First cruise with costa, AND I'M SCARED!

namwicha

Years ago I researched Costa and decided it wasn't for me, so I can't comment on any aspects of life on board. However some points raised here are interesting.

Tipping. It seems that tips are compulsory and can't be removed (is that true) Not good in comparison to most other lines where if I get poor service I can remove tips.

In a word .. No .. (good research though :rolleyes:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I am a Brit but have lived in both Spain and France for many years. Costa is wonderful, honestly, you just need to relax and go with the flow. Don't get uptight about different people's manners (this applies to ALL nationalities and is more a question of upbringing than nationality) and do as another replier suggested, go early or late to the buffet restaurant. Don't be in too much of a hurry for anything, be it breakfast, drinks, booking tours or customer services, as this is a HUGE and busy ship.

You will be served and looked after very warmly when your turn does come. Keep cool, be laid back and you will have a FANTASTIC time.

We are a couple of oldies but we LOVE the non-stop movement, activity and NOISE!! You can always retreat to your wonderful comfortable spotless cabin if you feel overwhelmed! It does get a little bit too noisy at times but you soon learn when and where to avoid the places which are not to your own particular taste.

Costa in our opinion is fab, it is fantastic value for money and offers amazing itineraries. OK, the food can be a bit hit or miss but you will certainly NEVER go hungry or thirsty.

Everything you need to know will be readily available once you are on board so try not to get too stressed beforehand. Italians (and other Europeans like the Spanish) are kind, warm hearted and fun loving people and we have always found them friendly and polite. Their social hours, particularly regarding children, are different to the Brits and Americans perhaps but they are used to longer, sunnier more social living than us so embrace the difference and you'll really enjoy your holiday.

We are sure you'll have a great time and we wish you a brilliant cruise.

Hi there

I am a Brit but have lived in both Spain and France for many years. Costa is wonderful, honestly, you just need to relax and go with the flow. Don't get uptight about different people's manners (this applies to ALL nationalities and is more a question of upbringing than nationality) and do as another replier suggested, go early or late to the buffet restaurant. Don't be in too much of a hurry for anything, be it breakfast, drinks, booking tours or customer services, as this is a HUGE and busy ship.

You will be served and looked after very warmly when your turn does come. Keep cool, be laid back and you will have a FANTASTIC time.

We are a couple of oldies but we LOVE the non-stop movement, activity and NOISE!! You can always retreat to your wonderful comfortable spotless cabin if you feel overwhelmed! It does get a little bit too noisy at times but you soon learn when and where to avoid the places which are not to your own particular taste.

Costa in our opinion is fab, it is fantastic value for money and offers amazing itineraries. OK, the food can be a bit hit or miss but you will certainly NEVER go hungry or thirsty.

Everything you need to know will be readily available once you are on board so try not to get too stressed beforehand. Italians (and other Europeans like the Spanish) are kind, warm hearted and fun loving people and we have always found them friendly and polite. Their social hours, particularly regarding children, are different to the Brits and Americans perhaps but they are used to longer, sunnier more social living than us so embrace the difference and you'll really enjoy your holiday.

We are sure you'll have a great time and we wish you a brilliant cruise.

We couldn't agree more bobbingbob, well said.

Thank you Bazboy. I agreed with everything you said in your very comprehensive reply, too, and it's great that people take the time to give honest and informative reviews and replies as forewarned is forearmed.

We've also given up tea entirely when we go out anywhere but still enjoy it at home. (Mercadona sell Tetley and PG tips teabags which is great but finding decent Earl Grey is virtually impossible).

We did see two fantastic shows in the theatre on Fascoinosa on our last cruise, one was called Russian ballet and the other was two opera singers, a tenor and a baritone. We'd also seen another great singer, Stefano Milano, on the Diadema last year. These were all high quality and we were delighted to have something more to our taste although we do usually go along to see what is on offer but may slip out discreetly.

We've already booked our next Costa cruise so that says it all. Ciao.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never cruised with Costa either (but have with NCL,RCLL, Carnival, P&O) and am just wondering--during cooler months in Europe do the keep the dining room and other communal areas warmer?

I usually find dining rooms to vary between 'just right' and 'freezing' as they tend to blast the air conditioning! Just hoping this isn't the case on our upcoming Delizioza cruise from Venice!

Any guidance gratefully received!

I have never cruised with Costa either (but have with NCL,RCLL, Carnival, P&O) and am just wondering--during cooler months in Europe do the keep the dining room and other communal areas warmer?

I usually find dining rooms to vary between 'just right' and 'freezing' as they tend to blast the air conditioning! Just hoping this isn't the case on our upcoming Delizioza cruise from Venice!

Any guidance gratefully received!

If sailing in January / February time frame, you will be supplied with ice pick and crampons to get through the blizzards blowing in the MDR.;)

Seroiusly, temperature is like the food in the MDR very subjective. The answer is layers (clothing) to put on or peel off as required.

I have been known to freeze (even in high summer) as soon as dear MIL knocks on the cab door. :D

HI everyone, thank you for all your comments, good and bad. We're booked on this cruise Jan.4th, Have sailed with Costa twice before B2B. out of Venice in 2010. We're also booked on MSC on the 19th. Like Namwicha, we've had our concerns, after reading different reviews, but then there's been some good reviews too, so we will " go with the flow". We usually drive down to Florida and cruise from there, on Celebrity, HAL, RCCL, but decided to try the Med again for a different intinary. I have two questions if someone can answer for me.

1). Re buffet in the evening, we like to eat supper around 5.30pm, so some times have it at the buffet, instead of in the MDR. I have read that the buffet isn't opened, only for Pizza, but BAZBOV you say Costa has re-instated the evening buffet, is this correct?

2) TORONTO.GAL, (We're from Barrie). You stated your passport was on display for everyone to see, do they take the passports off you when you board? we've always kept them in the save. I would be concerned they might loose them, or worse still someone steal them.

Thanks

Carol

2) TORONTO.GAL, (We're from Barrie). You stated your passport was on display for everyone to see, do they take the passports off you when you board? we've always kept them in the save. I would be concerned they might loose them, or worse still someone steal them.

Thanks

Carol

There have been recent changes in rules for passports in Europe. As a result, they tend to keep your passport - this applies to all cruise lines. We just got back from a Princess Cruise and they kept them. What Costa did - which I still think is unforgivable - is make a photocopy of our passports and then left them in the mail slot outside our room. Since it was a port day, they sat there all day - available for anyone to get the information from. I am protective of the information on my passport.

The passports are safe! No question there. It is the information in them that is compromised.

Hope this helps - Judy (Toronto Gal)

HI everyone, thank you for all your comments, good and bad. We're booked on this cruise Jan.4th, Have sailed with Costa twice before B2B. out of Venice in 2010. We're also booked on MSC on the 19th. Like Namwicha, we've had our concerns, after reading different reviews, but then there's been some good reviews too, so we will " go with the flow". We usually drive down to Florida and cruise from there, on Celebrity, HAL, RCCL, but decided to try the Med again for a different intinary. I have two questions if someone can answer for me.

1). Re buffet in the evening, we like to eat supper around 5.30pm, so some times have it at the buffet, instead of in the MDR. I have read that the buffet isn't opened, only for Pizza, but BAZBOV you say Costa has re-instated the evening buffet, is this correct?

Thanks

Carol

Hello Carol. I can't say for definate whether the buffet has been re-instated for Evening times. I have just heard that's it is now open for a limited time in the evening,across the fleet with a limited choice of food. Maybe somebody who is currently on board or has just returned will give an answer. We are on the NeoRivierra in just over 2 weeks so i'll try and post our experience then. Hope this helps. Happy cruising. :)

Thank you Judy. I agree they shouldn't leave copies out side in the mail slot. If they can't give you a copy on check-in, the cabin steward should either slip it under the door or place inside the cabin. Thank you

Dancing Bob. Yes 5.30 is early, even in the Carribean we struggle, end up having " afternoon tea" then putting more weight on, that's why we usually end up in the buffet. Guess we can always have tea or fruit.

Bob, do you dance? We do ballroom dancing, and competed for Ont. Although we don't compete any more, too old.

As for passports, knew we should have renewed our Euro ones, and brought them instead, but had just renewed the Canadian ones for ten years. The hotel in Venice kept them until we sighed out, but I dont remember Costa doing it too, that was in 2010. I always bring copies with me. Thanks for your help too.

Carol

Pacifica last week was 7-9 PM. 5.30 is very early by European standards. All dining times are later than the Caribbean. Passports for non-EU have been held on every Med cruise I've taken.

Hello Dancer Bob. Thanks for that info. Hope you enjoyed the cruise. would love to hear your thoughts on it. We've booked the pacifica carribean transatlantic for 2018. Happy cruising. :)

We are on the NeoRivierra in just over 2 weeks so i'll try and post our experience then. Hope this helps. Happy cruising. :)

Why do you kepp rubbing it in, that you cruise in two weeks and I have to wait four weeks.:mad::D

Have a great cruise.

Yes Westway and 30-Up, also Lago in Woodbridge on Thurs and Pat and Cathy at Casa Ricca on Fri. Many years ago decided not to compete, have developed much more respect for good floorcraft.

Evening meal service I consider to be Costa's weakest point. There are some kind of afternoon snacks but I just finished lunch.

Was told entertainment was changing to suit South American market so my experience might differ.

Latin Dance Team is wonderful, two professional calibre partners even if they are not officially dance hostesses is unique. Completely different from HAL.

Am in Spain and France, then Diadema, have only tablet with crappy keyboard, reviews after I get home.

Edited by Dancer Bob

On the Pacifica three weeks ago buffet was open in the evening same as MDR as was the food on offer, also the Burger & Pizza bars.

Seems like they are trying out anytime dinning using the buffet, works quite well on the Neo ships we have tried, although personally don't like not having same table at night.

As for passports, knew we should have renewed our Euro ones, and brought them instead, but had just renewed the Canadian ones for ten years. The hotel in Venice kept them until we sighed out, but I dont remember Costa doing it too, that was in 2010. I always bring copies with me. Thanks for your help too.

Carol

The Schengen rules have changed - so your Canadian passport is now stamped at each port. At least it was in October - it might change again. :-)

Enjoy the cruise.

Yes Westway and 30-Up, also Lago in Woodbridge on Thurs and Pat and Cathy at Casa Ricca on Fri. Many years ago decided not to compete, have developed much more respect for good floorcraft.

Hi Dancing Bob, have been to both "Westway and 30-Up" clubs, but not for a few years. Lago and Casa Ricca no haven't been there.

Lago and Casa Ricca both in Woodbridge, very Italian, hefty meal included, if you mix together and add in Westway you end up with something like Costa. With the Latin Dance Teams, you can add in 30-Up. The Latin Teams are unique, two Gold-level partners, even if they're not officially dance hostesses and only part-time. Cunard used to be like that but not now, nobody else even close.

Thank you Judy. I agree they shouldn't leave copies out side in the mail slot. If they can't give you a copy on check-in, the cabin steward should either slip it under the door or place inside the cabin. Thank you

Dancing Bob. Yes 5.30 is early, even in the Carribean we struggle, end up having " afternoon tea" then putting more weight on, that's why we usually end up in the buffet. Guess we can always have tea or fruit.

Bob, do you dance? We do ballroom dancing, and competed for Ont. Although we don't compete any more, too old.

Carol

What do you mean " too old to compete"? You are never too old. You know Senior IV is for age 65/60.

Evening meal service I consider to be Costa's weakest point. There are some kind of afternoon snacks but I just finished lunch.

Was told entertainment was changing to suit South American market so my experience might differ.

Latin Dance Team is wonderful, two professional calibre partners even if they are not officially dance hostesses is unique. Completely different from HAL.

Am in Spain and France, then Diadema, have only tablet with crappy keyboard, reviews after I get home.

Dancer Bob, You know that competition dancing and good floorcraft don't rule out each other. When I was competing, I also did lots of social dancing. As it's impossible to follow a set routine in social dancing that taught me to lead my partner much better so I could even in competitions change my routine if necessary. In some cases before stepping on to the floor my partner asked me what I was planning to do, and then added "you do what you want and I just follow your lead". That made competition dancing much more fun.

Edited by cruisedancer-Fin

What do you mean " too old to compete"? You are never too old. You know Senior IV is for age 65/60.

Hi Cruisedancer, We would need Senior VII or something, we're 75 &. 80, we still dance, even if we do have some arthritis, and the dance shoe still go on cruises with us. Carol

Not just competitors practicing The Routine, but also dance studios who teach routines as a goal and not a tool. So that when their students get on the ship and find the dance floor crowded, they don't know how to take a few simple steps and just adjust for direction and distance.

Not just competitors practicing The Routine, but also dance studios who teach routines as a goal and not a tool. So that when their students get on the ship and find the dance floor crowded, they don't know how to take a few simple steps and just adjust for direction and distance.

Dancer Bob,

You've taken our words right out of our mouths. We just do plain basics on cruises, would be nice if one could stretch out. On two Costa cruises, ( can't remember which ships, will have to dig out the albums) they had beautiful dance floors, with lots of space. We had two completes, some times cancelled the dance to put on Bingo. The other was, when dancing little kids would run across the floor. We were doing a quick step, and a kid about 2yrs old ran right behind Doug, lucky I saw it, and stopped Doug in time, otherwise there would have been a bad accident, with the two of us, on top of the kid, and maybe others involved too. To this day, I still don't know how we stopped in time, good communication between our bodies, I guess.

Carol

I have done 10 cruises so far and out of Royal caribbean, Carnival, MSC, Costa and Norwegian, Costa was the best. Great food, excellent entertainment(lots of great live music and crowds dancing, great disco, , happy faces all around, etc.). Younger crowds will tend to like Costa better than the rest. The elderly - stick to quiat RC.

I've been on Costa Serena and just booked a TA on Costa Favolosa. Should be fabilousa.

Edited by Ku4anci