Tax Free Spree

Sand & Seas, I did it!!! OMG!! I called CAS and they had my certificate information on file, which she forwarded to me. I was able to book my cruise on the Breakaway for $280 for two of us. It's an inside room...Do you think I need to do an upgrade before the tax free spree promo is over?? She quoted me $350 pp to upgrade to a balcony... I'm hoping to wait till prices drop to upgrade. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's great! I am so happy for you! Aren't those agents at CAS easy to talk to? I'm not sure about the need to upgrade before the Tax Free spree is over. I want to say that you would keep your current promos (which includes the Tax Free) but I'm not a hundred percent sure on that part as it's an unusual promo. When I've done the upgrade in the past the same promos as I originally booked were available so I didn't have that one to lose. If you're sure you want an upgrade call and ask CAS if you would need to do that now in order to keep the Tax Free. You might want to check on an Ocean-view. There are a lot of good OVs available on the Breakaway and it is generally about $90 per person from inside to OV.

If they say your TaxFree is upgrade-able later, I would suggest you keep an eye on the current cost of your Inside room and the cost of Ocean-views and Balconies. I did this when I was comped an Ocean-view. When my OA (top ocean-view category) was very close in price to the bottom category of Balcony I called and asked to pay for the upgrade. I was extremely lucky on that one and they just moved me into it at no cost.

On another occasion, I just had to pay the cost difference for the current pricing. I got a top category Balcony for $110 per person. Hopefully you will have a chance (unless cruise is very full) to get it for much less than $350 per person. The Breakaway is a big ship with a lot of good balcony cabins so I think you're chances are better than on a smaller ship.

You will also be eligible for the new email Upgrade advantage program. There is no guarantee, but you might get an email from them about 80 days before the cruise where you will be able to 'bid' on the next two higher categories, which would be OV and Balcony. With this program you would definitely keep whatever promos you started with. (Personally, I just like to call CAS and pay the difference so I can pick out the cabin I want.....but to keep a good promo I would try the email bidding.)

So glad you have a great cruise booked at a really good price:D

Now all I have to do is tell my husband we are booked on a second cruise...I think I'll tell him on the May 21 cruise to Bermuda while he's enjoying the UBP!!🤣🤣

Excellent plan! As we are flying back home from a cruise, my DH always asks me when and where we are going next. Luckily, I always have a couple more booked:cool:

Excellent plan! As we are flying back home from a cruise, my DH always asks me when and where we are going next. Luckily, I always have a couple more booked:cool:

I like your style. We're in NY so no flying necessary. I tell ya, a woman's work is never done!!

I called CAS today to get the Admin fees reduced and have the taxes removed on my two November cruises. The rep told me (actually two reps, but the first call was dropped) that I would have to rebook, and I may lose my cabins. I have an angled balcony on one, and an aft balcony on the other. I know it's a small possibility, but I'm not willing to take the chance. I've also read here that the cruises don't have to be rebooked, and to just call back and speak with a different rep. Would be nice if it could all be done with one phone call.

Combining this with an offer from CAS got me an amazing price. One inside ID for two, one B2 angled balcony for two, total price out of pocket for all four people combined is $1001.40. We all four get the 3 meal dining plus combined we get $200 OBC and 250 minutes of wifi, PLUS all of he platinum freebies on top of that. I am sure someone has gotten a lot better offer than that but I am happy with it.

That's really good!! Was one of your offers for a balcony or did you upgrade?

That's great! I am so happy for you! Aren't those agents at CAS easy to talk to? I'm not sure about the need to upgrade before the Tax Free spree is over. I want to say that you would keep your current promos (which includes the Tax Free) but I'm not a hundred percent sure on that part as it's an unusual promo. When I've done the upgrade in the past the same promos as I originally booked were available so I didn't have that one to lose. If you're sure you want an upgrade call and ask CAS if you would need to do that now in order to keep the Tax Free. You might want to check on an Ocean-view. There are a lot of good OVs available on the Breakaway and it is generally about $90 per person from inside to OV.

If they say your TaxFree is upgrade-able later, I would suggest you keep an eye on the current cost of your Inside room and the cost of Ocean-views and Balconies. I did this when I was comped an Ocean-view. When my OA (top ocean-view category) was very close in price to the bottom category of Balcony I called and asked to pay for the upgrade. I was extremely lucky on that one and they just moved me into it at no cost.

On another occasion, I just had to pay the cost difference for the current pricing. I got a top category Balcony for $110 per person. Hopefully you will have a chance (unless cruise is very full) to get it for much less than $350 per person. The Breakaway is a big ship with a lot of good balcony cabins so I think you're chances are better than on a smaller ship.

You will also be eligible for the new email Upgrade advantage program. There is no guarantee, but you might get an email from them about 80 days before the cruise where you will be able to 'bid' on the next two higher categories, which would be OV and Balcony. With this program you would definitely keep whatever promos you started with. (Personally, I just like to call CAS and pay the difference so I can pick out the cabin I want.....but to keep a good promo I would try the email bidding.)

So glad you have a great cruise booked at a really good price:D

Knowing that CAS told me an upgrade to a balcony would cost $350pp, I called my non-CAS PCC just to ask what the cost would be to upgrade from inside to a balcony...he said $200pp!! I told him CAS was charging $350pp...anyways, I called CAS just to confirm the upgrade price and was told $350 again. This time I asked why and mentioned price difference online was only $200...he said CAS has different pricings (??) He did say I can upgrade at anytime after the tax free promo without losing it. I guess I'll be calling CAS every other day to check prices! Wish me luck!!!

Knowing that CAS told me an upgrade to a balcony would cost $350pp, I called my non-CAS PCC just to ask what the cost would be to upgrade from inside to a balcony...he said $200pp!! I told him CAS was charging $350pp...anyways, I called CAS just to confirm the upgrade price and was told $350 again. This time I asked why and mentioned price difference online was only $200...he said CAS has different pricings (??) He did say I can upgrade at anytime after the tax free promo without losing it. I guess I'll be calling CAS every other day to check prices! Wish me luck!!!

In the past CAS always had set prices to move up a category or two and perhaps that is still true when you first book. Then I found that when I called closer to the cruise date and say that I could see that the prices on the category I wanted had dropped I could get a cheaper upgrade. One time I got the standard answer/price and then I just said 'thanks for checking' and declined the upgrade. The next day I called back and got a different agent who checked and gave me a much cheaper price to upgrade. Some of them may not be as knowledgeable (or willing to check?) as another, but it doesn't hurt to try again especially as you get closer to the cruise date. Good Luck!

Extended! Just checked and NCL is showing they have extended this offer to 4/24. From Terms and Condition's:

Tax Free Spree Promotion: Free Government taxes, port expenses & fees for Guest 1 & 2

Booking Window Closes: April 24, 2017 11:59 PM EST

cool about extending and it really is a good sale because it's legit. i'm actively researching royal on a daily basis and their sales are a total joke. todays sale is over 200 more than what i paid 2 weeks ago. they just play with numbers and i feel is dishonest. also for anyone that has never done research on other lines, NCL including the free things they do (even with the fees added on ) is really a good deal. very few other lines offer ANYTHING free, not even soda packages etc. also some lines make it impossible to see what the things cost. on royal you cannot see what drinks or internet or SDP costs until you book and you are close to sailing date (for SDP). with NCL there are very clear pages about all pricing so i give them 2 thumbs up for transparency

We took advantage of it too. As you indicated, tax free spree is no longer available

This is my new favorite promo! I hope they bring it back again. I guess they needed to get some cabins filled on those specified cruises. Worked out great for us:cool:

This is my new favorite promo! I hope they bring it back again. I guess they needed to get some cabins filled on those specified cruises. Worked out great for us:cool:

Now the upgrade waiting game begins!!! I'm going to Bermuda on Breakaway on May 21, so I'll worry about it later!!