Ship to Cities / Shuttle Buses

janieb1962

Hi All,

We are on Oceana next week, flying to Genoa, then cruising to Florence, Naples, Dubrovnik and Venice. I've read a bit about these places, and have booked P&O excursions for Florence and Pompeii.

Does anyone know if it's far from where the ship docks to get into Genoa, Venice and Dubrovnik. We were thinking of going alone to these places and wondering how far it might be / how to get there?

Read somethings about shuttle buses Do P&O offer these and if so is there a charge.

Any info gratefully received as always :)

Can only speak for Genoa, basically an easy flat walk from cruise terminal turn right along the front past the maritime museum you will see a sort of square across the road where lots of little alley ways branch off.

When I got off at the port they had tour buses right outside trying to push people to take them. I went on a much cheaper seaside type train/bus from the square I mentioned. Took about 45 minutes so short n sweet but well worth it compared to what the other tours cost. I then checked out some of the places I'd seen on foot after the train thingy finished!

Hi just done that cruise. In Venice they offer a water shuttle bus cost £15 each (1 day) or £28 for unlimited for 2 days. What they do for the rest of ports there are shuttle buses swipe your cruise cards. For those that do not get if free pay approx 2.50 each way. Dubrovnik you will need to take the shuttle.

Just to point out we did the Genoa to Genoa cruise the first 7 days you have to pay 22% vat on all purchases, they do not put out the duty free stuff until it has left Venice.

Hayley

Hi just done that cruise. In Venice they offer a water shuttle bus cost £15 each (1 day) or £28 for unlimited for 2 days. What they do for the rest of ports there are shuttle buses swipe your cruise cards. For those that do not get if free pay approx 2.50 each way. Dubrovnik you will need to take the shuttle.

Just to point out we did the Genoa to Genoa cruise the first 7 days you have to pay 22% vat on all purchases, they do not put out the duty free stuff until it has left Venice.

Hayley

Thanks for the shuttle info ... In terms of the 22%vat I assume that's on purchases made ashore .. Or is it on the ship too?

Hayley

Hi Hayley,

I am doing this cruise later in the year. Are the Venice water shuttles free (like the land based shuttles) if I'm entitled to free shuttles?

Thanks, Jenny

The P&O waterbus shuttle is chargeable to all. It only runs to and from St Marks square and does not go down the Grand Canal. A better buy is to purchase an all day ticket for the normal waterbus, which gives you unlimited travel anywhere. This now costs €20.

There is also a limited free bus transfer to Piazzale Roma for wheelchair passengers.

Brian

First time for us last week visiting Flornce.Unbelivable. Beautiful city.Well worth the tour as it was an hours drive away from port.We did the half day tour and half day explore.Make sure you have a map its easy to get lost! Enjoy.

Hi All,

We are on Oceana next week, flying to Genoa, then cruising to Florence, Naples, Dubrovnik and Venice. I've read a bit about these places, and have booked P&O excursions for Florence and Pompeii.

Does anyone know if it's far from where the ship docks to get into Genoa, Venice and Dubrovnik. We were thinking of going alone to these places and wondering how far it might be / how to get there?

Read somethings about shuttle buses Do P&O offer these and if so is there a charge.

Good afternoon Jan.

Here is some information on Genoa...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/06/13/one-way-to-do-genoa/

A Ho-Ho bus route picks up outside of the cruise terminal, that's the Terminal building at the rear...

14156678119_717c897547_z.jpg

otherwise it's not too difficult to walk.

Edited by Solent Richard

Hi All,

Now for Venice. The following link will explain the options you have from the cruise terminal...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/04/22/one-way-to-do-venice/

Vaparetto....

13947936305_3314d918cd_z.jpg

or People Mover...

6995935515_c768436fe1_z.jpg

Whatever you choose, Venice is a place to be enjoyed...

13948321313_515807129c_z.jpg

PS. I have recently written an alternative walking route through Venice entitled Venice off the Beaten Track...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/04/24/venice-off-the-beaten-track/

which, among other sites, will take you to Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo...

16879350877_f0a9e116d2_z.jpg

Hi All,

Depends on whether or not you tender - I have done both.

Assuming though you berth alongside at the port of Gruz, which is a neighbourhood of Dubrovnik, some 2.5Km from the ‘Old Town', here is another guide that may assist you...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/05/one-way-to-do-dubrovnik/

We grabbed the first taxi available, opting to share with two other passengers – at a cost of €10 total. The biggest advantage here is that you beat the crowds whether you want to 'walk the walls' or do the Cable Car'.

9667909287_735c9f29db_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard