Nieuw Amsterdam tips, suggestions, and recommendations please

CruiseMob

We'll be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the first time in August 2016. We've sailed the Oosterdam and the Westerdam before so we're not new to HAL, but I'd really appreciate any tips, suggestions, or recommendations about the Nieuw Amsterdam.

My DD loves swimming so I've reserved a Lido cabana for the cruise. Is this crazy for an Alaska cruise? How does this typically work, do you have the same cabana for the entire cruise, or is it based on the day? Also what comes with the cabana?

Also what is the silk den? Is it a lounge? Does the Tamarind need reservations for lunch?

Any tips, ideas, suggestions, or recommendations on must do, or must try or must see or must eat is greatly appreciated!

You'll be assigned a cabana for the whole cruise.

Silk Den is a bar up by the Tamarind, Deck 10 midship. You don't need reservations for Tamarind lunch, generally.

I have to disagree about the reservations for tamarind for lunch. They seem to go fast as some people don't want to pay the price for dinner. The lunch is mediocre. You may be able to get in for lunch without a reservation but you may have to share a table.

I think the lido cabana is great for alaska because it's way to hot for the caribbean.

I'll defer to Cruz Chic on the Tamarind lunch. We might have been on when the Tamarind was slow. They were trying to drum up lunch and dinner business around the pool.

I'll defer to Cruz Chic on the Tamarind lunch. We might have been on when the Tamarind was slow. They were trying to drum up lunch and dinner business around the pool.

There has been a few times when I've phoned a day before and they told me it was booked solid. This has also happened to me for the pinnacle. It likely varies by cruise. It's been pretty full in there when I've gone for lunch.

Edited by cruz chic

We'll be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the first time in August 2016.

Also what is the silk den? Is it a lounge? Does the Tamarind need reservations for lunch?

Any tips, ideas, suggestions, or recommendations on must do, or must try or must see or must eat is greatly appreciated!

Here is my photographic tour of the Nieuw Amsterdam that I made last December so that you can get oriented as to what to expect:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

You must try the Tamarind Dinner. Here is the current menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tamarind-Dinner-Menu.pdf

The Tamarind also has a Bento Box that can be delivered to your stateroom in lieu of using Room Service. Here is the Bento Box menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tamarind-Dinner-Menu.pdf

Edited by Crew News

Yes, the popularity of the Tamarind may vary by cruise. Saw people turned away a couple of times during our January cruise. Since it is only open from 12 to 1, there are not a lot of opportunities for seating. Also, it is not open every day of the cruise. I would recommend making reservations the first day you are on board.

Thanks everyone! Crew News your pictures are fantastic! I think you have given me the means to talk my sister and friends into joining us. :) Thanks so much!

In one of the pics of the cabana there appeared to be a menu, does anyone know what that is? I didn't see it close, so maybe its rules or something and not a menu.

We'll look at making a ressie for Tamarind for dinner and maybe lunch also. Love Bento Boxes, so may have to do that also. LOL! :D

The menu is probably a printed Dive-in menu. That's what was in our cabana.
What's a "Dive-in" menu?

Are the Lido cabana's by the pool? I've been looking at pictures and I can't seem to figure out their location.

For those that have done lunch at the Tamarind is the dim sum not worth a visit?

At the time that we did the Tamarind lunch, they did not have the rice. We did not get one of everything that was listed. DH went away hungry.

We have never had a "Dive-In" menu in our cabin on any ship. There is board outside what was known as the Terrace Grill that lists the various hamburgers and hot dogs.

What's a "Dive-in" menu?

Are the Lido cabana's by the pool? I've been looking at pictures and I can't seem to figure out their location.

For those that have done lunch at the Tamarind is the dim sum not worth a visit?

Yes, the lido cabanas are by the pool.

The lunch in the tamarind us free so yes I guess it's worth it. It is mediocre and the dinner is much much better.

The dive in is the burger and hot dog place. To me it's not as good as the hype on this board. It's ok.

At the time that we did the Tamarind lunch, they did not have the rice. We did not get one of everything that was listed. DH went away hungry.

We have never had a "Dive-In" menu in our cabin on any ship. There is board outside what was known as the Terrace Grill that lists the various hamburgers and hot dogs.

I think the dive in menu is in the cabana not cabins. I've never had a bento box menu in my cabin.

Just to be clear the menu linked about is not the bento box menu. That is the tamarind evening menu.

Cruz chic is right. Saw this last night and thought it was wrong! It is the evening menu. I remember some time ago some one had a link to the lunch menu! I would love a good bento box!

Denise😄

we were unhappy with the Tamarind on our recent Eurodam cruise...we also went away hungry and dissapointed in both the service and the food.. the food was much too spicy and we were never even offered coffee or tea

the dive-in has great burgers and fries..we got the buzzer, but I always asked how long it would be and that was a great help and pretty accurate.

cooked just the way you want them, too !!

As is often the case, to each his own when it comes to dining. My husband and I love lunch and dinner in the Tamarind. ( for what it is worth, he is Chinese and I am not). We enjoy the dim sum and, except for the hottest dipping sauce, didn't find anything to be particularly spicy. At all. So it definitely is a matter of different tastes for different pslates.

As for the service, we have always found that they offer the most exceptional service on the entire ship.

Now, for the hot dogs at the Dive In. Oh my! I never make hot dogs at home because I know they are so, so bad for you. However, I eat one every single day on our cruises because I just can't resist the great hot dog, the great toasted bun and the crispy onions on top! Oh dear! And we don't have a cruise booked until November!

Edited by ithaca gal
Spelling

As is often the case, to each his own when it comes to dining. My husband and I love lunch and dinner in the Tamarind. ( for what it is worth, he is Chinese and I am not). We enjoy the dim sum and, except for the hottest dipping sauce, didn't find anything to be particularly spicy. At all. So it definitely is a matter of different tastes for different pslates.

As for the service, we have always found that they offer the most exceptional service on the entire ship.

Now, for the hot dogs at the Dive In. Oh my! I never make hot dogs at home because I know they are so, so bad for you. However, I eat one every single day on our cruises because I just can't resist the great hot dog, the great toasted bun and the crispy onions on top! Oh dear! And we don't have a cruise booked until November!

Totally agree with your comments on the Tamarind. When we are on the ships that have it, we always have one or two dinner reservations. Wish HAL would upgrade the remaining fleet with them.

Dan

I find the only thing that's spicy is the salad at lunch. When it comes to the sauces I like them hot. I ask for sambel a lot in the MDR and they marvel at how spicy I like it.

Cruz chic is right. Saw this last night and thought it was wrong! It is the evening menu. I remember some time ago some one had a link to the lunch menu! I would love a good bento box!

Denise😄

My mistake on posting the menu. Here is the Bento Box menu that was given out in the Tamarind:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tamarind-Bento-Box.pdf

Based on our Scandinavian journey aboard the Eurodam last year, we will "Dive In" frequently when we board the NA in 24 days! Delicious, convenient (with the buzzer), and portable (to a deck or your veranda). How can you beat that? Only if you order a Blue Moon with your burger.

Sorry. Being about to retire, I am technologically challenged. The pleasant person who takes your order will give you a hand-held device that buzzes (or maybe it rings?) when your food is ready. Sip the Blue Moon while you wait just outside on the deck, if you like.