Strasbourg Concerns

ShelleyK

I am on the Viking Vidar- 12/15-12/24. (Basel to Amsterdam)

Hoping that they do not take Strasbourg off the itinerary based on recent events. May be safer than ever at this point? Has anyone heard from Viking about the situation? Have any of the other River Cruise lines reacted to any of this?

Edited by ShelleyK

That's good to know. I hadn't heard that. I hope that all of the markets on the Rhine, as well as the Danube, will take extra care and provide extra security. One would think they would target larger areas for more publicity and casualties, so I was really surprised by this.

I just happened to catch it on the national news on Friday night. There was nothing in the newspaper and very few details anywhere. If anyone hears anything, please share. Thanks!

When we were there in October, there were soldiers with assault rifles guarding the cathedral. In retrospect, we believe the cathedral was a potential target.

That being said, it's highly unlikely they'd now strike a heavily-protected site.

When we were there on a recent cruise, we were told by our tour guide that there are always guards around the cathedral, particularly on Sundays. We felt very safe.

Cole

Visited Christmas markets and cathedral in Strasbourg last week, off the AMAcerto. We noted lots of security troops in the city center, with body armor and automatic weapons. Were not aware of any imminent threats but later found out some bad actors had been arrested before our visit. Christmas markets were in full swing but relatively uncrowded. We loved the city and this was the best Christmas market on our cruise IMO. Stayed late in the city for dinner and took a taxi to our ship docked in Kehl.

If you are concerned about security, you can always stay home but look what happened in New York, Columbine, and other US cities? Those people did not expect violence either. My spouse said best trip he'd ever taken was a barge cruise in Burgundy right after 9/11. We felt completely safe in France, more so than in the US. About 80% of our cruise group cancelled their trip, forfeited the cruise fare (this was before terrorism at home was added to trip insurance packages.) I suspect many of those people who cancelled never travelled again. I'd rather have an enriched life than hide out in my basement.