Children during term time ?

themanwithahat

Hi. We are considering a family cruise (11 of us) probably in July 2016 - a 12 or 14 night to the Canaries or the Med - out of the school holidays, Ventura or Azura.

One of our number is worried about there being too many children running about on those ships which are advertised for families. I've been on Ventura twice, Azura once, all three times in the school holidays and hardly ever saw any children.

Outside of the school holidays and with the slightly longer cruise, it may be quieter I'd think ? Can anyone confirm this (or otherwise ?)

TIA

In theory yes it should be quieter as school age children will struggle to get time off with the new term time holiday regulations, however head teachers can still use discretion in some circumstances so there may be some children. My 8 year old will be on ventura in June.

Younger than school age children are unaffected unless they have older siblings and more likely to be on board as it is cheaper for their parents out of term time.

Hi. We are considering a family cruise (11 of us) probably in July 2016 - a 12 or 14 night to the Canaries or the Med - out of the school holidays, Ventura or Azura.

One of our number is worried about there being too many children running about on those ships which are advertised for families. I've been on Ventura twice, Azura once, all three times in the school holidays and hardly ever saw any children.

Outside of the school holidays and with the slightly longer cruise, it may be quieter I'd think ? Can anyone confirm this (or otherwise ?)

TIA

All of July is school holiday time in Scotland.

One of our number is worried about there being too many children running about on those ships which are advertised for families.

Children should never be allowed to run around in any public area on a ship by themselves. Safety first and all that.

Sometimes parents are awful, they way they allow their "Princess" to run riot on ships, ruining it for everyone else.

Kids should be put in a kids club and confined to areas not frequented by real Cruise Passengers.

July is also holiday time for all chidren who took exams and those who go to private school, which generally finish the last Friday of July.

It is also a popular time for people with younger children as everyone knows nothing happens in primary school in July other than sports day and Canaries and Med are child friendly destinations.

Best time for an in term holiday is mid September, or choose a cruise to northen ports as they are less popular with families.

Kids should be put in a kids club and confined to areas not frequented by real Cruise Passengers.

You want to be careful with this sort of thing, or people really will believe you're as snooty as you make yourself out to be.

Well said :)

did a transatlantic in October in 2011 - less than 90 kids aboard only saw them once during the ay when doing a candy hunt on Halloween and otherwise sometimes in buffet or poolside with parents really quiet otherwise. Taking my will be 9month old son in October on ventura...

Edited by lebreos

We holiday as a couple in our late 50s during school holidays and have never had any problems with children on any of the ships. Well if I had a small niggle it would be the teens who take over the jacuzzis but as I don't frequent them anyway, not a problem.:confused:

Ventura/Azura tend to average about 700 under 16 in August but less then a hundred during term time. This is a very noticeable difference so if you have been before during holidays and didn't think it was too bad you should be fine :)

If you want peace and quiet and NO KIDS then why don't you try and book an ADULT only cruise? They sail to some nice interesting places too. I work in a special needs school and can only book a holiday when all the kids are off I went on Azura last year I never really noticed the kids they have loads to do in the clubs etc. was a bit hectic around pools kids jumping in and having fun so we just used the ADULTS only pool at the front of the ship it was quiet for sunbathing there too.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

If you want peace and quiet and NO KIDS then why don't you try and book an ADULT only cruise? They sail to some nice interesting places too. I work in a special needs school and can only book a holiday when all the kids are off I went on Azura last year I never really noticed the kids they have loads to do in the clubs etc. was a bit hectic around pools kids jumping in and having fun so we just used the ADULTS only pool at the front of the ship it was quiet for sunbathing there too.

Indeed. The people who are worried about "too many children" have not actually cruised before, and another not for 25 years, and another only on Fred Olsen. I know what they mean, you sometimes see hordes of uncontrolled children in some holiday places.

I've been on Azura once and Ventura twice, all in the school holidays (can't go in term time as missus is at college) and hardly seen any at all.

We have narrowed it down to three cruises (it's a group thing) one of which is Oriana X612, but I am trying to persuade them not to assume that N618/A618 (both of which are in early July) are not going to have floods of children, because I don't think they will have and to pick the cruise they like the most, not just the one which won't have any children.

For a variety of reasons we are quite limited in when we can go and people want to go somewhere warm (these three are Canaries/Med cruises).

I would also add that the children I have seen have been impeccably behaved !

You love a good old WUM Lynn,

Now I draw your attention to the adults with sticks that always manage to make it to the left or food queue before everyone else and fail to say please or thank you unlike most Children I have encountered on cruise ships, and who in general are very polite.

Term time you will not really notice, you will still find Children on board of course.

This is on the margin of school summer holidays and there will be fewer children on board. The length of cruise will also deter some parents from booking due to costs. In any case most children spend a lot of time in the children's club. The only place you may have interaction is swimming in the pools however there is an adult only variant. I do not see that you have any problems to worry about.

Regards John