Pebble's Rad Grad Trip

dexddd

Was the sofa bed comfortable?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

It was actually. The room is only for 3 but 2 of our group slept on it and it was pretty comfy. Our bed was not one of the best though.

Both rooms had beds that could separate for the 5% of the cruise population that wants that (based solely on how often that question seems to get asked).

I wish :D It would be $41,000 :eek:

I am thinking the SJ Family Suites will work for the kids. One has a family of 6 and one has a family of 5. With such little ones it would be nice to not have a balcony.

Not sure what I will book for DH and I yet...maybe the SG so we can have a balcony and be near the kiddos.

A couple more things about MSC. To us there wasn't any feel of cutting corners on items whether it be the ship or food - only exception being the toiletries but that is minor. We were told the two family members split functions - one designs the inside of the ship and the other the overall outside and ship design. Definitely a different "feel" than on NCL.

The ship also felt in areas like the BA (inside) but is very elegant. They have more pools and it felt less crowded in those areas.

Good luck on your trip. I know you had the hot box DOS on the Dawn so you know about those outer DOS on Star/Dawn. We had one of the outer DOS on Star but it was to Alaska but we never got hot. I'm thinking they've fixed that problem as I haven't read much about that in a few years. From our experience the area on 12 there is pretty quiet so your family should have a great time.

It was actually. The room is only for 3 but 2 of our group slept on it and it was pretty comfy. Our bed was not one of the best though.

Both rooms had beds that could separate for the 5% of the cruise population that wants that (based solely on how often that question seems to get asked).

That's awesome to hear as we have 4 in one room and if the sofa bed is comfy my wife and I may take is as the king may be split for the kids.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dex

Thank you for posting this review and all the wonderful pictures.

I was led to this thread after searching about YC dining for 2. Can't wait to experience this in December for the Seaside inaugural.

I read in one of your posts that it was easy to use Tapatalk to post pictures. I don't post pictures on CC but if you can explain the steps, I will be sure to do so using Tapatalk on the next cruise. :cool:

I read ...that it was easy to use Tapatalk to post pictures. I don't post pictures on CC but if you can explain the steps, I will be sure to do so using Tapatalk on the next cruise. :cool:

I can only upload photos here using Tapatalk on my phone (actually I use the CruiseCritic app which I find easier, though it's a version of Tapatalk). Once you choose the thread you are replying on, there's a symbol shown similar to a couple of mountains (or the letter M with one side shorter than the other). When you click on that, it brings you to your photos on your phone, you select the one you want, click send and it uploads as a link into the reply. Once you 'send' the reply, it shows on the forum in photo form.

I don't know if that's a help - I'm not very good with instructions. There is a very helpful forum, Photo & Camera Discussions on this site where I learned how to do it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Hi Dex

Thank you for posting this review and all the wonderful pictures.

I was led to this thread after searching about YC dining for 2. Can't wait to experience this in December for the Seaside inaugural.

I read in one of your posts that it was easy to use Tapatalk to post pictures. I don't post pictures on CC but if you can explain the steps, I will be sure to do so using Tapatalk on the next cruise. :cool:

Thanks.

Off the top of my head, get the Tapatalk app, register, pick your forum (similar to here on CC). Start a post like here. Your phone will have options with icons like take a picture which will post in the forum (you can take several all in same thread).

Also you can grab pictures from your already taken photo album on your phone.

I don't type much on phone since I can type much faster on computer so that is why you see I have several pics then a narrative later on.

Have fun on your trip.

Thanks.

Off the top of my head, get the Tapatalk app, register, pick your forum (similar to here on CC). Start a post like here. Your phone will have options with icons like take a picture which will post in the forum (you can take several all in same thread).

Also you can grab pictures from your already taken photo album on your phone.

I don't type much on phone since I can type much faster on computer so that is why you see I have several pics then a narrative later on.

Have fun on your trip.

I can only upload photos here using Tapatalk on my phone (actually I use the CruiseCritic app which I find easier, though it's a version of Tapatalk). Once you choose the thread you are replying on, there's a symbol shown similar to a couple of mountains (or the letter M with one side shorter than the other). When you click on that, it brings you to your photos on your phone, you select the one you want, click send and it uploads as a link into the reply. Once you 'send' the reply, it shows on the forum in photo form.

I don't know if that's a help - I'm not very good with instructions. There is a very helpful forum, Photo & Camera Discussions on this site where I learned how to do it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Thank you Bea and Dex. Very helpful!

Wait, now I do! It needs clicking on the plus!

Oh, good! :)

I was delighted to learn out easy it is for my Meraviglia review - so glad I did! The photos of menus & food proved very popular. I was able to show Norwegian Cruiser (who we met onboard) how to do it, too, as he had the same phone as me.

Wait, now I do! It needs clicking on the plus!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes it shows the icons and other times you have to expand via the +.

I don't recall off the top of my head when it switches or why it switches but I vaguely recall it being tied to if you are replying in a thread or not.

Hi. Thanks so much for your review. Im another RCCL/NCL poster giving YC a try on Seaside. Can I ask you if you tip the YC personnel as you would in the Haven. I dont see too much talk about that. Also is it correct that your post said you there is a fee for lobster in YC? Im happy it is at least on the menu.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. Thanks so much for your review. Im another RCCL/NCL poster giving YC a try on Seaside. Can I ask you if you tip the YC personnel as you would in the Haven. I dont see too much talk about that. Also is it correct that your post said you there is a fee for lobster in YC? Im happy it is at least on the menu.

Thanks.

We are regular Haven folks. Most of what I read here slants to no or low tipping since the folks are already included in the $12.50 pp/pd DSC. MSC site also says no need to tip.

We did tip butler, waiter, and one bartender because they were great. Concierges rotate and we really didn't use them for anything. Never saw room steward as he was very efficient.

Lobster in the pics above were free in YC. We had it as app and dinner per waiter suggestion. Lobster in MDR was a charge.

Thanks.

We are regular Haven folks. Most of what I read here slants to no or low tipping since the folks are already included in the $12.50 pp/pd DSC. MSC site also says no need to tip.

We did tip butler, waiter, and one bartender because they were great. Concierges rotate and we really didn't use them for anything. Never saw room steward as he was very efficient.

Lobster in the pics above were free in YC. We had it as app and dinner per waiter suggestion. Lobster in MDR was a charge.

Excellent. Thank you. I "see" you on the NCL threads so I was very happy to see your review on MSC. I will make sure I have money set aside for bartender (certainly a MUST lol), butler and waiter. They give our vacation that something extra. Happy to read about the lobster, it looked good in your pictures. Was it served each evening? Cannot wait!

Just a question for you NCL folks, we are sailimg with them first time Next year, and it is all inclusive, including tips. But do we tip regardless? We did in YC at the end of our trip. We're European, we have different customs here when it comes to tipping, don't want to put my foot wrong! We are not in Haven, I don't think it was offered on this ship (Star).

Excellent. Thank you. I "see" you on the NCL threads so I was very happy to see your review on MSC. I will make sure I have money set aside for bartender (certainly a MUST lol), butler and waiter. They give our vacation that something extra. Happy to read about the lobster, it looked good in your pictures. Was it served each evening? Cannot wait!

YC meals had set items each night and then others were "specials" for the night. Lobster was only offered one night.

Bartenders also rotated in the YC but we found one to be extra special so we tipped. You will run across many people serving in YC and restaurant it is really your decision who, if anyone, to tip.

Just a question for you NCL folks, we are sailimg with them first time Next year, and it is all inclusive, including tips. But do we tip regardless? We did in YC at the end of our trip. We're European, we have different customs here when it comes to tipping, don't want to put my foot wrong! We are not in Haven, I don't think it was offered on this ship (Star).

Hi Lou. Entirely up to you. You'll run across bartenders possibly all over the ship so entirely up to you but not required and you don't need to feel bad if you don't tip any bartenders.

Right, Star doesn't have a Haven. You'll have breakfast and lunch in Moderno if you choose.