Just Booked --Longyearbyen to Reykjavik 1 Aug 2015

PaulMCO

We we have lots of time and but I am anal planner. :D

So people -- your thoughts on this cruise plus some questions:

1) What Hotel does Silversea typically use for those using Silver Air program. We will likely fly on our own (except for the charter). Was told they use two - either the Grand or the Raddison Blu by the station in Oslo.

2) What Oslo airport do you fly out of to Longyearbyen. (there are three in Oslo) and what time is the flight in the AM.

Guess now we can collect red parkas.. :)

We did this in August 2011. The hotel was the Radisson Blu; we did our own flights and came in a day early. Transportation from the airport was a snap; we took the Flybussen, which terminates its run at the Radisson Hotel. Bought our tickets online before we left, but you can buy them at the bus as well.

There is a faster train from the airport (Flytoget) but that terminates a few blocks from the hotel (plus it was undergoing maintenance when we needed it), so the bus worked better for us.

The charter to Longyearbyen left from Gardermoen. We departed from an International (non-Schengen) gate so we had to pass through passport control before our flight. Even though Svalbard is administered by Norway, it's not part of the Schengen zone. Don't know if the other Oslo-area airports can handle non-Schengen flights.

Have a great time! Your booking this cruise for August 2015 isn't bad - we booked our last Silver Explorer cruise over 2 years in advance. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :D

The red parkas are nice! We still have 2 each; from Antarctica in 2009, which are collector's items because they say "Prince Albert II" and a pair from Svalbard. We wear them all over in the winter - in fact, wore them today!

Edited by jpalbny

We did the reverse trip, from Reykjavik to longyearbyen in 2012. Awesome trip. You will love it. We did our own hotel and transport post cruise in Oslo, but I think most people who did the silversea hotel were at the radisson blu. We saw several friends while we were walking around downtown that evening.

We did our own transport from the airport as well, by taxi. It was fine. Our driver was afghani, and we had fun talking to him as our son had served in Afghanistan.

Please note that there are two (at least) Radisson Blu hotels. One is near the Opera House and the other is near the Palace (it's the one that the Flybussen stops at). We also did our flights and the 2nd hotel on our own and took the flybussen roundtrip from the airport in July 2013. We paid the bus driver with a credit card upon boarding for roundtrip.

Please note that there are two (at least) Radisson Blu hotels. One is near the Opera House and the other is near the Palace (it's the one that the Flybussen stops at). We also did our flights and the 2nd hotel on our own and took the flybussen roundtrip from the airport in July 2013. We paid the bus driver with a credit card upon boarding for roundtrip.

So it the one which is the last stop to hotel and direct back to airport??

This one is at the terminus of the bus route:

Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Oslo

Holbergs gate 30, 0166 Oslo, Norway ‎

It's not a loop, it's a back and forth route with intermediate stops each way. So if you pick it up at the hotel, you'll make all of the same stops before returning to the airport.

But, SS provided transportation back to the airport as part of the charter flight deal when we did this. I'd be very surprised if that's not the case - they don't want all of you getting separated.

Info: http://flybussen.no/en/Oslo

This one is at the terminus of the bus route:

Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Oslo

Holbergs gate 30, 0166 Oslo, Norway ‎

It's not a loop, it's a back and forth route with intermediate stops each way. So if you pick it up at the hotel, you'll make all of the same stops before returning to the airport.

But, SS provided transportation back to the airport as part of the charter flight deal when we did this. I'd be very surprised if that's not the case - they don't want all of you getting separated.

Info: http://flybussen.no/en/Oslo

Thanks Perfect..

• 1 year later...

Are you booking independently or with the pre cruise package?

I know they are definitely using the Grand this coming summer (perhaps 2 levels for pre hotel) as i asked directly and this was the hotel offered. They have just finished a major refurb.

My daughter stayed there in Feb as a post "study in Norway treat". It too is easily accessible and is right near the rail station so the Flytoget train is the best option from the airport. She was very impressed with her stay (and yes she is used to 5* )

Hi JP and Chris-I read your posts and checked out your pictures. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures and helping the CC family.

I read the prior posts and I guess I just need to read your reply and those of others again.

I am struggling with packing and keeping under the one checked bag no greater than 50lbs requirement for the charter flight to Longyearbyen for the Artic Expedition.

Can you further describe the boots available on Ship.

Were they strict about the luggage on the SS charter flight Longyearbyen ?

Sorry for the redundant questions. Any information will help

Hi JP and Chris-I read your posts and checked out your pictures. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures and helping the CC family.

I read the prior posts and I guess I just need to read your reply and those of others again.

I am struggling with packing and keeping under the one checked bag no greater than 50lbs requirement for the charter flight to Longyearbyen for the Artic Expedition.

Can you further describe the boots available on Ship.

Were they strict about the luggage on the SS charter flight Longyearbyen ?

Sorry for the redundant questions. Any information will help

llam, I'll take a shot at your questions but many of my answers could be badly dated as it's been almost 4 years.

I will say that if you're struggling with the <50# restriction you're likely taking more than you need for this trip. Explorer has a laundry room on the 4th deck and the machines are free. Easy to take less and do some laundry. Pack interchangeable clothing that you can layer - a few T-shirts, turtlenecks, and sweaters or sweatshirts. 2 pairs of jeans and some long underwear. That's it.

If you want a few dressier items you can toss those in. You can wear jeans to dinner with a button-down shirt and/or a nice sweater if you want. No need for redundant items, or really fancy clothing. They supply a parka so you don't need to bring one.

I really don't recall any issue with luggage allowances on the charter.

The boot situation was fine - when we were there. They had plenty to go around in most standard sizes. We found perfectly acceptable boots for ourselves, both times; they provided them free for the duration of the cruise. They were pretty simple rubber boots ("gum boots") without much lining or insulation, but they were waterproof and we stayed warm enough.

However, more recent verbiage from SS implies that they're not so excited to be providing this service any longer. They've been discouraging people from relying on this service, and I think I saw something about boot rental - somewhere... So hopefully someone who's been on recently can comment.

Great trip. Enjoy!