NCL Molokini Crater and Turtle Snorkel

smacksgirl11

Has anyone done the Molokini Crater and Turtle snorkel tour with NCL? If so, how was it? Is it comparable to the tours offered on the island.

If anyone has done this tour on the island of Maui and booked on their own, would love to hear about it. I know start times are early, and we wont have a car this day, so how hard is it to get a taxi at 6:30am?

Thank you for your help!!

I have snorkeled there at least 20 times going multiple times per trip, as I stay an extra week in Maui. IF it is a NCL tour- transportation is included. Otherwise, it's is a costly taxi ride- I've been on boats with people looking to hitch rides back to the ship because they underestimated cab costs getting there.

You do need an early morning tour, since the water churns up later.

If you are only in Maui for 2 days, you can rent a car and snorkel many beaches and see much more of Maui if you are not on an excursion.

Kapalua Bay, is a lovely beach on the west side.

If you like to snorkel; try the Ahihi Kinau Natural Area/The Dumps/Ma'onakala “The Dumps. This location is not for beginners as there was a current and a very rocky entry. The beach was not as pretty as the West shore beaches, but the coral was healthy and I loved the isolated feeling to the location. Saw lots of fish and the water clarity was excellent. This location was one of our best snorkeling spots on the trip.

Directions to the dumps:

Ahihi Kinau Natural Area/The Dumps/Ma'onakala. Follow Wailea Alanui Drive to the south - it will turn into Makena Alanui Drive, and once that comes to an end, it will be Makena Road. Past Big Beach, the road gets a bit narrower. A short ways past a large bend in the road, you'll see the signs welcoming you to Ahihi Kinau Natural Area Reserve. You'll pass a popular cove for snorkeling that's maybe 100 yards or so from the signs you just passed. If you're looking for "The Dumps" then keep on driving. After another 100 yards or so, you'll pass a long stone wall on your right, you will go up a hill and the large gravel parking lot will be close to the top with bright yellow gates on your right. THIS is the parking lot you're looking for. It is a rough parking lot, not paved. After parking walk toward the water to the end of the parking lot. You will see a short trail on your left.

• 5 months later...
It is a great tour... have done it at least 4 or 5 times with NCL. It comes with transport both ways, and on a good boat, and good food. Also visit to "Turtle Town". Then a stop on the bus back at the Pacific Wildlife store.

Chuck

Hi Chuck - can you tell me if NCL use the same boat each time, and if it has easy access steps...hard to get the info from the company.

Hi Chuck - can you tell me if NCL use the same boat each time, and if it has easy access steps...hard to get the info from the company.

We aren't Molokai Chuck, but have you checked with the Pacific Whale Foundation? We believe they are the only ones handling that tour for NCL. You can email your question to pacificwhale.org. Believe their phone number is (808)249-8811, but you might want to double check that.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

• 2 weeks later...
It is a great tour... have done it at least 4 or 5 times with NCL. It comes with transport both ways, and on a good boat, and good food. Also visit to "Turtle Town". Then a stop on the bus back at the Pacific Wildlife store.

Chuck

Do you know if they supply towels or do we need to bring our own.