Prague to port in Warnemunde

We would like to fly into Prague precruise and take a train to the port in Warnemunde. I am having difficulty finding information regarding train service or even bus service to accomplish this. Has anyone done this? Know how? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. There are 3 of us, 2 adults and a will be 11 year old boy. Thank you in advance!

We would like to fly into Prague precruise and take a train to the port in Warnemunde. I am having difficulty finding information regarding train service or even bus service to accomplish this. Has anyone done this? Know how? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. There are 3 of us, 2 adults and a will be 11 year old boy. Thank you in advance!

Oh, I love Prague. Yes, take the train from Prague to Rostock, not Warnemunde. From Rostock, you change trains to Warnemunde (train ride is only about 15 minutes from Rostock to Warnemunde).

Check out the Deutsche Bahn website for train times/costs.

Edited by dogs4fun

We took a train from Berlin to Prague . You would do the reverse, and switch trains in Berlin. Here is the German rail website:

https://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml

I did a dummy booking and it looks like you would be switching trains several times and traveling overnite. It might work better to take a train from Prague to Berlin and spend the nite there and then proceeding to Warnemunde the next day. I checked out this option and it can be done. Tickets become available @12 weeks out and the sooner you book, the more reasonable the fare.

Good Luck!

One way to check is to use the German Rail website... http://www.bahn.com

I did a quick test and found a few different routes offered. Some seem to transfer trains in Buchen and others in Leipzig. Looks to be between a 7-9 hour train ride.

From Prague train station to Rostock takes about 7.5 hours. I also did a dummy booking on the Bahn site. If you catch the bus (BUS4337 - IC Bus Direction: Leipzig Hbf Goethestraße) - (train station: Praha hl.n), you would arrive Rostock at 13.25.

Regardless, you would still have to change trains in Berlin (whether you overnight in Berlin or continue on to Rostock/Warnemunde).

Hi, great choice, Prague is one of my favorite cities. I try to fit in a visit every year, usually at Christmas.

All the information below is taken from the recently updated DB website http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en and my own personal experience. You did not give a travel date so I used a random date in May but most of these trains run daily.

As already said, whichever route you take, as the main line trains terminate in Rostock you must take either the s-bahn train or a taxi (cost around 25-30euro) from there to your ship in Warnemünde, journey time about 30 mins.

The quickest and most direct route involves one change of train in Büchen, a small town with a very 'easy' station - only two main line platforms, lifts etc.

Dep. Prague Hbf. 8:28am Arr.Rostock Hbf. 4:50pm

Dep. Prague Hbf. 10:28am Arr.Rostock Hbf. 6:50pm

and so on every two hours throughout the day. Journey time approx. 8h:20m

If you decide to travel via Berlin the journey time is only slightly longer, 8h:55m. if you travel straight through to Rostock.

Dep. Prague Hbf. 8:28am Arr. Berlin Hbf. 12:27pm.

Dep. Berlin Hbf 2:41pm Arr. Rostock Hbf. 5:23pm

and so on every two hours throughout the day.

If you choose to stay overnight in Berlin the service to Rostock is every two hours throughout the day starting at 6:41am, travel time 2h40m

I would not recommend Prague to Warnemünde on the day of the ship's departure as there would be no room for error ie. missed connection, delayed train etc. but either choice would give you time for an over night stay and a quick look around Rostock or Berlin in the evening or next morning. In both cities the InterCity hotel, very well rated and reasonably priced, is about 100 yds. from the station entrance with good local transport around the city.

In either case seats can be booked on the first leg (EuroCity train), and I would strongly recommend this, but not on the second leg (RE train). However, RE's always have plenty of seats.

To get the best prices the journey, with or without an overnight stopover in Berlin, can be booked from 90 days in advance, on-line. At the moment the special for 90 days in advance is 49.90 euros pp. as opposed to the standard price of 128 euro pp. A considerable saving with the only catch being that the tickets are not flexible, they must be used on the train nominated when booking and they go fast so you need to be booking on the earliest possible day.

I hope this helps. It sounds complicated but is really a very easy journey. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Happy planning and cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

• 4 months later...

Hi Anni, I have followed your directions and booked our tickets for June 12. I got a much lower price than your test booking (I believe it was 86E for the 3 of us) and am wondering if all is well. The ticket is for 3 people, 2 adults and 1 child (11). The ticket states:

2 Erwachsene, 1 Kind I could not find how to get it in English but am assuming that is correct. I did not see a way to reserve certain seats such as ones facing each other with a table. Possible? Again any help you could provide is much appreciated. You have eased my travel concerns :)

Anni I checked my account and my total charge was actually 58E!

Hi, yes it is correct. My sample booking was made before the new price structure came out in December.

I did another sample just a few minutes ago and your cost breaks down to a special fare on that particular train of 29E pp. and a child 6-14 yrs travelling free. The standard flexi price would be a whopping 270E so it just shows how important it is to buy ASAP before all the specials are snapped up.

So pleased you did :D

Have you already been assigned seats? If not, you can reserve seats using the same method as you did to book your tickets. Choose the train for which you already have a ticket. When you get to the 'tickets and options' page the bottom option is for seat reservations without buying a ticket. Ticking this will give you the options to choose the type of seats you would like, you pay on line and print out the details.

If you have already been assigned seats you could try to change them in Prague station or take them and after the train has started look for better seats which are not marked as reserved.

Happy travelling :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Extra information added