Gieranger Norway Question

mhb1757

we are on a Viking cruise this summer and will call at Geiranger. Our included excursion will take us up to Eagles bend and sites on that side of the fjord. We are trying to decide between the bus to Mt Dalsnibba or the fjord cruise for the other part of the day.

Any opinions on which is better?

Originally we thought we would wait and see what the weather was like and just buy tickets for either the bus or boat after we arrived. However on the day we are there it appears that 3 other cruise ships are in port, 2 of which have >2500 passengers each. This makes me think it might be best to purchase tickets on line before we leave home. Any advice about this??

Thanks.

Rather than go on another excursion why don't you explore Geiranger itself and walk upto the Fjordcentre? It's a lovely walk and the Centre is very interesting - it takes you up behind the village past local houses & hotels. There's a very pleasant cafe at the Centre where you can sit and enjoy the scenery. Come back when you're ready and explore the town which won't take long but there are pleasant strolls to be had through it.

I believe the fjord cruise you mention is just a repeat of the journey you'll have already done anyway to get to Geiranger, but I could be wrong.

I'll arrange the bus tours myself for the day in Geiranger. As by Morgans you will see the Geiranger fjord from the ship at arrival and departure - see the video of the fjord from the ship below.

The easiest way to see two of Geiranger's famous viewpoints (Flydalsjuvet and Ørnesvingen - *Eagle bend*) on a short round trip by bus. Tickets at the Tourist information office on the pier or online at this link.

At the link you can also see the other offerings.

From my 'Eagle bend' tour

JII3U8eJbCQ

lj27w5PLG9o

A fjord cruise doesn't really make sense, because you'll pass through the same scenery on the sail-in and/or sail-out. The fjord walls are so high that the even on a much larger cruise ship, there isn't a significant difference in the scenery from the water. The bigger difference is definitely in seeing the view from above. You'll get a nice view from Eagle's Bend, but I would definitely try to get more of the hillside views like Flydalsjuvet while you're in port.

Mt.Dalsnibba has a fantastic view, but only if it's not covered in clouds, so be sure that any trip up there includes some of the lower vantage points as well.

For a more active option (with no booking necessary), Geiranger has a nice network of hiking trails. There's a straightforward uphill trail behind the Hotel Union that leads up to the Vesterås Gard farm, and from there it's an easy walk over to the Vesteråsfjellet viewpoint or a bit more moderate hike up to Løsta.

For a more active option (with no booking necessary), Geiranger has a nice network of hiking trails. There's a straightforward uphill trail behind the Hotel Union that leads up to the Vesterås Gard farm, and from there it's an easy walk over to the Vesteråsfjellet viewpoint or a bit more moderate hike up to Løsta.
I second this recommendation.

If you really do want to be on the water, another option might be to kayak on the fjord. That does give you a different viewpoint, and at a different speed, from the sail-in and sail-out.