Check in time Grand Princess San Francisco to Alaska

SantaFeFan

I just looked at my online travel summary for our June 17 cruise to Alaska out of San Francisco and noticed that the departure time is 4:00 pm. I have heard that all passengers must be checked in 90 minutes prior to departure. However, I also see that there is progressive boarding listed, starting at 1:00 pm. According to the the summary, our deck, Dolphin, doesn't start boarding until 1:30 pm. If every passenger must be boarded 90 minutes before departure, that means we just barely make it on before muster drill must be held. This seems a bit restrictive.

Here is what our summary states:

"1:00 PM - Baja & Lido Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L 1:30 PM - Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D 2:00 PM - Caribe & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & P 2:30 PM - Aloha & Fiesta Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with A & F"

We were hoping to catch lunch in the MDR, but from what I have read, that ends at 1:30. So, we are cut out of a nice lunch just because of the deck we are on??? Or don't they serve lunch in the MDR on these cruises?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I was just on the 5/8/17 sailing. My advice is to drop your bags off around 11:00 am, after the passengers from the last cruise have all departed. Then go and check in. Boarding starts around 11:30 am. If you don't have preferred boarding, then you may have to wait a little longer. You will get a card that tells you your boarding group.

Staggered boarding is a "suggestion". Do as suggested above and arrive around 11:00 and drop your checked bags with a porter. Start the boarding process and you will be onboard (if all works out) in time to have lunch in MDR. We often don't make it to the port quite that early but have only had a long wait to board once. That was a horrible boarding in San Pedro where people were still boarding well after the listed sail away time.

SantaFeFan, thanks for asking this... I've been wondering the same thing! In regard to arrival/departure, what is the earliest we can depart on the last day? On RCI we can carry our own bags off and can depart before all of the general craziness occurs. Does Princess allow something like that?

SantaFeFan, thanks for asking this... I've been wondering the same thing! In regard to arrival/departure, what is the earliest we can depart on the last day? On RCI we can carry our own bags off and can depart before all of the general craziness occurs. Does Princess allow something like that?

As long as you can manage your own luggage, you can do the early walk-off. I believe the first group was off around 7:30 am, and the last group (those who had put their bags out the night before) were off around 10:30 am.

Depending on your status, you can board towards the beginning of when Princess opens up boarding provided there are no unforeseen circumstances.

In San Francisco, they will first allow the BVE (Bon Voyage Experience) passengers and sailing guests to board first, after which they will allow boarding for suite passengers and then elite passengers. If there are large numbers of passengers waiting, they will board by the suggested boarding times but if no lines, you will be allowed to board at this time, regardless of your status with Princess or the deck on which you have booked.

The main dining room does close by 1:30 PM for lunch ... pretty much without exception! If you are able to make it in time, it is rather enjoyable. If you are not, enjoy your cruise and plan on going to the MDR during one of your sea days. My guess is, that if the ship is docking in Pier 27, which is so much better than the old Pier 35, you will make it to lunch in the MDR as planned.

My guess is, that if the ship is docking in Pier 27, which is so much better than the old Pier 35, you will make it to lunch in the MDR as planned.

FWIW, the port schedule has the Grand Princess at Pier 27 all year. They only use 35 when there are two ships in at the same time.

When we did this cruise in 2015, we were onboard amongst the first by around 11:30am at the latest which gave us time time to leisurely explore the ship and grab lunch before the rush. We had already been settled into our cabin as well long before the Muster. We are always early birds when it comes to boarding and disembarkation.

We love doing the self-disembarkation early as it just feels less rushed. You get through customs quick, already have your bags with you and don't need to go searching for them, and there is no long wait for a cab if needed.

Have a great cruise.

Santa fe fan welcome aboard! We are a large family reunion on this cruise! Hope to see you onboard

I just looked at my online travel summary for our June 17 cruise to Alaska out of San Francisco and noticed that the departure time is 4:00 pm. I have heard that all passengers must be checked in 90 minutes prior to departure. However, I also see that there is progressive boarding listed, starting at 1:00 pm. According to the the summary, our deck, Dolphin, doesn't start boarding until 1:30 pm. If every passenger must be boarded 90 minutes before departure, that means we just barely make it on before muster drill must be held. This seems a bit restrictive.

Here is what our summary states:

"1:00 PM - Baja & Lido Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L 1:30 PM - Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D 2:00 PM - Caribe & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & P 2:30 PM - Aloha & Fiesta Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with A & F"

We were hoping to catch lunch in the MDR, but from what I have read, that ends at 1:30. So, we are cut out of a nice lunch just because of the deck we are on??? Or don't they serve lunch in the MDR on these cruises?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I was just on the 5/8/17 sailing. My advice is to drop your bags off around 11:00 am, after the passengers from the last cruise have all departed. Then go and check in. Boarding starts around 11:30 am. If you don't have preferred boarding, then you may have to wait a little longer. You will get a card that tells you your boarding group.

Agree with Partybarbie. We did the Bon Voyage experience today on the Grand and when we arrived at 10:30 we could check in immediately. But while we were waiting in our holding area, there were already other passengers in the Preferred and other areas. The reps processing the checkins were not that busy (only half of the stations were staffed) from about 11 to 11:30 while we waited. However, then we left the ship at 2 pm, the terminal was a zoo with long lines and all of the stations open. Best to check in earlier than later in SF.