SBP - Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc?

CruisinChris

Hi all,

I leave in a couple weeks on my first HAL cruise on the Westerdam. I've spent a lot of time reading the threads on the SBP and pouring over various menus published here and there by members of this community. I've been debating about getting the SBP and have a couple key questions:

1. I've read that Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc is available though I haven't really seen it on a list. I've read that if you ask, you can have it and that it does qualify for SBP. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

2. Is Nobilo available on all ships or on the Westerdam in particular?

I don't really like the wines on the list that are eligble for the package and I tend to primarily drink wine, though a cocktail here and there are always part of my cruise vacations. If Nobilo is available, that seals the deal for me.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all' date='

I leave in a couple weeks on my first HAL cruise on the Westerdam. I've spent a lot of time reading the threads on the SBP and pouring over various menus published here and there by members of this community. I've been debating about getting the SBP and have a couple key questions:

1. I've read that Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc is available though I haven't really seen it on a list. I've read that if you ask, you can have it and that it does qualify for SBP. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

2. Is Nobilo available on all ships or on the Westerdam in particular?

I don't really like the wines on the list that are eligble for the package and I tend to primarily drink wine, though a cocktail here and there are always part of my cruise vacations. If Nobilo is available, that seals the deal for me.

Thanks in advance![/quote']

Here is a link to the Main Dining Room Wine List (note that your wine is available by caraffe):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Dining-Room-Wine-by-the-Glass.pdf

Here is a link with the Navigator's packages showing your wine:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Dining-Room-Wine-Navigator-Pkg.pdf

Not sure how it will fit on the SBP getting it by the glass.

The production for Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough, Regional Collection - which is the one I've seen on HAL ships the last few years) is 500,000 cases per year. That's 6 million bottles. It's fair to say that's it's pretty widely available. ;)

They had it by the glass in the Crow's Nest on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It wasn't on the bar list, but if you asked for a Sauvignon Blanc, it was available - and it was priced such that it was happy hour and Signature Beverage Package eligible.

Always ask the bartenders if you are looking for something specific. I recommend asking at the bar instead of asking a waiter. The bartenders are usually more familiar with what's available.

Thanks poa1. This is what I needed to know. It seems like I need to wait until I'm onboard to decide. I don't really like any of the whites available by the glass - but if I can get Nobilo that makes all the difference.

Of course, each person's tastes vary, but I find HAL's house Chardonnay (name escapes me) "OK" and it is naturally available with the SBP.

On the Navigator package I normally opt for the Dreaming Tree Chardonnay.

On HAL I find the whites to be more drinkable than the reds, especially the house and Navigator package reds.

but when I tasted it at the wine tasting for 4* members I really thought it was not very good and we never open the bottle. See if they have Villa Maria which is a few $ more but much better.

But the point of the OP's post is not which wine is better, but which can be had under the Signature Beverage Package.

Always ask the bartenders if you are looking for something specific. I recommend asking at the bar instead of asking a waiter. The bartenders are usually more familiar with what's available.

Probably best for those on a first name basis with the 'tenders, also :)

Not naming names, of course.

Thx for the random info. The wine list posted above is from 2013. Anybody know if nobilo is onboard now? Or whether it can be had on the sbp?

The wine lists posted above are from our November 2015 Caribbean cruise on the Oosterdam and not from 2013.

Please note that your wine of interest is available on board as both a package and in the Main Dining Room.

You can never be sure just which wines are available. Just because it is on the wine list does not mean they have it in stock. We have had to select two/three wines sometimes before they had one we wanted.

Thx for the random info. The wine list posted above is from 2013. Anybody know if nobilo is onboard now? Or whether it can be had on the sbp?

The wine list above is from late 2015. If you look at the description on Roger's site, it says so. You can also see the date in the PDF's document properties. He probably just FTPs the new file up into the old directory so that links to it don't break. Just because you see /uploads/2013/04/ in the URL line doesn't necessarily mean that the file is from April 2013. The /uploads/2013/04/ is just part of the WordPress default file storage convention.

The wine list above is from late 2015. If you look at the description on Roger's site, it says so. You can also see the date in the PDF's document properties. He probably just FTPs the new file up into the old directory so that links to it don't break. Just because you see /uploads/2013/04/ in the URL line doesn't necessarily mean that the file is from April 2013. The /uploads/2013/04/ is just part of the WordPress default file storage convention.

Huh? :D

Huh? :D

He replaces the old file with a new one that has the same name and is in the same location. It keeps all the old links working. FTP stands for file transfer protocol. It's how you replace the file.

Of course, each person's tastes vary, but I find HAL's house Chardonnay (name escapes me) "OK" and it is naturally available with the SBP.

On the Navigator package I normally opt for the Dreaming Tree Chardonnay.

On HAL I find the whites to be more drinkable than the reds, especially the house and Navigator package reds.

I think it's Santa Carolina - I find it "OK" as well, though the red is disgusting.:eek: and I also quite like the Dreaming Tree and the Beringer. I can usually find something that doesn't cost me my first-born and is acceptable.:D

Villa Maria is quite nice - but priced above the SBP. Cloudy Bay is also nice but I have no idea what a per glass price is.

I have a strong preference for any Marlborough New Zealand sauvignon blanc. I drink Nobilo (and others at home) and I've seen several of these on various menus posted here, including the Admiral's package.

Thanks for the clarification about the date of the information posted. There's no way that i would know that and seeing a date in the link, one assumes that's the date of the file.

Villa Maria is quite nice - but priced above the SBP. Cloudy Bay is also nice but I have no idea what a per glass price is.

I have a strong preference for any Marlborough New Zealand sauvignon blanc. I drink Nobilo (and others at home) and I've seen several of these on various menus posted here' date=' including the Admiral's package.

Thanks for the clarification about the date of the information posted. There's no way that i would know that and seeing a date in the link, one assumes that's the date of the file.[/quote']

No problem. I do a lot of work in WordPress, so I realized what Roger was doing with the file.

You don't have to buy the beverage package ahead of time, so you might want to give the Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc a try. It's on the current bar list at $7 and it rates pretty well. If you like it and buy the package, they'll back out your eligible drinks from your account. I'd try to make the decision as soon as possible, but you have until day 2.