Our Last Minute Ecstasy Cruise - 5 days to Bahamas

EBFURR

Hello all, we just returned Monday from our 5 day cruise on Ecstasy. We are long time cruisers but this was only our second Carnival cruise. A little background: Our first cruise was on RCI Majesty of the Seas way back in 1994 when she and the Ecstasy were the newest and biggest ships for their respective cruise lines. They were truly the “mega ships” of their day. We have been back on Majesty many times and as recently as last year. We have also been on RCI's newer and larger ships many times. Our single Carnival cruise was on Sunshine and we like the ship. I always wanted to try a Fantasy class ship to compare it to the Majesty. We like ships of that era since that is where we started. We were not disappointed.

We were originally booked on RCI Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston on Sunday for our (sort of)annual anniversary cruise. Hurricane Harvey put and end to that, so we were stuck with our week off, cruise fever, and no cruise. We live about 3 ½ hours from Charleston and I was able to find one remaining cabin on Ecstasy for the Wednesday August 30 sailing. It was an interior upper/lower versus our balcony on the LOS, but after a short discussion we took it. Better than staying home or going back to work.

We went down to Charleston on Tuesday and stayed at the Hampton Inn West Ashley. I actually looked at the map wrong and thought we were a little closer to the port but it turned out to be fine. The hotel was immaculately clean and the staff was great. It is about 10 minutes from old town and the port. They have a shuttle to the port but we did not use it. After check in we went down to Market Street and wandered around, had some food, and made it an early evening. On cruise day we had the hotel breakfast which was pretty good and got an Uber which was our first ever. It was very pleasant and cost about $12 for the two of us. Our check in time was at 2:00 due to our last minute booking but we got to the port around 9:30 AM and were able to check our luggage with the porters. We walked over to the market and did some shopping, got coffee, etc. Around 11:45 we decided to try our luck with check in since we figured all they could do was turn us away and we would go back across the street to the market area. We went right through and were on board before noon. We hear that some ports are strict on the check in times but we found that not to be the case. After a visit tot he Atrium bar, we went to guest services to inquire about upgrading to a room without the upper/lower bunks. That was not possible, but they offered to put in a roll away bed so that at least we would not have the ladder to deal with so we went with that.

Since the cabins were not ready, we went on up to the Lido where things were starting to get rolling. We explored the upper decks a little, found Serenity, had our first Guys burger (Yum), and mingled a little. We went on down to the cabin a little later to drop off what we were carrying and get ready for muster. The roll away bed was there, but they could not make it into one bed like they normally would. At least we were on the same level. Our muster was in the theater and then we were paraded out to the life boats and stood around out there for a while. Based on our 2 Carnival sailings, I think RCI does a little better job of making the muster painless. I am not real sure how much anybody really gets outof this. Probably about the same as those airline talks, but they have to do it and I suppose there is some value in it. I still think any sort of practical implementation would be mass chaos but I don't really want to find out.

After muster it was back to Lido for sail away. We usually just stand back and watch the sail away festivities but this time we went down into the “pit” and got in on the action. It was really a lot of fun and we wound up meeting some new friends that we would see and hang out with all week.Carnival really does a good job of making sail away a fun time. Lots of times on RCI the ship just starts moving and many people don't even notice. You notice it on Ecstasy and it is a blast. We danced around like we were 30 years younger and made fools of ourselves but that seemed to be the norm. We were off to a blazing start.

More later...

Nice to know you were able to check-in and board before your online check-in time. Was there not much passenger or they did not simply enforce the time requirement.

Will be following along.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was a steady stream and there was definitely a line but it moved along. They did not seem to be looking at the time on the boarding pass. In Norfolk in June they were very strict and also about 2 1/2 hours behind schedule.

Thanks for your review...we love the Fantasy class...we got off as you were getting on:) Ship is showing a bit of wear and tear...but crew and passengers were fantastic....Motown show was good....we really enjoyed our cruise!!

I am back again. I have started several reviews in the past and I tend to run out of steam and never finish. Rather than continue a timeline, I will try to give some highlights, summary and some opinions. I realize that a lot of folks will not share my opinions and that is fine. Really. This is just our view and is not intended to be the final word on anything.

Buffet: This was probably the most disappointing aspect of the cruise. The breakfast was fine with the omelet stations and the usual breakfast fare. The lunch and dinner left a lot to be desired in our opinion based on previous experience. The selection was very limited and often repetitive. We just did not find much that was very good. A lot of times they only had one side open but there was always plenty of seating so that is a plus. We had dinner here twice, once on the first night and on elegant night because we did not feel like getting dressed up. We usually checked out lunch at some point but often went to Guys or the Blue Iguana instead. We found that they had the breakfast buffet set up on the lido between Guys and the BI so we usually went there. I got breakfast burritos from the BI and they are very good. They can make them about a thousand different ways so you can experiment. Top notch. They also have two omelet stations, one on each side. I did not figure this out until later on since the one on the BI side rarely had anyone there and I did not notice it. The one on the guys side always had a line. In the center they had the buffet part with everything that is inside (bacon, eggs, potatoes, etc.) We would go here and get our food and then sit at one of the tables in the Guys area. The coffee is terrible. We find that to be par for cruise ships since they all seem to use those machines with the syrup stuff. Try it if you must, but the Rolls Royce has much better coffee but at a price. You can get juice, water, tea, etc. as well. EDITORIAL: For some reason they tend to play this really annoying music on the lido during breakfast hours. I can only describe it as “new age thrasher music”. Nobody has ever heard any of these “songs” before and I doubt they want to ever again. I suppose the idea is to “energize” but we found it to just be irritating that early in the day. They should play some Caribbean music or even Motown which everybody seems to like. We enjoyed being outside so we just tried to tune it out.

Main Dining: We went three of the five nights and we had the YTD option. We just showed up and never waited more than 2 minutes or so. They did not ask us about table size preference and just put us at a two top which was fine. They have a lot of these but they tend to be very close together so it is almost like being with a group table anyway. This was fine with us and we always had a chat with our neighbors. There is no real privacy though so you will not want to discuss intimate matters (grin). On the first night we had an outstanding staff. They were well coordinated and things went very smoothly and quickly but we did not feel rushed at all. The next two nights we were on the opposite side with another crew (same one both times). They were a bit disorganized and really sloooooowww. The waiter was such a nice guy though. He was very happy and friendly and actually seemed to be having a great time. He would make napkin animals for the kids and when they did the dance thing he was really into it. I mean really into it. Even if you are not a big fan of the dancing waiters you have to smile at this guy. On the down side, he would disappear for long periods, as would his assistant. It took forever for them to come back to take orders and even longer for the food. We saw people come in, sit down, order, eat, and leave before we ever got appetizers. One night his assistant was gone almost the entire time and he had to seat the incoming guests, get the water and bread, and do what the assistant would normally do in addition to his duties. Eventually she showed back up. He always seemed to be hustling when we saw him and he was so nice that we could not complain. Maybe his assistant was new or not feeling well or something. The MDR food was good. Not great, but certainly good by modern cruise ship standards. They have really downsized the portions but you can always order two. I had the escargot and it was very good, better than I have had before. I tended to get the pasta dish and my wife tried different things like the grilled salmon and prime rib. Everything was tasty and well prepared. Despite the slow service we enjoyed our meals in the MDR and saw no reason to complain to management since our waiter seemed to be doing his best. EDITORIAL: We remember the days of only two set dining times and there are pluses and minuses to that. Meals seemed to flow better then since the kitchen and staff could get into a rhythm with appetizers, main, and dessert courses. The YTD (and MTD on RCI) disrupt this rhythm and as a result the service and sometimes the food suffers from it. The upside to YTD is obviously the flexibility and we usually choose it for this reason. We expect things to maybe not be as smooth and roll with it. It does seem that our first crew had a better handle on it though.

Gotta run. More later.

Thanks for your review and feedback. We live in Charleston and will be going on the Ecstacy in October. I'm glad you guys found a cruise to book after your other was cancelled due to the hurricane, and looking forward to following along and reading the rest of your review!

Back after a break. To finish up on the food topic:

Guys Burgers. I can only say that I love these things. Some people criticize them and that is okay. Some compare them unfavorably with 5 Guys on land. We prefer Guys. I have a really hard time passing by when they are open and not grabbing one. I have to exercise self control or I would eat an unhealthy number. I have my formula down and I rarely stray from it although you can really get creative. I will say that I never once waited in line despite the ship being sold out. They have it together at Guys.

Blue Iguana: Again, very good. I sometimes get the breakfast burritos and they are always tasty. We have also gotten the tacos and burritos for lunch and they are very good as well. The tacos are small so stock up. Again, they are fast with little or no wait.

Pizza Pirate: Okay, this is not great pizza. It is okay for a snack but you would never stay in business on land with this pizzeria. Your opinion may vary. I went by several times at various hours and there was never any pizza ready – always a wait even when no line. I was speaking with another guy one day and he said the same thing; no matter when you go there is always a wait even when they are not busy. It seems that they only make one at a time and always peperoni. Well, once I got cheese. On RCI, Sorrentos pizza is really not any better (maybe not as good depending on your taste) but they always seem to have several made up and the wait is not there usually. It seems that RCI has more staff in the pizza area and they make more as demand warrants. I noticed the same wait on Sunshine but even longer although it was a bigger facility. Since pizza is a snack for us and not a meal, this is not a big deal. I am just stating observations and opinion. It is odd that the flow is so much better at Guys and BI.

Bars: They have the Red Frog and Blue Iguana Tequila bars and these are pretty much the standard. Drinks are good and the service can be spotty, especially at peak times. The atrium bar is a Carnival staple that we like. RCI missed it on this with their atriums. Down the City Lights promenade there are a multitude of bars to choose. Most of them are open only at specific times with Metropolis being the one usually open and the most active. It is also the smoking area so if you don't like smoke you will avoid this one. There is a bar at the rear of the buffet area that is never very busy and mostly services the Serenity area via waiters. The former Society Bar is now the Alchemy bar. We were surprised to see that this one was very underutilized during our cruise. The Alchemy drinks are the best we have had and the bartenders are highly skilled and personable. We did find that the Alchemy on Sunshine did appear to be more popular. The Sunshine bartenders tended to put on more of show and the whole experience was very cool. The Ecstasy bartenders were very proficient and friendly but tended to just make the drinks without the showmanship. We made a daily stop here and recommend it. There seemed to be more roving bar waiters on this cruise than I have seen lately. They were everywhere it seemed which was handy if you are thirsty. We noticed that, like on Sunshine, the bars themselves seemed to be understaffed a lot of the time which made the wait long sometimes. The bartenders tended to be overworked and were not as friendly and outgoing in general as they were in the past. No one was rude but they did not seem as outgoing in a lot of cases. This has also been the case on our royal cruises lately. My theory is that this is because of the drink packages and the desire from the cruise lines to serve fewer drinks under the plan. They cut back on staff which has the desired effect. As a result, the bartenders are working harder and possibly making less in tips. We did not get Cheers and I always tip a dollar or two in cash because I think these people work very hard and do a great job. It seemed to me that there were fewer people that had Cheers on this cruise than on Sunshine but maybe that was due to a lot of first time guests that did not know about it. The staff wore the little Cheers badges but I did not see a lot of effort to sell the package on board. All said, the bar staff works hard and we never went thirsty. Tip: At Alchemy Bar try The Remedy.

More later....

Continued...

Entertainment: Like food, this is a very subjective area. We are not big on production shows and did not go to any. We enjoy the comedy shows a lot and appreciate that Carnival has a dedicated venue, Punchliner, for this. Sunshine had two comedians who rotated on the 5 days but Ecstasy had one guy all week and he was pretty funny. We saw two of his shows and both were good. We tend to go to the later ones and they are definitely adult oriented. We laughed a lot in spite of ourselves which seemed to be the norm. Do not sit up front if you don't want to be in the show. The venue on Ecstasy seemed to be larger than sunshine and was laid out better for sure. It does tend to fill up so be early, but this is not as much of an issue as on Sunshine. They had live entertainers in the atrium and in the metropolis pretty much continuously in the evenings and there was some rotation between the two. There was a band that was sort of hit & miss in our opinion. There was a steel drum solo artist who had a great voice and was outstanding. He was better suited to the atrium than the noisy metropolis though. There was a guitar/singer solo guy. We avoided him. One thing we miss from Royal is the Caribbean pool band. The pool area is more DJ oriented and there is almost always music going. Some we liked and some not so much but I give credit for playing a variety and trying to get in something for everybody. The aforementioned breakfast music could go though. We really like the evening sing alongs and music trivia in the atrium. The Motown evening is by far the best attended and most fun. Do not miss it. We did not visit the disco or the karaoke but they seemed to be popular. There was always some sort of trivia going on on the city promenade it seemed and there was a lot of participation. One thing missing on this ship is a sports bar. Being the first weekend of college football, there were a lot of guys looking for this. They had a small TV in the rear of the buffet and people gathered around that to see their game. There are a couple of larger ones in Rolls Royce area that had a crowd at game time. Neither of these is well suited for group viewing and I would expect the Carnival might make provisions in one of the bar areas for sports fans. One thing I noticed was that the picture quality on all of the TVs was not very good. In this age of HD and Ultra HD the picture reminded me of rabbit ears and aluminum foil. Some of you will know what I mean. We do not go on cruises to watch TV, so it is not a deal breaker. It would be good to have an area to view the games especially if the weather outside was not so good. Overall we like the way Carnival does entertainment. There is a variety and always something happening somewhere, usually multiple things. Carnival is very group oriented and tends to have more passenger involvement which I think adds to the cruise experience. The staff on this ship did a great job of keeping things rolling all cruise long.

More to come...

I'm just about to start my review of this same cruise. It's always interesting to read the thoughts of others who were on the same sailing.

Want to see what you thought of the ports, specifically Princess Cays.

P.S. I hadn't been on a Fantasy-class ship in 4 years (now have over 50 nights on them, I think) and realized how much I miss them! This was Carnival #27 for me. I love the size. Don't need a steak house (although I enjoy them). Glad there's no huge, blaring TV on the pool deck. Honestly believe the service and food is better on the Fantasy-class ships. OK. I'll put all this in my own review thread!

I'm just about to start my review of this same cruise. It's always interesting to read the thoughts of others who were on the same sailing.

Want to see what you thought of the ports, specifically Princess Cays.

P.S. I hadn't been on a Fantasy-class ship in 4 years (now have over 50 nights on them, I think) and realized how much I miss them! This was Carnival #27 for me. I love the size. Don't need a steak house (although I enjoy them). Glad there's no huge, blaring TV on the pool deck. Honestly believe the service and food is better on the Fantasy-class ships. OK. I'll put all this in my own review thread!

I'm curious about Princess Cay as well. We've never been there and will be going there in February for our 20th anniversary. We haven't been on Fantasy class in about 15 years, so we will definitely be in for a different cruise. Just looking to relax w one another without kids [emoji6] and eat my share of Guys burgers... my fav!

Looking forward to your review!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Back for another round..

Ports of call: We have been to Royal's private “islands” more than a few times and most of the time we just stay on the ship now and enjoy the less crowded public areas. We decided to try Princess Cay since we had not been there before, but we were in no hurry to debark. By 10 AM or so they were no longer requiring the tender stickers and allowed free form boarding but we had stopped by Rolls Royce and picked up some already. We boarded and the top was getting full so we were directed inside which we thought was good since it was shaded. Actually, while we waited for the tender to fill it was pretty hot in there since there was no air circulation. We waited about 15-20 min and then got under way with a full house. It is a short ride but we stopped a couple of times due to traffic at the dock. After debarking we went left as most people did although there is a smaller area to the right of the dock as well. The area is a fairly long stretch of beach area and the developed part is not really very wide. There are lots and lots of chairs so getting a spot is not a problem even if you come late. There is not a lot of shade compared to Royal's islands so finding a spot that is not in direct sun can be a problem. Take lots of sunscreen. There are some structures with chairs underneath but those will fill up early. Apparently lots of folks had towels and personal items that are extremely sun sensitive so those were safely kept in the shaded chairs. We walked almost down to the end and found a couple of chairs beneath some small trees that offered some shade and used those. The farther you go from the dock the less crowded it becomes. The primary activity seems to be snorkeling or lounging in the water and there are plenty of supplies available for rent to that end. They have water toys for rent as well and they were in use but we saw no shortages of those either. There are some bars set up here and there and they have a limited selection compared to on board but you can quench your thirst. We opted for water at first but I did get one of the frozen concoctions in the plastic souvenir thing so that I had some evidence of our visit. Carnival does not seem to do the special island drink of the day like Royal (Coco Loco or Labadoozie) but they have a few of the staple drinks available. We lounged a bit in the beautiful surroundings for a while then went to check out the buffet (removing our stuff from the chairs in case someone else wanted to use them) but the lines were very long. We decided to just head on back to Ecstasy. We got a nice upstairs seat on the shaded upper deck of the tender. At this point they were just shuttling back and forth without waiting for the tenders to completely fill so it was a quick and pleasant trip. Carnival does a good job with the tenders. Princess Cay is a nice beach and it is a fine spot for a beach day. We think we prefer Royal's Islands which are more spread out and have more shady areas, but there is nothing wrong with this spot. Oh yes, and Royal has lots of hammocks which we did not find if there are any here. Back on board we found an empty pool so we went in for a while for the only time on the cruise. The pool was pretty much full at other times. Red frog only had a couple of customers so it was a prime time to enjoy the bar.

Freeport: We have been here once, a couple of months back so we knew what to expect. After breakfast we wandered down to deck 3 and off the ship. My first order of business was to get another Freeport Harley shirt which was taken care of. I also needed another T-shirt since for once I did not bring many and the one I had on was unbearably hot. I found a nice, big, thin one for $6 and was able to cool down. We walked around the vendor sites but did not buy anything else. We did not take any excursions or tours although there were plenty of options available. If you have not been here, let me say that there is really not much here at the docks. They have some souvenir vendors and food stands & a couple of bars. I got myself an diet coke and a cup of ice which was refreshing. After a couple of laps around the area we visited Fat Tuesday for a frozen drink and then walked over to Senor Frogs next door. There was a small but happy crowd there and the DJ did a fine job of keeping things lively. The number of people ebbed and flowed and there was never anything close to a full house. The DJ found out that it was our 35th anniversary (actually back on Monday) and he kept announcing it and encouraging us to participate. We finally got up and did the Dollar Wine dance and the party train around the floor where they poured weak tequila shots down your throat. We were there for a few hours and eventually returned to the ship. Again the crowds were sparse. We had another Guys burger. We found the best chairs in the Serenity area which are right in front of the towel station. They are shaded by the deck above and there is actually some cold (cool) air blowing on you. We had a good view of the Elation in dry dock and used our binoculars (we always forget we have them) to watch the activity. There were a lot of cranes lifting containers on & off and we got to see them lift part of the new deck structure into place. I posted some photos on the Elation dry dock thread. This was another fine day although we did not really do much of anything in the port. There may be some great things to do in Freeport but we tend to just chill out in the Bahamas and this was a perfect day for that.

Back later..

Back for another round..

Ports of call: We have been to Royal's private “islands” more than a few times and most of the time we just stay on the ship now and enjoy the less crowded public areas. We decided to try Princess Cay since we had not been there before, but we were in no hurry to debark. By 10 AM or so they were no longer requiring the tender stickers and allowed free form boarding but we had stopped by Rolls Royce and picked up some already. We boarded and the top was getting full so we were directed inside which we thought was good since it was shaded. Actually, while we waited for the tender to fill it was pretty hot in there since there was no air circulation. We waited about 15-20 min and then got under way with a full house. It is a short ride but we stopped a couple of times due to traffic at the dock. After debarking we went left as most people did although there is a smaller area to the right of the dock as well. The area is a fairly long stretch of beach area and the developed part is not really very wide. There are lots and lots of chairs so getting a spot is not a problem even if you come late. There is not a lot of shade compared to Royal's islands so finding a spot that is not in direct sun can be a problem. Take lots of sunscreen. There are some structures with chairs underneath but those will fill up early. Apparently lots of folks had towels and personal items that are extremely sun sensitive so those were safely kept in the shaded chairs. We walked almost down to the end and found a couple of chairs beneath some small trees that offered some shade and used those. The farther you go from the dock the less crowded it becomes. The primary activity seems to be snorkeling or lounging in the water and there are plenty of supplies available for rent to that end. They have water toys for rent as well and they were in use but we saw no shortages of those either. There are some bars set up here and there and they have a limited selection compared to on board but you can quench your thirst. We opted for water at first but I did get one of the frozen concoctions in the plastic souvenir thing so that I had some evidence of our visit. Carnival does not seem to do the special island drink of the day like Royal (Coco Loco or Labadoozie) but they have a few of the staple drinks available. We lounged a bit in the beautiful surroundings for a while then went to check out the buffet (removing our stuff from the chairs in case someone else wanted to use them) but the lines were very long. We decided to just head on back to Ecstasy. We got a nice upstairs seat on the shaded upper deck of the tender. At this point they were just shuttling back and forth without waiting for the tenders to completely fill so it was a quick and pleasant trip. Carnival does a good job with the tenders. Princess Cay is a nice beach and it is a fine spot for a beach day. We think we prefer Royal's Islands which are more spread out and have more shady areas, but there is nothing wrong with this spot. Oh yes, and Royal has lots of hammocks which we did not find if there are any here. Back on board we found an empty pool so we went in for a while for the only time on the cruise. The pool was pretty much full at other times. Red frog only had a couple of customers so it was a prime time to enjoy the bar.

Freeport: We have been here once, a couple of months back so we knew what to expect. After breakfast we wandered down to deck 3 and off the ship. My first order of business was to get another Freeport Harley shirt which was taken care of. I also needed another T-shirt since for once I did not bring many and the one I had on was unbearably hot. I found a nice, big, thin one for $6 and was able to cool down. We walked around the vendor sites but did not buy anything else. We did not take any excursions or tours although there were plenty of options available. If you have not been here, let me say that there is really not much here at the docks. They have some souvenir vendors and food stands & a couple of bars. I got myself an diet coke and a cup of ice which was refreshing. After a couple of laps around the area we visited Fat Tuesday for a frozen drink and then walked over to Senor Frogs next door. There was a small but happy crowd there and the DJ did a fine job of keeping things lively. The number of people ebbed and flowed and there was never anything close to a full house. The DJ found out that it was our 35th anniversary (actually back on Monday) and he kept announcing it and encouraging us to participate. We finally got up and did the Dollar Wine dance and the party train around the floor where they poured weak tequila shots down your throat. We were there for a few hours and eventually returned to the ship. Again the crowds were sparse. We had another Guys burger. We found the best chairs in the Serenity area which are right in front of the towel station. They are shaded by the deck above and there is actually some cold (cool) air blowing on you. We had a good view of the Elation in dry dock and used our binoculars (we always forget we have them) to watch the activity. There were a lot of cranes lifting containers on & off and we got to see them lift part of the new deck structure into place. I posted some photos on the Elation dry dock thread. This was another fine day although we did not really do much of anything in the port. There may be some great things to do in Freeport but we tend to just chill out in the Bahamas and this was a perfect day for that.

Back later..

Do you ride?

Enjoying your review. We sail on the Ecstasy next month. Do they enforce the dress code on elegant night?

We went to the buffet on Elegant night. We took the clothes but did not feel like getting dressed up. It appeared that there were a variety of levels though from what we saw. some people did it up and some were more casual. Overall this was a very casual cruise. It seems to be going in that direction on all the mainstream lines.

Nice. The boss lady rides here own so we have 2 Road Glide Specials, 2 Road King Specials, and she just got the new Fat Bob S 114.

We always buy a shirt at the Harley store in the Islands although we never found any that sold or rented them.

Wow, I had a softail but I had to trade it on the glide. I wish I could have kept it but my bike budget would not allow it. I also try to get a shirt from each port. On Royal, Captain Johnny Favelin keeps his Harley on board and gets it out to ride when in port. He is a great captain!

Wow, I had a softail but I had to trade it on the glide. I wish I could have kept it but my bike budget would not allow it. I also try to get a shirt from each port. On Royal, Captain Johnny Favelin keeps his Harley on board and gets it out to ride when in port. He is a great captain!

I had the Fat Boy S and my lady Slim S but we traded in on the two Road King Specials.

The 2018 Fat Bob S 114 is the new Softail.