SBP - Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc?

CruisinChris

I doubt HAL sells Cloudy Bay by the glass.

We find we enjoy Villa Maria as much as Cloudy Bay and ordered that if available.

They don't. It's $78 on the bottle list. If they've got the 2014, it would be a "maybe" purchase for me, but if it's not, I'd give it a pass.

I, too, prefer New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. On the Prinsendam's recently completed holiday cruise, Nobilo, Regional Collection was available and what was served when one ordered that "Nobilo". The last evening of the cruise, my wine stewardess brought me a different Nobilo, not Regional Collection. It had a different label (cannot recall what the label said) and certainly was not as good as what had been served. She insisted it was the same wine, but it wasn't. I rejected it and ordered something else.

Villa Maria, which I also enjoy, is available by the glass as well as the bottle. But, it's price was $12/glass.

I, too, prefer New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. On the Prinsendam's recently completed holiday cruise, Nobilo, Regional Collection was available and what was served when one ordered that "Nobilo". The last evening of the cruise, my wine stewardess brought me a different Nobilo, not Regional Collection. It had a different label (cannot recall what the label said) and certainly was not as good as what had been served. She insisted it was the same wine, but it wasn't. I rejected it and ordered something else.

Villa Maria, which I also enjoy, is available by the glass as well as the bottle. But, it's price was $12/glass.

Probably Nobilo Icon. It's about $10 more at retail than Nobilo Regional Collection Sauvignon Blanc.

Probably Nobilo Icon. It's about $10 more at retail than Nobilo Regional Collection Sauvignon Blanc.

Yes, I do think you are correct. "Icon" does ring a bell. Surprised that it is more expensive at retail than the Regional Collection. Made in smaller quantities, I wonder? But, the wine certainly did not suit my taste! I ordered my favored Villa Maria and was pleased!

I had been quite pleased with my wine stewardess, but her "insistence" that what she was trying to serve that night was the same as what I had been served was disappointing. After the length of time she had been serving me, she ought to have realized that I know "something" about wine. Particularly, since she was a long time Prinsendam crew member.

Icon is the higher end wine. It is a different blend. I've never noticed "regional collection" on the mass brand but it may be there. There is a huge difference between the two, but I think the lower one is quite acceptable.

I was hoping to make a call before I boarded but I see its not going to be possible. I sought out unfamiliar bottles on the list and have already tried them and am unimpressed. Some/most are really terrible. Hal's wine list and pricing leaves a lot to be desired. Princess list and prices have become less attractive in recent years as well, but I think they still have far better quality at better value than Hal.

I'm traveling alone this go round and did t really want to hassle with bringing a bunch of bottles on even though I realize I will end up ahead - even with the corkage. Maybe I need to reconsider.

You can pick up wine in ports and bring it aboard if you don't wish to hassle carrying much at embarkation. It is the same corkage fee and you can bring aboard whatever wines you want from wherever.

Crusin'Chris,

If "Icon" is at the "higher" end of the Nobilo products, it is at the "lower" end of what I will drink.

"To each his own" once again rules!

The Icon wines are more variable and they only produce about 10,000 cases. The regional collection has a production of 500,000 cases. The regional collection Sauvignon Blanc had a release price of $13. It sells for $8.97 at Total Wine. The Icon wine had a release price of $22 and sells for $17.99. According to Nobilo, the Icon uses better fruit, but the regular Nobilo is very uniform from year to year.

While NOT on the subject of the Signature Beverage Package, but regarding Nobilo:

Nobilo has been available on the Wine Package for many years, and was on the Prinsendam in November, 2015. For my taste is is quite nice and we drink it at home often. When first introduced, it was on the Navigator's Choice side (less expensive @$89 for 3 bottles). Approximately two or so years ago HAL switched it over to the Admiral's Choice side (more expensive @ $119 for 3 bottles). As an aside, the retail price of Nobilo has not gone up.

FYI, for those that want to give it a try prior to boarding.... It is available at Total Wine (at least in San Antonio) for around $6.50 a bottle when you purchase 6 bottles. This price is just a reference point, so please do not compare this price with HAL's price - that isn't the my point. I think it is a great value, especially for a nice glass, sitting on the front porch during happy hour. (Yes, in San Antonio, we can sit on the front porch in February, in shorts & tee on occasion!)

Edited by LoveHAL