All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie...That sunset cruise in Aruba is a fabulous excursion!! The all aboard time must be in the evening? I didn't realize that there could be such a late all aboard time that would allow something like that. It's really wonderful to be on a smaller ship at such a time of day.

IDK if my photos are really showing in my posts (they do for me...but I've learned that doesn't mean it does for everyone)...but the one I've been using now is imgbb dot com. I like that I can create an album that is private. Anyone with the link, it says, can see the photo and that's fine...my images don't end up searchable for the general public.

The brown dress is lovely. I know you shied away from that neckline in the past but I have to say that I think that particular one is very flattering. The keyhole opening opens up the chest area enough while the additional high neck really elongates you...which I think you like. And it is very attractive.

I agree with Melody...and would like the print dress...but I can also see how it doesn't scream Laurie all at the same time. I am very used to seeing you in solids...and I think the dress is nice but maybe that has to do with whatever your Kibbe (or whatever Kibbe offshoot) style is? I'm trying to say that it's not that it doesn't look good, because it does, and I think the print is fun...but I can see how you would say it isn't your fav, maybe because you don't think it's really "you".

And I get that. I just have never developed a strong opinion regarding my own fashion. IDK why. But it's something that is coming together for me know. I think.

I put together an outfit that I think is totally me. And it was great. This photo is the perspective of my taller than me DH...he's looking down at me and is also on an incline...anyway, I'm wearing my new cargo/utility vest, a similar colored tank, my ivory lace skirt, and my oh-so-awesome sandals...

IMG_1832.jpg

You can't see it very well but I'm wearing a man's watch...the face that rose colored metal and the band is a leather look. It was really warm and we had been walking around looking at art booths downtown so my hair is something of a mess...not a bad look on a YinN...I am actually wearing some makeup too but there's just no way.

I know I said I was going through my makeup and I just haven't done it yet. It's still all in a huge Ziplock bag on the counter. My goal is to come up with a standard daytime face. One that will pretty much work with anything that I wear...not necessarily a no makeup look, but along those lines...and then figure out how I would kick that up for evening...and then get rid of all the other makeup I have. Let the things that I bought that I don't really like go... And if, or when, I feel the need to change things up...then I'll go look for that specific thing. I think I have just tried to have/do too much in the past and rather than be happy with all my choices...it just looks like too much work to sort through.

Anyway...I've struggled a bit to wear this lace skirt. I like it a lot but I just have a hard time figuring out a look that still makes me feel right...and this is it. The kind of juxtaposition of the lace and the utility is exactly me. While we were looking at the art booths...I saw a necklace that was super cool. The man had taken an old pocket watch...and the inside gears were exposed and he'd shaped the back into a heart. It was all old antiqued metal in a warm color...it was pretty fab. And he made a long chain for it. It actually went perfectly with my outfit. It was beyond my impulse buy purchase price threshold...but I have his card. I might have to track him down and see if it's still available.

Aruba had a pretty late departure. I think it was 10 30? It's pretty neatvwhen you can do so much in one day, and still get back on board for dinner.

Anita, l love that outfit on you. Of seems like you are really comfortable and at home in it.

I am thinking about thst necklace you saw. I am drawn to things like that myself. Wearing it can be different. Jewelry is where I add sonething...i don't know if you would call it personality, maybe it is more of a reflection off what I am feeling at the time. There is a great steampunk seller on Etsy. I will look up the name for you.

Here is another sunset photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hgOBhW15g9Cj7WJy2

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Those colors look really right for you too, Anita. It's funny because I've tried to create that look for myself, and it just doesn't work for me.

I love the brown dress. I know it isn't the best lighting but the fit and style is really nice. You can totally dress it up or down, and it traveled really well. I was worried it would get all wrinkled.

Is this the concept of the necklace you saw?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/535974554/dragonfly-necklace-steampunk-jewelry

Yes. That's the basic idea. I would describe the one I saw as a bit more raw, deconstructed, and less shiny and of course, less ornate because there wasn't the added embellishments like the dragonfly.

I think that print is more you as well. I think part of it is the scale of the print...it's much larger and less detailed (dare I say busy?) then the other dress.

It also looks like a much lighter weight fabric than the others you have which usually doesn't drape as nicely. It's like the fabric doesn't have the weight needed to hang heavier and thus, hug your curves as you described. If you really want to see shape, you might have to figure out how to loosely belt it. Did you save any of the fabric from when you took it in? Maybe a loose tie out of the same fabric would work?

Thanks for the complements Laurie.

Anita, I love that outfit on you . I love how you mixed styles . It is so you !

Laurie , Very nice pictures . I love the last dress.It is a gorgeous dress .The teal dress looks gorgeous as does the gold one .It is unbelievable that you had such good weather while the storm was there .

Anita, love that vest on you & those yummy Sandals! You look relaxed & comfortable, always what I strive for

Laurie, that floral print dress is definitely more you. A trick my tailor aunt (who made dance & ice skating costumes for many, many years for the Ice Capades ) taught me for "floaty" fabrics to put a couple of tiny fishing weights evenly spaced along the hem, gives it just enough structure without dragging the hem out of place. You still get the floaty look, but it hugs the body more. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you both! I think that the idea of mixing it up is a key for me. I've tried to keep outfits with the lace skirt more romantic in nature...more feminine overall...and it just doesn't seem to work right for me...I don't feel right.

I can think back now to this one outfit that I LOVED so much. It was in my Easter basket. It was a matching shirt and skirt. The skirt was one of those minis with a straight hip and the gathered length. A little tennis skirt-ish. The top was 3/4 sleeves with a banded waist and poofy sleeves at the shoulders. It had a graphic detail on an angle on the top and the opposing side/angle on the bottom. Super cute. And pretty feminine. And I wore it with knee highs and sneakers.

I remember my Dad asking my Mom why I was wearing sneakers with my cute, girly outfit. But the fact is...that's what worked for me.

I did the same thing for work...one of my favorites was skirt in the same cut...straight hip and gathered length...above the knees...black with white polka dots...and I loved wearing it with tights and heeled oxfords.

So I'm thinking that the mix of a more masculine and a more feminine is what really works...and it's funny to read Laurie saying that she's tried for that look before...and it hasn't worked for her...which I think would offer a clue for her Kibbe analysis.

If the weather would just cool off a bit...I think I'd have more fun playing with layered outfits...but it just still so warm!! OMG. I purchased a very flattering feminine cardigan from Soft Surroundings on clearance last Spring...it's a Fall item though...and I'm eager to figure out the masculine to complement it...because the silhouette is perfectly YinN. The color isn't the best...I think it's a warm navy...it's a bit on the dark side to be ideal...but I doubt that finding perfect will ever be easy.

The scarf and skinny jeans are very warm colored. Light colors are not the best for me, but they work in bottoms and accessories. I liked that the scarf was lace. It was kind of like wearing a necklace for me. :D

Ooooo! Laurie. I have that exact scarf, I think. Mine is very light cream that I got at Charming Charlie, maybe? You've given me an "ah-ha" styling moment. I've struggled with how to style this scarf and it's been left in the closet. A. lot. It may show up on our February cruise with a pair of whitish jean capris. Thanks!

Really enjoying catching up on both conversations.

I was part of the (navy, black, grey, brown) suit & briefcase brigade for so many years...I feel like I've graduated (not retired). Wearing my bright colors is freeing to my soul (& Les can find me [emoji6]). Melody

Anita, don't you have a rust, navy, olive & cream scarf? Your olive Merona tank & olive pants could be the masculine

I don't have a scarf with those colors...but now I want one! LOL. I'll have to look at what I do have though...that's a good idea. Does anyone else start some outfits with shoes? I'm definitely thinking my knee high lace up riding boots with the cardigan...many outfit ideas on Pinterest with the boots, cardigan and scarf idea...or a long necklace...which leads me back to that Steampunk inspired necklace...hmmm.

I love that Steampunk inspired necklace you posted, Laurie. I'd wear it. It doesn't fit the description of my necklace proportions, but the lovely thing about my style is that I'm allowed an opposite in every outfit. That would be how I'd wear it. My off-white jean jacket with a FIRE-y top and slim-fitting jeans, cowboy boots and that necklace. Yum!

You know how I knew about that Etsy store...I like that jewelry too.

I think we all have some unexpected things within us. I don't think most people would see me as a sports fan, either.

I started reading up on the Kibbe quiz a bit, and some of the styling info on classic was spot on for me. Except the low key jewelry. That must come into play somewhere else.

Before I continue on with my trip report, I want to mention that Kohls is having a sale, and then 15% off of that and I had a reward to use. I ordered 4 dresses, all of which I consider casual, for a total of $150.00 including tax. I know I'm not going to keep them all.

The first one came in today. I was thinking it was too much of a fire orange, but it ended up being earth, which made me very happy. It's a lose fit, but not a trapeze or swing dress. I'm not fond of the ruffle though. I think I'll try it on again and get a picture. I think I can remove the ruffle easily.

6e77bf97dad8763f3c9ef75ca9d7adac.jpg

The picture makes it look brighter than it is. It's almost a rust color.

But I want to remove the ruffle and even make it a bit straighter near the hem, instead of a-line.

Thoughts?

So where was I? Okay, we had left Aruba.

The next day was supposed to be a sea day, but it was replaced with Bonaire.

My husband has declared it to be his favorite port. It just doesn't feel touristy.

Since I had not planned on this port, I wasn't sure what to do.

We elected to go on a glass bottom.boat tour, which was enjoyable. By the time we got back, it was almost lunch time.

We always ask where the locals eat, and the tour person said there were some great spots on the main road. She mentioned Bonaire's only brewery having a place there. So we went there, of course!

4bba346df5bc9f850fe3832a9cca55a8.jpg

e8a78828b36a4fb23e374ac44ecfc452.jpg

8a32975e4dd34f78bac786ecfc0f016c.jpg

668a6ab5807a5b855a78f90389c6ace4.jpg

Lunch was awesome. They described them as tacos. It had pulled pork, peppers and onions was a mango salsa. And the pulled pork was amazing.

And so was the beer!

We wandered quite a bit after that before heading back onboard.

Second formal night! I hate to complain, but I'm beginning to think the photographers want me to look like a linebacker. 😂 I like the imposed pictures best.

And the dress is definitely orange.

aec93bc0f866c2f12b66d37c0586f504.jpg

21d66d168e401ef9badfa96af8994cd1.jpg