Copenhagen ports

sb2cfam

Looking for a hotel in Copenhagen before departing on Serenade of the Seas on August 22, 2015. What port does the ship actually depart from in Copenhagen?

Welcome to Cruise Critic Sb2fam.

You're best bet is to post a message over on the Northern Europe at Cruise Critic here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

I would also suggest Googling Copenhagen hotels on Tripadvisor.com.

http://www.oyster.com is a great hotel resource too.

Jonathan

Looking for a hotel in Copenhagen before departing on Serenade of the Seas on August 22, 2015. What port does the ship actually depart from in Copenhagen?

There are not many hotels near the port so you will need to take a taxi or public transport

You will be at Freeport....Ocean Quay

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/season-current

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/transportation/and-cruise-terminals

Edited by LHT28

All hotels in Copenhagen are expensive. When we visit we always stay at a wonderful hotel called the Admiral. Several hundred years ago what is now the Admiral once was a huge grainery.

I've stayed at all the top hotels in Copenhagen and the Admiral is still my favorite. The hotel is right on the water and away from noise and street traffic (the Royal Palace is almost next door and the Queen is not a big noise fan ;)). Every 'must see' attractions in Copenhagen is just a short walk away. Like mentioned above you're going to want a taxi (always available at the Admiral) to take you to your ship. The taxi ride isn't very long.

Do a search online of the Admiral Hotel. I think you'll like it. And enjoy Copenhagen, I used to live there :).

I know Hotel d'Angleterre very well. The corner suite looking at the old opera house bears my fathers name. While it is probably the most beautiful hotel in Copenhagen I still like the Admiral better - mostly because the Admiral is not as formal and it's whisper quiet late at night. Late night party goers are very audible coming down the Walking Street past the hotel late at night :o. Should we mention to the OP what that wonderful breakfast will add to your bill at the Hotel d'Angleterre :eek:. Boy do I miss those! Best breakfast in Denmark.

Both the Admiral and the Angleterre are very high-end hotels that are pricey even compared to NY or LA. If you are looking for more reasonable alternatives, I can recommend the Quality Airport Hotel Dan, in Kastrup, about 5-min away from the airport via inexpensive taxi .

The hotel is set in a semi-residential area with many shops, places to eat, etc. There's an attractive marina with a recommended restaurant, about an 8 min. walk away. You can get a bus from the hotel into central Copenhagen.

Before our cruise we stayed at the First Hotel Mayfair in the heart of downtown. Lots of money for a tiny room across from a strip club, but the breakfasts were out of this world and we were "walking distance" to everything. This turned out to be more of a chore than a joy, but bear in mind this was June and the temperature was 50 F, with a wind that could take your face off. YMMV.

At the Quality, however, you will be much more relaxed, you will have far better internet, if you need a car you can park for free, and the breakfasts were just as breathtaking. We thought we'd enjoy being in the bustling heart of everything. Turned out more the honking, screeching, yelling, truck-backing-up heart of everything, with the additional risk of being mowed down by bicyclists, and a nice thick pall of cigarette smoke hanging over it all. I preferred the airport hotel -- where, by the way, we never heard any plane noise.

FWIW.

Because sb2cfam is an in transit visitor to Denmark, Hotel Dan is a great option (not to mention saving him a ton of money that will be better used on his cruise). Very good advice. As stated - the Admiral and d'Angleterre are not inexpensive ;). The bus to downtown is almost as fast as taking a taxi and they are very affordable.

A must do while visiting Copenhagen is to try one of the thin red hot dogs as you walk through down town Copenhagen (they're served on a square of paper with mustard, ketchup and small 'biscuit'). They are sold by vendor carts everywhere and for a good reason - they're very tasty :D.