 296 passengers which means passengers sleeping on couches, etc. versus actual unsold cabins. I'm actually only sure of one vacant cabin as a couple was moved into one of the Silver Suites about midway through the cruise because of plumbing issues in their initial cabin.

Wind has 148 cabins, so the 296 number would not require anyone to be sleeping on couches.

Wind has 148 cabins, so the 296 number would not require anyone to be sleeping on couches.

I wondered about that and actually hadn't looked at the number of cabins. That means our cruise was fairly undersold despite the waitlist.

Also bear in mind that if a number of suites are occupied by solo travelers, a sailing will still be "full" while having fewer than the maximum capacity.

If you're curious to know how many will be onboard, you could ask your travel agent to check with the Silversea rep.

Likewise. Our April 13 sailing on the wind showed wait listing for all suites except the Royal and silver suites. I know for a fact (without needing to ask) that there were vacant vista and veranda suites. We had room issues (loud banging noises - which we think we down to the ships stabilisation and were offered to be moved to other vista suites and were offered a balcony on deck 6 which we accepted and used to sleep in. (We only had 3 nights left by that time so wasn't worth the upheaval to physically switch rooms.) So effectively we had 2 suites on the go!

I wondered about that and actually hadn't looked at the number of cabins. That means our cruise was fairly undersold despite the waitlist.

Like a lot of things a ship's capacity is not as simple as it sounds. Ships have three capacities, standard capacity (number of bed spaces), maximum capacity (every cabin has its maximum number of passengers), and sailing capacity (number of people it can sail with).

So, depending on which of these was used as the capacity number, a ship could be wait listed and still have 80% of, say, maximum capacity.

Like a lot of things a ship's capacity is not as simple as it sounds. Ships have three capacities, standard capacity (number of bed spaces), maximum capacity (every cabin has its maximum number of passengers), and sailing capacity (number of people it can sail with).

So, depending on which of these was used as the capacity number, a ship could be wait listed and still have 80% of, say, maximum capacity.

All I know for sure is that our waitlisted cruise had 241 passengers once it sailed. I don't know how or if that translated into empty cabins. We also didn't have many if any solos on this particular cruise.