Drink package for diamond members

I'm very torn on whether or not to purchase a drink package for our upcoming March cruise. Everyone in our party are now diamond members and will be able to use the Diamond Club (or drink vouchers) during cocktail hours so I'm not sure it would be cost effective.

A couple of questions:

1) If we get the drink package, how difficult is it to get bar service in the DR to get a glass of wine? The bar servers are pretty few these days.

2) With the drink package, am I able to walk into the DR with a full glass of wine so I don't have to ask for bar service immediately?

3) If we opt not to get the drink package, is the wine & dine package for bottles still offered for the DR?

In addition, our cruise is pretty port intensive so I'm not sure the drink package will work, but could be used to take some bottles of water on shore. Like I said....I'm torn on what to do (but grateful that I have something like this to concern myself with!)

I'm very torn on whether or not to purchase a drink package for our upcoming March cruise. Everyone in our party are now diamond members and will be able to use the Diamond Club (or drink vouchers) during cocktail hours so I'm not sure it would be cost effective.

A couple of questions:

1) If we get the drink package, how difficult is it to get bar service in the DR to get a glass of wine? The bar servers are pretty few these days.

2) With the drink package, am I able to walk into the DR with a full glass of wine so I don't have to ask for bar service immediately?

3) If we opt not to get the drink package, is the wine & dine package for bottles still offered for the DR?

In addition, our cruise is pretty port intensive so I'm not sure the drink package will work, but could be used to take some bottles of water on shore. Like I said....I'm torn on what to do (but grateful that I have something like this to concern myself with!)

We have not found it difficult to get bar service in the dining room. You can walk into the dining room with a drink. The standard wine package has been discontinued fleetwide, but some ships are offering their own package, so inquire onboard.

Specialty restaurants had a better list of wines by the glass, each specialty restaurant was slightly different. Getting refills there was very easy, I thought I would need to buy some wine by the bottle and it was not necessary.

I'm very torn on whether or not to purchase a drink package for our upcoming March cruise. Everyone in our party are now diamond members and will be able to use the Diamond Club (or drink vouchers) during cocktail hours so I'm not sure it would be cost effective. For us, we were able to get as many as 6 drinks each night in the Diamond lounge and with vouchers. We were wondering the same thing as new Diamonds. For our level of consumption the package was definitely not worth it, and we just ordered drinks outside the evening window a'la carte and came out way ahead. I did pass on a few morning Bloody Marys I usually got on the package, but did not really miss them much. DW did miss the bottled water option. In a perfect world they would offer an equal discount on packages in lieu of the vouchers, but not complaining.

A couple of questions:

1) If we get the drink package, how difficult is it to get bar service in the DR to get a glass of wine? The bar servers are pretty few these days. We never had trouble getting MDR drink service when we've had packages. An alternative, on our recent Jewel Cruise it was very easy to walk to the bar just outside the dining room to use our Diamond vouchers and return to our seats. I know this is not for everyone, but where we were seated, it worked well for us.

2) With the drink package, am I able to walk into the DR with a full glass of wine so I don't have to ask for bar service immediately? We often walked in with wine or a drink from the lounge to start the meal, as well as carrying a few in during the course of our meal. Nobody cared at all. You can also bring your allowed bottles of wine in, or a glass from them.

Comments in red

Edited by Doug S

Specialty restaurants had a better list of wines by the glass, each specialty restaurant was slightly different. Getting refills there was very easy, I thought I would need to buy some wine by the bottle and it was not necessary.

We do the same thing in most of the bars. We never "waited" for a drink again. At the poolside "Squeeze" bar we tipped very well the first day (like $20 tip for a round of 4 drinks) then anytime there would be a line at the bar and he would serve us in between other customers (we weren't cutting in line - we loved to sit on the barstools. ;-))

That first initial tip can set the tone for the rest of the cruise. You will get served without it - but I might get served first. :p

If you drink during the day and in the evening, then the drink package might be worth it for you.

For us, drinks in the Diamond Lounge before dinner is fine. And I can carry a glass of wine into dinner. I thought the drink package was not available in the MDR or Windjammer. Maybe that went the way of the corkage fee?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you drink during the day and in the evening, then the drink package might be worth it for you.

For us, drinks in the Diamond Lounge before dinner is fine. And I can carry a glass of wine into dinner. I thought the drink package was not available in the MDR or Windjammer. Maybe that went the way of the corkage fee?

The drink packages have always been honored in restaurants. It's the Diamond drink vouchers that cannot be used in restaurants.

How many nights is your cruise? I consider a good compromise first time trial drink package for Diamond members on 7 night cruise is to try select package for the last 4 nights.

Drink the wine you bring and your diamond drinks the first few days and drink in port and order one or two drinks if want, and still cheaper than package first 3 nights. For last 4, maybe you are running low on wine and like beer/wine for the most part and occasional drink while in port. Still have the diamond drinks to get liquor in the evenings. Could even order a mock cocktail with Select package and a shot of whatever with diamond voucher, and load up your drink. Then you have a feel for if you like a package at only 35/day +18% tip for four days.

The select package does NOT get you bottles of water, thou. I had the replenish package last time but still brought water bottles for the family who had soda cards and it was often easier to just drink those bottles from the cabin. You "may" be able to start with a select package and upgrade to premium and that could be of interest too.

Can the Diamond vouchers be used at any bar any time of the day? How about in the theater?

The drink vouchers can be used in the theater, during the hours Patti listed above.

A couple of questions:

3) If we opt not to get the drink package, is the wine & dine package for bottles still offered for the DR

DW got a package last time around. Each night at dinner, be in MDR or Chops, waiter's instructions were the glass of Moscato never got empty. This was never a problem. ;)

We do the same thing in most of the bars. We never "waited" for a drink again. At the poolside "Squeeze" bar we tipped very well the first day (like $20 tip for a round of 4 drinks) then anytime there would be a line at the bar and he would serve us in between other customers (we weren't cutting in line - we loved to sit on the barstools. ;-))

That first initial tip can set the tone for the rest of the cruise. You will get served without it - but I might get served first. :p

Our strategy at the Plaza Bar. Took longer to walk there from the entrance to the Windjammer than for them to get her drink.

You can use your Diamond Vouchers on your sea pass to get a couple of glasses of wine from any bar (during the allotted hours) and take them into the Dining Room. If your cruise is port intensive the drink package could be a waste.

On our last cruise on Splendour the Diamond hours were 5.30 - 9pm

We were able to have a drink before dinner 6.30pm, collect a couple of glasses of wine on the way to the dining room and a drink after dinner in the Diamond Lounge or a bar. Worked well for me.