8-day crossings

jimmybean

In 2014, our crossing was 7 days. In 2015, we are now booked to cross in 8-days.

Time on the QM2 is always pleasant and the fare was good, so no complaints.

I just wonder when this change came about. I was off the cruise critic boards for several months. Maybe, there was discussion of lengthening transatlantic voyages that I missed. ???

Or, maybe I didn't pay enough attention in the past, thinking a crossing is a crossing is a crossing...

Is this the first year for 8-day crossings?

Maybe, this is the reason cc members have complained about the QM2 never displaying her maximum speed. Slowing down for 8-day crossing we will be practically coasting...

In 2014, our crossing was 7 days. In 2015, we are now booked to cross in 8-days.

I just wonder when this change came about. I was off the cruise critic boards for several months. Maybe, there was discussion of lengthening transatlantic voyages that I missed. ???

Or, maybe I didn't pay enough attention in the past, thinking a crossing is a crossing is a crossing...

Maybe, this is the reason cc members have complained about the QM2 never displaying her maximum speed. Slowing down for 8-day crossing we will be practically coasting...

Before 2014 the crossings where 6 days. The main thing is that by slowing down the amount of fuel used is reduced . On a six day crossing they had to do 27 knots to make the schedule. Increasing to 7 days then 8 days the fuel use is reduced. Fuel use goes up in a non linear function to the speed.

Exact savings you'll have to talk to someone more familiar to ship design.

The best analogy I can give . A driving at 60 mph does 10 mpg . If you increase speed by 10 mph the it will do 14 mpg . An increase of 40% in gas . Ships are similiar.

Before 2014 the crossings where 6 days. The main thing is that by slowing down the amount of fuel used is reduced . On a six day crossing they had to do 27 knots to make the schedule. Increasing to 7 days then 8 days the fuel use is reduced. Fuel use goes up in a non linear function to the speed.

Exact savings you'll have to talk to someone more familiar to ship design.

The best analogy I can give . A driving at 60 mph does 10 mpg . If you increase speed by 10 mph the it will do 14 mpg . An increase of 40% in gas . Ships are similiar.

I understand the reasoning, Kamloops, (which you have stated very nicely) I just don't know when the additional day was added… If there were SOME of the crossings in past years at this length or if 8-days is brand new with 2015 itineraries.

The crossings haven't been six-days since ??? about 2008 or 2009 ??? long before 2014.

(As a side note, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned before, DH and I drove through Kamloops, years ago, going from Seattle to Lake Louise. Very beautiful countryside you live in!!!!)

Next year it might be 10 day crossings.:eek: Ultimately, you will board the ship in Southampton, stay on board for a week then get off. Never leave the dock. Just think of the fuel saved!:D:D

There were a few 8 day crossings in 2013 and 2014 so 2015 would not be the first year for this arrangement although in those years 7 days was the norm.

More time on board is great but 8 nights seems untidy and can start eating into a second week of vacation time depending on plans. I wouldn't think 7 v 8 days would too noticeable in respect of the sensation of speed but for anyone like me, who remembers 5 and 6 day crossings it does feel rather plodding. My last 6 day crossing was 2010 although I recall that they were doing some 7 day crossings that year.

I've also read, it could have been on cruise critic, that in addition to fuel savings slower means less wear and stress on the propulsion systems.

M-AR

Edited by Mid-Atlantic Ridge

There were a few 8 day crossings in 2013 and 2014 so 2015 would not be the first year for this arrangement although in those years 7 days was the norm.

More time on board is great but 8 nights seems untidy and can start eating into a second week of vacation time depending on plans. I wouldn't think 7 v 8 days would too noticeable in respect of the sensation of speed but for anyone like me, who remembers 5 and 6 day crossings it does feel rather plodding. My last 6 day crossing was 2010 although I recall that they were doing some 7 day crossings that year.

I've also read, it could have been on cruise critic, that in addition to fuel savings slower means less wear and stress on the propulsion systems.

M-AR

Thank you, Mid-Atlantic-Ridge, for answering my question with your good memory.

They must have been tinkering with the voyage length, while I was only paying attention to voyages we actually booked in past years.

…Really, I was happy with 7 days, but 8 won't kill me, I guess : ) And, I'm all for keeping the propulsion system in good order.

You are correct about the wear on the pod systems. While they are capable of making QM2 touch 30 knots, they do not last long at that speed. This is a problem for all pods so far. They just are not capable of the long haul high speeds as were the shaft and propeller drives that went millions of miles on countless ships. The real reason for putting up with pod drives (aside from maneuverability) is that it frees up a great deal of valuable interior hull space that can be used for more cabins, etc.

We also had an 8-day crossing on QM2 from NY in November, 2013 and as it was our first, didn't realise at the time that this was not the norm. Thoroughly enjoyable either way.

I'm learning that variation seems to be the norm... The fact that five of our six previous crossings were all 7-day sailings, evidently, was happenstance.

There were other options, all along, but DH and I just didn't seem to run into any…

No complaints about 8 days on the QM2 : )

You are correct about the wear on the pod systems. While they are capable of making QM2 touch 30 knots, they do not last long at that speed. This is a problem for all pods so far. They just are not capable of the long haul high speeds as were the shaft and propeller drives that went millions of miles on countless ships. The real reason for putting up with pod drives (aside from maneuverability) is that it frees up a great deal of valuable interior hull space that can be used for more cabins, etc.

Thank you for adding the interesting additional information.

I have been on QM2 when she was running in excess of 30 knots and it was impressive. It was late in the evening when many of the hotel functions were wound down and I have always assumed with a following sea. The churn over the back rail gave the sense of real power as did the wind generated across the decks. For reference, we were going from Fort Lauderdale to the southern Caribbean it wasn't a TA which is the main topic of the thread.

M-AR

Thank you, Mid-Atlantic-Ridge, for answering my question with your good memory.

They must have been tinkering with the voyage length, while I was only paying attention to voyages we actually booked in past years.

…Really, I was happy with 7 days, but 8 won't kill me, I guess : ) And, I'm all for keeping the propulsion system in good order.

My pleasure, it occurs to me by the fact that I have completed 5, 6 and 7 day crossings means I ought to do an 8 day TA to collect the set. :)

M-AR

Passenger expenditure per sea day is surprisingly constant regardless of sail dates and frequency, and the ship is continually at sea during the season - so even if she sailed faster and added an additional cruise with all those saved days it wouldn't affect revenue significantly - she just needs to be at sea to make money.

Keep feeding them rich, salty food and push the bar sales - while at the same time cutting down on fuel consumption.

I guarantee you that Cunard (Carnival) monitors fuel usage and alcohol sales with equal scrutiny but I would be fascinated to see the change in bar sales per passenger mile as the younger crowd in summer gives way to the older brigade on the winter sailings (at least I assume the winter sailings are for the seniors).

I would love to load some of those numbers into an analytical tool like Tableau and view the results, especially since that's my job :D

It's Because the transatlantic itinerary is a vacation and not pure transport. 6 day crossings were too short for a "vacation". I just did an 8night crossing in Victoria and loved the extra day. And sailing from Saturday to Sunday was perfect. Sailing slower saves fuel costs so it adds up to full ships with lower costs (and hopefully happier passengers like me !)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pleasure, it occurs to me by the fact that I have completed 5, 6 and 7 day crossings means I ought to do an 8 day TA to collect the set. :)

M-AR

Yes, you should, Mid-Atlantic : ) Happy Sailing!

Passenger expenditure per sea day is surprisingly constant regardless of sail dates and frequency, and the ship is continually at sea during the season - so even if she sailed faster and added an additional cruise with all those saved days it wouldn't affect revenue significantly - she just needs to be at sea to make money.

Keep feeding them rich, salty food and push the bar sales - while at the same time cutting down on fuel consumption.

I guarantee you that Cunard (Carnival) monitors fuel usage and alcohol sales with equal scrutiny but I would be fascinated to see the change in bar sales per passenger mile as the younger crowd in summer gives way to the older brigade on the winter sailings (at least I assume the winter sailings are for the seniors).

I would love to load some of those numbers into an analytical tool like Tableau and view the results, especially since that's my job :D

I agree, Winchester Ranger. Cunard (and Carnival) analyze our every behavior and have fine-tuned all their business decisions accordingly. It WOULD be interesting to know exactly what they have learned about us!

Your postings have added such enthusiasm to the Cunard CC board : ) I don't think you will find your crossing a disappointment.

It's Because the transatlantic itinerary is a vacation and not pure transport. 6 day crossings were too short for a "vacation". I just did an 8night crossing in Victoria and loved the extra day. And sailing from Saturday to Sunday was perfect. Sailing slower saves fuel costs so it adds up to full ships with lower costs (and hopefully happier passengers like me !)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Rob, I am always happy to see your postings! You make an excellent point and made me think of another advantage: more time for me to adjust to the five hour time change!

Jimmybean

I've been looking at TA's that stop in Halifax, and they are eight-day cruises. Does your cruise stop anywhere or is is direct NY - Southampton or reverse?

Hi Tampa Girl: No stops in any port on our crossing. Just eight glorious days at sea!

(I wouldn't have minded visiting Halifax myself, but am not opposed to "just another sea day" either)